Jump starting 24v from a 12v (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Quick question. I have a 24v system (juat one battery). My 24v battery is dead. Can i jump start it using a car with a 12v electrical system?

Thanks,

Yes,
Not sure what you are driving though.
If you need 24 volts get two 12v batteries and connect one + and one - of each battery, you will now have another set + and - to connect your cables to for 24 volts.

Just disconnect ur battery's from each other and charge them one at a time 12v to 12v. Connect the back and turn it on.

I have a 2H. At the risk of sounding like a nube, I can just find the one battery. Sorry, I haven't had this thing for long.

20170328_213621.jpg

Is that a 24V battery if so I would not recommend jumping a 12V onto it you may get a huge power spike combining the two.
Are you sure its 24V and not 12V system I'm not familiar with all the 2H systems world wide.

Let me get it .. you claim to have a 24V HJ60 with just one 24V battery ..?

Mr. T did 2 batteries to get 24V on all Diesel applications I'm aware of ..

Thats a Bosch S Series battery.. I'm not aware of any 24V Bosch S Series batteries.. I'm 99% confident thats a 12V battery.

Multimeter time..

Can you take a pic of your whole engine bay?

charge the battery, replace the battery or push start the vehicle would be my first 3 choices before considering putting 12v across a 24v battery if it is a 24v battery

My multimeter is 2 hours away. I'll take a pic this weekend.

This battery is freaking huge though! Maybe its a 12v conversion?

20170329_003734.jpg

Any idea on what the engine came out of and what area of the world?

99% of 2Hs in Australia are 12V..

I live in Chile and they stopped importing diesel LCs after the BJ40. I have no idea where this engine comes from.

The battery I have is a Bosch S3. All signs point to this being a regular old 12v.

Manual or auto gearbox?
You cant turn the key on select 2nd or 3rd gear and pop the clutch if you can get her to roll or tow to start if manaul.
You would need some power for fuel solenoid unless bypassed.
Or try a good 12v battery and if that doesnt work a second battery in series.

It's a manual.

I got her jumped yesterday. No problems. Its definitely a 12v system.

BTW, I drove it for the first time on the highway today. Serious lack of power at high speeds. I feel like the floor fell out on a slight incline...

BTW, I drove it for the first time on the highway today. Serious lack of power at high speeds. I feel like the floor fell out on a slight incline...

The 2H is not a race spec engine thats for sure.. It doesnt like climbing hills. I'm not sure what you consider "high speeds".. but anything over 85kph with the 40 series 4 speed transmission is an issue :)

A turbo is frequently added in Australia.. but prior to doing that you should really tick off the list of basic checks to make sure the engine is operating optimally:

• Fresh fuel filter
  • Fresh air filter
  • Injection timing bang on (spill timing method)
  • Valve train well adjusted
  • Fresh injectors
  • Good compression (nothing you can do about this without a rebuild but worth checking)
  • Tyre pressures good (I run mine quite high)

There's also a fuel control screw for the Wide Open Throttle setting.. I've found that even factory set ones can be a little conservative.. if you're not seeing a little bit of black smoke under heavy load I'd be winding it out a bit more.

But dont expect too much.. the 2H is not a highway engine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom