joyota my Toyota in jeeps clothing

Discussion in 'HardCore Corner' started by smileyshaun, May 19, 2018.

1. smileyshaun

smileyshaun

Been busy with end of school year stuff with the kids and getting stuff done around my dad's house but took an hour break from it today and got the rear shock Tower mostly in 20180612_152112.jpg
    Also I think I found a simple solution for the front shocks think I'll just run some F250 shock towers with some extra plating around it and probably a bar over the top of the motor to give it a little extra rigidity
    20180612_151239.jpg

G-Cat and GLTHFJ60 like this.
  2. SuperBuickGuy

SuperBuickGuy

a couple things to keep in mind (I realize the rear isn't done) but be sure that the shock body touches nothing throughout articulation. And second, GM staggered shocks (put the attachment in the front and rear) to help stop axle wrap - and it's a valid solution as long as you realize the next point; you want your shocks at 5* from perfectly vertical otherwise the shock rate goes up as a square of that same angle.

I'll put that another way. Shock rates are determined at nearly vertical, and the further you get away from vertical the 'stiffer' the shock will be (meaning that it takes more force to move it). Then let's add to the issue - when you unload the rear, where is the shock going to get the ability to travel? (imagine pushing down on a pyramid - you can get movement on one leg or the other but if both need to collapse, how would that happen?)

3. smileyshaun

smileyshaun

having the shocks angled in the rear /\ is kinda the standard Toyota way to get enough travel without having the shocks come all the way through the body and I'm fine with the shocks being stiff it counteracts the soft springs a bit. not to worried about axle wrap you don't get a ton with 100hp lol .
    The fronts will clear everything I just had it resting against the steering shaft to get a idea of where they would go .

4. smileyshaun

smileyshaun

had to order tires for my tahoe so I picked up one tire for the jeep , helps to spread the money out a bit longer, easier to spend 400 at a time rather then telling the fiance I'm spending 1600$ on tires for something that won't be on the road for a while . going with the 37x12.50r15 creepy crawler
    0609_4wd_02_z+1997_jeep_grand_cherokee+maxxis_tire.jpg

mr jits, G-Cat and SuperBuickGuy like this.
  5. smileyshaun

smileyshaun

well the tahoe messed up my tire plan , had to order cats for it so instead of the tire I'm going to shove a twin stick on the jeep

6. smileyshaun

smileyshaun

got some goodies for the jeep , somehow lost the shifter for the second t case so might as well upgrade . 20180625_142133.jpg

7. SuperBuickGuy

SuperBuickGuy

I think I didn't explain correctly, I'll say it another way, get softer valving :D angled is fine and staggered works for axle wrap - even 100 hp can get you into all manner of trouble (just ask the guy who almost flipped a 13 hp Case tractor over backwards - not me, doesn't even look like me). What concerns is the ride quality and the snapping of shock mounts off because they bear the brunt of valving issues.

Nice knobs (and rod)

8. smileyshaun

smileyshaun

oh some updates
    bed is almost done just need to make the lids
    hdr_00872_0.jpg hdr_00787_0.jpg

front shocks are in
    hdr_00859_0.jpg

moved the axle forward another 2"
    hdr_00860_0.jpg

G-Cat likes this.
  9. smileyshaun

smileyshaun

got the tank moved to the back , wouldn't be a jeep without a tank hanging out of it lol

hdr_00630_0.jpg hdr_00633_0.jpg

G-Cat and SuperBuickGuy like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.