Builds joyota my Toyota in jeeps clothing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been busy with end of school year stuff with the kids and getting stuff done around my dad's house but took an hour break from it today and got the rear shock Tower mostly in
20180612_152112.jpg

Also I think I found a simple solution for the front shocks think I'll just run some F250 shock towers with some extra plating around it and probably a bar over the top of the motor to give it a little extra rigidity
20180612_151239.jpg

a couple things to keep in mind (I realize the rear isn't done) but be sure that the shock body touches nothing throughout articulation. And second, GM staggered shocks (put the attachment in the front and rear) to help stop axle wrap - and it's a valid solution as long as you realize the next point; you want your shocks at 5* from perfectly vertical otherwise the shock rate goes up as a square of that same angle.

I'll put that another way. Shock rates are determined at nearly vertical, and the further you get away from vertical the 'stiffer' the shock will be (meaning that it takes more force to move it). Then let's add to the issue - when you unload the rear, where is the shock going to get the ability to travel? (imagine pushing down on a pyramid - you can get movement on one leg or the other but if both need to collapse, how would that happen?)

a couple things to keep in mind (I realize the rear isn't done) but be sure that the shock body touches nothing throughout articulation. And second, GM staggered shocks (put the attachment in the front and rear) to help stop axle wrap - and it's a valid solution as long as you realize the next point; you want your shocks at 5* from perfectly vertical otherwise the shock rate goes up as a square of that same angle.

I'll put that another way. Shock rates are determined at nearly vertical, and the further you get away from vertical the 'stiffer' the shock will be (meaning that it takes more force to move it). Then let's add to the issue - when you unload the rear, where is the shock going to get the ability to travel? (imagine pushing down on a pyramid - you can get movement on one leg or the other but if both need to collapse, how would that happen?)

having the shocks angled in the rear /\ is kinda the standard Toyota way to get enough travel without having the shocks come all the way through the body and I'm fine with the shocks being stiff it counteracts the soft springs a bit. not to worried about axle wrap you don't get a ton with 100hp lol .
The fronts will clear everything I just had it resting against the steering shaft to get a idea of where they would go .

had to order tires for my tahoe so I picked up one tire for the jeep , helps to spread the money out a bit longer, easier to spend 400 at a time rather then telling the fiance I'm spending 1600$ on tires for something that won't be on the road for a while . going with the 37x12.50r15 creepy crawler
0609_4wd_02_z+1997_jeep_grand_cherokee+maxxis_tire.jpg

well the tahoe messed up my tire plan , had to order cats for it so instead of the tire I'm going to shove a twin stick on the jeep

got some goodies for the jeep , somehow lost the shifter for the second t case so might as well upgrade .
20180625_142133.jpg

having the shocks angled in the rear /\ is kinda the standard Toyota way to get enough travel without having the shocks come all the way through the body and I'm fine with the shocks being stiff it counteracts the soft springs a bit. not to worried about axle wrap you don't get a ton with 100hp lol .
The fronts will clear everything I just had it resting against the steering shaft to get a idea of where they would go .

I think I didn't explain correctly, I'll say it another way, get softer valving :D angled is fine and staggered works for axle wrap - even 100 hp can get you into all manner of trouble (just ask the guy who almost flipped a 13 hp Case tractor over backwards - not me, doesn't even look like me). What concerns is the ride quality and the snapping of shock mounts off because they bear the brunt of valving issues.

got some goodies for the jeep , somehow lost the shifter for the second t case so might as well upgrade .View attachment 1731130

Nice knobs (and rod)

oh some updates
bed is almost done just need to make the lids
hdr_00872_0.jpg
hdr_00787_0.jpg

front shocks are in
hdr_00859_0.jpg

moved the axle forward another 2"
hdr_00860_0.jpg

gas tank is mounted , twin sticks are in , fuel filler is mounted ,taillights are in , pulled the factory under seat box feel like it has more room that way
20181203_133610.jpg
20181203_140637.jpg
20181203_155229.jpg
20181116_163953.jpg
20181116_164100.jpg

well sad soup, responsibility is getting the upper hand in life and the jeep is going up for sale . Need funds for a down payment on a house and to pay down some debts . Makes no sense to keep borrowing shop space and using money that should be getting dumped into savings on a toy .Im going to try to finish up as much as i can by the end of the month then it's going for sale , My Hope Is I can find a buyer that will have nearly the same vision for it as I do and it won't end up just being parted out.

well sad soup, responsibility is getting the upper hand in life and the jeep is going up for sale . Need funds for a down payment on a house and to pay down some debts . Makes no sense to keep borrowing shop space and using money that should be getting dumped into savings on a toy .Im going to try to finish up as much as i can by the end of the month then it's going for sale , My Hope Is I can find a buyer that will have nearly the same vision for it as I do and it won't end up just being parted out.

If I could offer some advice I would say not to sell it. Just sideline it and come back to it when you have the time and money. I've sold a lot of cars but the one I miss the most is my 1980 Toyota pickup. It was a heap of junk but I put my heart and soul into getting it running and sold since I had too many cars. I really regret it and wish I had just kept it and kept making it my own.

If you're not hurting for money badly, just set it to the side and get back to it when you can. You're the only one who can get it to where you want it to be.

unfortinatly i could use some bills paid off and every dollar we can put into savings for a down payment on a house is needed more than finishing a toy . It will be missed and maybe some day down the road i can start over but for now Adulting is more important

So you take what was a not bad looking toyota pickup, hack a jeep body onto it (badly) then expect to sell it so you can afford to go buy a house? WTF is adulting? Good luck to you.

Thanks man , sometimes in trying something new and different you may fail and need to change and retry things a couple times b4 things turn out the way you envision . yes it would have been easier to just build another jeep or a Toyota but what's the harm in trying something new ?

So you take what was a not bad looking toyota pickup, hack a jeep body onto it (badly) then expect to sell it so you can afford to go buy a house? WTF is adulting? Good luck to you.

Hey now no need to criticize here. It's an interesting concept and a pretty one of a kind rig and hey, to each their own. Someone will buy this thing.

i will admit I wanted the body to be much lower on the frame but at this point it's only 1/4 " above the frame rails so the only other option was to c channel the body and drop it around the frame.

Thanks man , sometimes in trying something new and different you may fail and need to change and retry things a couple times b4 things turn out the way you envision . yes it would have been easier to just build another jeep or a Toyota but what's the harm in trying something new ?

Taking unconstructive criticism so constructively seems pretty adult like to me!

and by adulting I mean things like wanting to put money in more aggressively into 401ks and the kids collage savings accounts ( every year seems to pass by faster and faster ) having to dedicate more free time to sports , music practices, performances and competitions. Starting to take some courses to lead to a hopeful job change in the near future , current job was great for allowing me to be a full time parent because her mother wasn't really in the picture but now that I have a great fiance it's time to look into a new career . Sometimes real life is alot more important than a toy , and even with the rigs memories it's still just a chunk of metal and another one can be built.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom