Johnson Furnace # 6-8384 is mine!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice score and work Hugh! BTW Dominion Millennium is a barley wine.
:cheers:
s*** - The real Dominion is the way of the DoDo my friend! Those fxxxers sold out to InBev! The term barley wine is just so the aristocrats drink it any way, might as well call it what it is - a malt liquor!

Thanks for the kudos on the trailer.

Yeah...actually they sold out to Budweiser before Ibev bought them but end-result the same.....no more micro-brew from them. Bud may have acquired them for their Dom. Ale recipe...they came out with American Ale soon after the acquisition and it is very similar.
I actually met the original owner once (Jerry) he came wheeling in a keg of lager. A bunch of locals were at a little joint in Leesburg VA drinking $1/drafts when the tap went dry....we all grumbled and got up to leave... the b-tender said "hold on"...picked up the phone then told us ...."I'll have another here in 20m". Sure enough in comes Jerry behind a keg dolly to a round of applause. He sat with us and told us how he came to choose the business park where he intially set up in Ashburn. He basiclly went around the Metro DC area testing water until he found the water he liked.....
It was a damn good thing while it lasted. His Borboun Stout was the best I ever had when they were still using the oak barrels. They later swithced to chemicals and it obviously wasnt the same.

Yeah...actually they sold out to Budweiser before Ibev bought them but end-result the same.....no more micro-brew from them. Bud may have acquired them for their Dom. Ale recipe...they came out with American Ale soon after the acquisition and it is very similar.
I actually met the original owner once (Jerry) he came wheeling in a keg of lager. A bunch of locals were at a little joint in Leesburg VA drinking $1/drafts when the tap went dry....we all grumbled and got up to leave... the b-tender said "hold on"...picked up the phone then told us ...."I'll have another here in 20m". Sure enough in comes Jerry behind a keg dolly to a round of applause. He sat with us and told us how he came to choose the business park where he intially set up in Ashburn. He basiclly went around the Metro DC area testing water until he found the water he liked.....
It was a damn good thing while it lasted. His Borboun Stout was the best I ever had when they were still using the oak barrels. They later swithced to chemicals and it obviously wasnt the same.
I always wondered why he went into that place. And you are right about that Bourbon Stout. Off the hook. i spent many an evening in there. Tuppers Hop Pocket was one of my true favorites as well. I was really dissapointed when they sold out to Bud. They denied that they were going to sell for the longest time and then, low and behold, they sold. Then Bud said they were not going to close the place and, of course, shortly after, they closed around the time of the acquisition of AB by Inbev. Screw that conglomerant. I need to move back to PDX where they brew beer for the love of it!

And so this is not toally chat, I sanded and painted the composite lights and hung them on the trailer frame tonight. I need to get some bulbs for them. I plan on hooking up all the lights (blackout too) just for fun!

i'm curious the route you take with the lights... I'm reusing my original m416 lights too, and will reuse the original hardware with LED lights. not sure if this will require simple replacement LED bulbs or if I'll need to make a custom bracket to hold a string of custom LEDs but the answer will be in my build log. (look for wompser)

i would skip led bulbs. they have minimum voltage requirements or they cut out. a voltage drop over your trailer or tow vehicle wiring could cause them to drop out altogether where incandescents would just be dimmer.

There is a place out there that makes LED replacement bulbs in just about any size you want. Yooper had the link and it is saved on my other computer. But, as semlin said, the benefit on the trailer would be minimal if any.

When I took my lights apart to paint them, I discovered no corrosion and everything inside was clean and intact.

Look for LED lamps that have low on voltages. I have seen 12/24 VDC ones designed to work with as low as 6V. They actually had a 6-30VDC input range.

Picked up the stuff last night. The blaster is an hour away. As soon as I arrived it started to rain just a bit. We wrapped the tub in plastic and I set off. About 20 minutes from home it let loose and rained the rest of the way. :meh: Would have rather not hit it with water until I was ready. It is a busy week and the weekend is booked so it is going to make for a late night tomorrow.

Tonight I cleaned it all with Marine Clean and and hit it with metal etcher for about 25 minutes. Should be plenty.

12287082819_ORIG.jpg

12287082768_ORIG.jpeg

12287082747_ORIG.jpeg

(Not bad for cell phone pics :p)

After, I moved it back in the shop and put a fan on it to hope it all dries by tomorrow afternoon for its first coat of POR15.

I wheeled the frame outside and it rained on it all day and night. It made me feel bad to get it wet :lol:

Edit: Almost forgot. Blaster dude said it was pretty tuff to get the paint off. From outside to in: black, bright green, RED!, olive, desert tan, olive was what he remembered. I did not see red while grinding and cutting!
12287082819_ORIG.jpg
12287082768_ORIG.jpeg

12287082747_ORIG.jpeg

Last edited:
Picked up the stuff last night. The blaster is an hour away. ...

Edit: Almost forgot. Blaster dude said it was pretty tuff to get the paint off. From outside to in: black, bright green, RED!, olive, desert tan, olive was what he remembered. I did not see red while grinding and cutting!

Chris,
Do you mind sharing what your blasting runs? And possibly where he is located at? Options are always good even if I have my own blaster.

Thanks

Chris,
Do you mind sharing what your blasting runs? And possibly where he is located at? Options are always good even if I have my own blaster.

Thanks
No problem - The guy is named Joe Withrow 706-217-7840 located at 1835 Dawnville Beaverdale Rd in Dalton, GA. I have found his prices reasonable. He bases it on time but I am unsure of his hourly rate. It cost me $140 to have the frame, axle and some of that stuff done that I did not feel like doing in my blaster box. The tub, fenders and tailgate were $360. A bit more than I tought but he explained he had some real trouble with the paint on the tub since there were so many layers. He did some MR2 fenders for Sean B. and it was only about $75. He does a very good job and has never warped a panel. If the metal is thin he will sometimes go thru it but that is to be expected. He has gone thru a bezel or two in thin spots and the trailer tub where it was swiss cheese but I expected that.

All in all, I am very happy with him, he is a super nice guy and his turn around time is amazing. I did not expect the tub et al to be done until next week due to the rain but as soon as it cleared up he hit it. I have seen him do old airplane parts for restorations and that made me sure he was competent.:cheers:

I will say that after all the scratch i have spent I could have purchased a helluva system but the amount of time and mess he has saved me is priceless.

Last edited:
No problem - The guy is named Joe Withrow 706-217-7840 located at 1835 Dawnville Beaverdale Rd in Dalton, GA. I have found his prices reasonable. He bases it on time but I am unsure of his hourly rate. It cost me $140 to have the frame, axle and some of that stuff done that I did not feel like doing in my blaster box. The tub, fenders and tailgate were $360. A bit more than I tought but he explained he had some real trouble with the paint on the tub since there were so many layers. He did some MR2 fenders for Sean B. and it was only about $75. He does a very good job and has never warped a panel. If the metal is thin he will sometimes go thru it but that is to be expected. He has gone thru a bezel or two in thin spots and the trailer tub where it was swiss cheese but I expected that.

All in all, I am very happy with him, he is a super nice guy and his turn around time is amazing. I did not expect the tub et al to be done until next week due to the rain but as soon as it cleared up he hit it. I have seen him do old airplane parts for restorations and that made me sure he was competent.:cheers:

I will say that after all the scratch i have spent I could have purchased a helluva system but the amount of time and mess he has saved me is priceless.

Chris,
Thanks for sharing the contact info and the summary.

hey hugh this might have already been posted but superbrightled.com sells 12 volt 1156 that is all you need to use those on a 12volt system, i have a set with the led bulbs waiting to go on the back of my truck.
Do you have their part number? That site is pretty difficult to navigate.

sorry the bulbs have no part # on them they were on the boxes and i threw them out. but if you go on there and go to automotive bulbs they are 1156 and then you chose how many led's you want the more the brighter mine have 12 leds but i will go brighter eventually. also i just went out to there site they did change it a little click on 12 volt automotive then click the second thumbnail it should say something like 1156 1157 12 19 and 30 led then click buy now at bottom now pick how many led you want in 1156 bulb also click wide angle and buy them if you like. sorry so long with no punctuation i think you can follow it though.

Last edited:
here is a pic of the inside of mine top three are red led's the recommend you use the lens color as you're bulb color. the bottom one is green, that is what color led was in it but it was very dim as it was for 24 volts.
toy4xfun-albums-bs-picture11043-mytruck-002.jpg

sorry the bulbs have no part # on them they were on the boxes and i threw them out. but if you go on there and go to automotive bulbs they are 1156 and then you chose how many led's you want the more the brighter mine have 12 leds but i will go brighter eventually. also i just went out to there site they did change it a little click on 12 volt automotive then click the second thumbnail it should say something like 1156 1157 12 19 and 30 led then click buy now at bottom now pick how many led you want in 1156 bulb also click wide angle and buy them if you like. sorry so long with no punctuation i think you can follow it though.

here is a pic of the inside of mine top three are red led's the recommend you use the lens color as you're bulb color. the bottom one is green, that is what color led was in it but it was very dim as it was for 24 volts.
toy4xfun-albums-bs-picture11043-mytruck-002.jpg

Nice. Thanks for the instructions. Light looks good. Did you wire the blackout lights?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom