JBL 602 Stage Speaker Install Video (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.bradyadventures.com
I spent last weekend installing JBL Stage 602 speakers in all four doors, actually my wife did a lot of the work since I am in a sling from a little shoulder repair :). These are direct fit speakers with a couple catches along the way. We had to drill holes to mount the speakers and saw off a couple of tabs on the Toyota housing other than that it was a piece of cake. If you are taking off your door panels the video should show you all the key steps.

We did the sub a month or so back and while that helped a little these speakers made a huge difference and were pretty reasonable.

Last edited:
Great timing- I'm about to take this project on. Thanks for taking the time to film and post the video. Broken wing n all

Nice Vid, I watched your Sub install as well. Thank you for taking the time to put this together as I will be doing the mod soon.

Perfect..

But what is the benefit to s combo woofer/tweeter... as opposed to just buying the JBL stage 600c with separate woofers/ tweeters for the front?

Perfect..

But what is the benefit to s combo woofer/tweeter... as opposed to just buying the JBL stage 600c with separate woofers/ tweeters for the front?

it's a tiny bit cheaper but really it's ease of installation and aesthetics. The components are sure to sound better. The woofer should preform better than co-axles and the tweeter is likely better than stock. I didn't want to mount an aftermarket tweeter mainly to keep it stock inside. If your goal is sound then components are the way to go. If you want to avoid drilling or sticking an additional tweeter to the door then go with the co-axles.

speaker replacement is a MUST for all LC100 owners. the difference is unbelievable! i went with a 2ohm set to match the factory and maximize it's power potential. It's great!

So the factory amp feeding the door (front and rear) speakers is rated to power 2 ohm speakers? I tried finding that info prior to installing 4 ohm speakers but couldn't find any info, oops. The 4 ohm replacements do sound better than what I had before but the 2 ohm should be even better. What ohm rating is the the DVC sub rated for? I replaced that too and even used some poly fill and it sounds fairly good. The stock enclosure can only seem to handle so much before it wants to rattle, even with dynamat surrounding it and behind the bolt on points for the enclosure.

I just got an 01 LC, and I have the 602 JBL speakers in my cart on crutchfield, did you just leave the stock tweeters in? Im about to order the front and rear speakers, and the sub(off amazon).

So the factory amp feeding the door (front and rear) speakers is rated to power 2 ohm speakers? I tried finding that info prior to installing 4 ohm speakers but couldn't find any info, oops. The 4 ohm replacements do sound better than what I had before but the 2 ohm should be even better. What ohm rating is the the DVC sub rated for? I replaced that too and even used some poly fill and it sounds fairly good. The stock enclosure can only seem to handle so much before it wants to rattle, even with dynamat surrounding it and behind the bolt on points for the enclosure.

If i recall correctly, the stock JBL system was 2 ohm. let me check and see if i can find them, i don't think i threw the stock speakers away. It sounded wonderful.

But i just updated my system. Mosconi 6to8V8 from the factory amp feeding a jl 300/4 for the speakers and a 500/1 to a 12w6. Worlds better! i can finally listen to music with the windows down on the freeway!

I just got an 01 LC, and I have the 602 JBL speakers in my cart on crutchfield, did you just leave the stock tweeters in? Im about to order the front and rear speakers, and the sub(off amazon).

I installed the JBL 608C which is 2ohm component. Initially I left the stock tweeters installed and direct wired the 608 mid to the existing wiring and did not install the cross over unit. This took all of an hour or so to retrofit. Sounded fine to me.

This past weekend I went back in and installed the JBL tweeters and the cross over just to hear if there was any difference. Much more work to install the tweeters and crossover- modding the stock tweeter housing/grill and wiring the cross over. To install the JBL tweeters into the factory location (pillar mounted housing/grill) you'll need to dremmel the inside to accommodate the larger tweeter, and then glue it in place ( it does fit fine, and looks stock).

If the stock tweeters arent blown, you can stick with just replacing the mid woofer in the door and wiring it directly to the stock housing connectors. The stock tweeters have a built in resistor to emulate the cross over function.

I installed the JBL 608C which is 2ohm component. Initially I left the stock tweeters installed and direct wired the 608 mid to the existing wiring and did not install the cross over unit. This took all of an hour or so to retrofit. Sounded fine to me.

This past weekend I went back in and installed the JBL tweeters and the cross over just to hear if there was any difference. Much more work to install the tweeters and crossover- modding the stock tweeter housing/grill and wiring the cross over. To install the JBL tweeters into the factory location (pillar mounted housing/grill) you'll need to dremmel the inside to accommodate the larger tweeter, and then glue it in place ( it does fit fine, and looks stock).

If the stock tweeters arent blown, you can stick with just replacing the mid woofer in the door and wiring it directly to the stock housing connectors. The stock tweeters have a built in resistor to emulate the cross over function.

Good to know, speakers and the sub are ordered. Is it possible to also add a new head unit and leave the factory amp? Or does it make the most sense to just also do an amp? This is the first car ive even considered doing anything regarding a stereo. Our last LC was a third car, this one will be driven much more. I was looking at also getting a new headunit to give us a usb and not have to use a 90s cassette adapter to listen to music on our phones. I am thinking of just doing one with Apple Car play, our other car has it from the factory and its really nice. I work for VW and most of our cars have it now, its great to have everything from your iphone right on the screen.

If you don't have factory Nav you have lots of flexibility with HU selection.

I have the gen 4 factory system with Nav and there is no HU swap option- I'm stuck with this. I am not audio savvy so I kept it as simple as possible-direct wired to factory system wherever possible. My goal was clean sound replacing blown speakers.

Before you order second row speakers check them , they may not be blown. They are constructed differently than the fronts. I only found the fronts and the sub blown.

@abuck99-- I am also not so audio savy, thats why I was so excited to find this thread today. I have had the speakers in a cart for 2 weeks, hoping to find out the right answers. We dont have factory nav, so im thinking of the HU change. I will do the front speakers before I do the rear and get an idea of the sound. thanks for the tip on the rear speakers.

Yep stock tweeters remain with the JBLs in the doors hooked to the factory wiring. Everything sounds good, stock tweeters still preforming well. I agree with @abuck99 I did the front speakers first and that was a huge improvement, the factory fronts were trashed. I did the rears the next weekend and while there was an improvement over the stock the rears weren't too bad off.

@brizzle thanks for the great youtube videos, really helped me make the decision. Did you change out the HU or amp?

@22xxxWC No problem, we have a lot fun making them and glad someone likes them

HU is stock nav but I added a USASpec Bluetooth adapter, posted a vid on that too, have one of those on all three of my cars. Amps all stock too. I wouldn't mind upgrading further but the mod list is soooo long and I have about 10 grand of stuff ahead of anymore audio. The speakers were a must since the sound before was unbearable.

IMG_0878.JPG
Stock speakers are 2 ohm

@brizzle -

Thanks for the great write up! I found this a few weeks too late, and had the local Best Buy install upgraded HU and JBL 602 door speakers for me.

I'm experiencing one last issue that's driving me crazy, wondering if anybody else has experienced/solved - I'm getting a buzz/rattle out of both the front driver/passenger doors. It seems like the OE speaker cover may be the cause of this, as the majority of the buzz stops when I put a hand on either cover. I've also confirmed with the installer with pictures that the speaker wires/adapter clips were properly hung inside the door. Buzz happens specifically with bass/low tones (probably obvious). Any feedback on how to resolve this final sticky issue would be so great!

Just a guess but if the installer didn’t cut those nubs off enough they might not have gotten a firm install to the bracket causing the rattle. Or it’s not seated enough so it’s sticking out a bit coming in contact with the speaker cover causing the rattle on bass tones. They aren’t a perfect fit due to those plastic nubs (pretty sure that’s a word) that must be cut off to let the speaker sit flush on the bracket.

Since you paid for the install I would think you should go back and have them fix it. I did the same install and have no rattles/buzzing and I suck as a stereo guru. However with all installs with Step by step video instructions I’m highly mediocre.

You could also check if they put the 3 or 4 screws back on the bottom of the door and the various clips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom