J60 Glove Box Replacement (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a 1988 rhd hj61 that needs this!

Okay, I have returned from my trip and I'm ready to make some glove boxes for some of the people who replied. I will contact those with an 85 and older FJ60 first. Once those have been made and shipped I will reach out to the 85 and newer FJ60 owners.

As of now I have enough people interested in helping me with development. Check back later to see if there will be a need for others.

Thanks to everyone who has offered to help and those following the thread. Hopefully I will be able to offer a replacement glove box for sale soon.

Jason

Okay, I have returned from my trip and I'm ready to make some glove boxes for some of the people who replied. I will contact those with an 85 and older FJ60 first. Once those have been made and shipped I will reach out to the 85 and newer FJ60 owners.

As of now I have enough people interested in helping me with development. Check back later to see if there will be a need for others.

Thanks to everyone who has offered to help and those following the thread. Hopefully I will be able to offer a replacement glove box for sale soon.

Jason

I have an 87 FJ60, if you need someone else with a newer one I'd be willing to take pics and do a write up. If not, I look forward to eventually buying one of these. They look Awesome!

I have an 87 FJ60, if you need someone else with a newer one I'd be willing to take pics and do a write up. If not, I look forward to eventually buying one of these. They look Awesome!
Thanks, I will send you a message with some info.

I have been working with a few MUD members to make some changes to the glove box design. @mdw83fj60, @84Landie, @Dekeman, @repentsinner

• Added 15 degree angle to top of box.
  • Changed the size of the removable cover for the stock light.
I will get one of these made this week and test fit in my cruiser. If everything looks good I will ship out the ones for testing to the people I've been working with.

Thanks everyone for your input and interest.

ASM-J60 GB-Angle v16.png

V2 with angled top piece and smaller cover.

ASM-J60 GB-Angle 01.png

I have been working with a few MUD members to make some changes to the glove box design. @mdw83fj60, @84Landie, @Dekeman, @repentsinner

• Added 15 degree angle to top of box.
  • Changed the size of the removable cover for the stock light.
I will get one of these made this week and test fit in my cruiser. If everything looks good I will ship out the ones for testing to the people I've been working with.

Thanks everyone for your input and interest.

View attachment 3296668
V2 with angled top piece and smaller cover.

View attachment 3296669
Suggestion for the lighting: two lights on the “ceiling” of the box. The light being on the side was obviously done to make space for the dash speaker present in some models, but it doesn’t illuminate stuff very well. Happy to help or suggest parts electronics-wise for that if you end up entertaining that idea.

Also, the internal box thing does eat into the internal volume, but is a great spot for an extra USB charger. I like it.

Suggestion for the lighting: two lights on the “ceiling” of the box. The light being on the side was obviously done to make space for the dash speaker present in some models, but it doesn’t illuminate stuff very well. Happy to help or suggest parts electronics-wise for that if you end up entertaining that idea.

Also, the internal box thing does eat into the internal volume, but is a great spot for an extra USB charger. I like it.
Ya, I second that. Surely there is some flat style led light that can go on the top and then the internal box could house a usb or something.

I like the LED light idea. Is there anyway to fabricate one with the same plug for the stock light?

I like the LED light idea. Is there anyway to fabricate one with the same plug for the stock light?
I doubt the connector for that is available new from Toyota, so it would have to be on the customer to do it. With the glove box insert you could send two LED lights pre wired (and design a method for them to secure to the box). They could butt splice into the existing harness connector for the OE light. Or if you could find the appropriate pins, the end user could re-pin the connector, and that would be even cleaner.

I found and ordered a connector that looks like the glove box light connector. I will post the part numbers if it's a viable replacement. Do you have any suggestions for an inexpensive low profile LED light?

b-37r.jpg

I found and ordered a connector that looks like the glove box light connector. I will post the part numbers if it's a viable replacement. Do you have any suggestions for an inexpensive low profile LED light?

View attachment 3297116

Something like this might work well (maybe not the brightness or color)

I’m not sure if you could incorporate a surface that will angle the light into the glove box.

Having something not very bright and pointed in I think would have the most value.

Amazon product ASIN B089M9PTR2

I
Something like this might work well (maybe not the brightness or color)

I’m not sure if you could incorporate a surface that will angle the light into the glove box.

Having something not very bright and pointed in I think would have the most value.

Amazon product ASIN B089M9PTR2
I like the look of those.

Have an 8-‘85 60 & would be interested in helping out and/or buying the end product. Love the idea!

View attachment 3297116
Nice find.

I see a lot of Amazon links, but I’d highly recommend doing a deep dive search on Mouser Electronics. I bet they have 100000 options and you can get quantity pricing. They’ll have a more elegant solution that will look better on the finished product than the consumer grade stick-on lights. I’ll take a look tomorrow.

Design a tab that folds out of the box and mount this. Recess it enough so the bulb is almost flush.

If you want stick-ons these look good. And are very slim.

Go for a couple of standard festoon bases. The appear to have small mounting tabs. You’d have to get creative with the lens. Maybe dado around the perimeter of the sheet metal so a small piece of acrylic can drop in and be glued.

Expensive but slick looking. “Panel mount” is the attachment style, maybe there’s a more affordable panel mount solution.

Or - and I kind of like this idea best of all - twist-lock panel mount bases for type 74 bulbs (aka “mini wedge”). That’s the same bulb Toyota used for the glove box. The new LEDs are waaay brighter, and if you had two it would be plenty. Design a cutout into the roof of the box for the bases and you’re set.

Design a tab that folds out of the box and mount this. Recess it enough so the bulb is almost flush.

If you want stick-ons these look good. And are very slim.

Go for a couple of standard festoon bases. The appear to have small mounting tabs. You’d have to get creative with the lens. Maybe dado around the perimeter of the sheet metal so a small piece of acrylic can drop in and be glued.

Expensive but slick looking. “Panel mount” is the attachment style, maybe there’s a more affordable panel mount solution.

Or - and I kind of like this idea best of all - twist-lock panel mount bases for type 74 bulbs (aka “mini wedge”). That’s the same bulb Toyota used for the glove box. The new LEDs are waaay brighter, and if you had two it would be plenty. Design a cutout into the roof of the box for the bases and you’re set.
Thanks for the ideas, I like the flush mount ones the best. Although it would be nice to find one with a fastener type mount instead of tape.

Do you know if its possible to just change the bulb on the stock one to LED? If so would that be a brighter alternative?

@mr2m1 I’m a year and a half into making some 60 Series products and I’ve run into this same exact thing. The US-spec 60 that “was the same” from 81-87 actually had a whole lot of very small changes year to year. I’ve had the same thing happen where I make a product for my truck that I’m happy with, go to install it in another 60 and it doesn’t work, so I scratch my head.

Once you figure out the difference issues I’d gladly participate in a survey: send you photo of the area in question along with the month/year on the build plate. First you gotta figure out what the differences are - the wire bundle in back shortening your depth is one. Maybe a bend of the sheet metal dash is changed by a few degrees or the mounting holes are off. Happy to send a photo of mine (1982) if it helps at this stage.
Please count me in on a glove box for my 60, thanks

Thanks for the ideas, I like the flush mount ones the best. Although it would be nice to find one with a fastener type mount instead of tape.

Do you know if its possible to just change the bulb on the stock one to LED? If so would that be a brighter alternative?
The factory light uses a Type 74 bulb and LEDs are readily available. I put one in mine and it is brighter but the problem is in the location - since it's off to the side and almost centered height-wise, it's easy to have something in the glove box block the light. If you put a light or two up top you circumvent that issue.

This lighting thing may be asking a lot during the prototype phase. I'm just thinking out loud. Feel free to worry about that down the road or tell people they can make their own solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom