Issues removing the lift gate on a '94 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My lift gate is rusting through just below the window, so I've picked up a donor off of a '91 with the same color. I'll keep all components and wiring harness and replace it in the donor lift gate. I removed the lift gate with no problem from the donor truck. However, I have a problem getting wiring loose on my rig.

Neither connector wants to come out of the hole at the roof. I mistakenly pulled one of the connectors from the bare wire (1st pic), now I can't get the other connector out either. There doesn't seem to be enough depth to turn the connector perpendicular to the hole. No mention in the FSM that I could find either. Any suggestions?

IMG_1309.JPG
IMG_1311.JPG

Last edited:
A little hard from the pics but can you access the wiring via dropping the headliner?
You had to go there Josh? Dropping the headliner is what I'm trying to avoid. Is it much of a pain to do? I'm afraid that might be the only way to disconnect the wiring, but I wish it would state that in the FSM.

In the 2nd pic, I was trying to show the shallowness behind the hole, maybe a 1/2" depth, which doesn't seem to be enough room to turn the connector perpendicular to the hole to slide it out.

watching as I have to do this too...........

You had to go there Josh? Dropping the headliner is what I'm trying to avoid. Is it much of a pain to do? I'm afraid that might be the only way to disconnect the wiring, but I wish it would state that in the FSM.

In the 2nd pic, I was trying to show the shallowness behind the hole, maybe a 1/2" depth, which doesn't seem to be enough room to turn the connector perpendicular to the hole to slide it out.

I know I suck on the back its not bad I think on the 94 is still has the old style? There is basically some pinch welding holding it to the body of the truck you carefully pull that down and then there is metal clips that are actually holding it on. Take your time and be slow and careful only drop the section that you need to access the wiring. I dropped mine a little bit as a test because I want to install a 3rd interior light back there. I was able to drop just the back section and put back up without any issues. Just remember it is old and can be fragile. I think the newer headlliner is super easy to drop its all one piece and you don't have the bows like in the 91-94 not sure when they made the switch to the newer style.

The rear part of the headliner is easy three push tabs hold it in, and it allows access, I had to replace my rear window washer and had to drop the headliner

He has a suspended cloth headliner. That is a different kettle of fish.

I had to pull the corner of the headliner down was pretty easy

I did this recently when I swapped out my upper hatch. You must drop that corner of the headliner. No big deal really.
You will find that the wiring connector from the 91 hatch only has two wires in the three wire connector and your 94 hatch has 3 wires in the same connector. My rear wiper would not work until I put the harness from he 93 hatch I removed into the 91 hatch I installed.
It's a relatively short harness that runs down the left side of the rear window. The connectors are all the same. The only difference is the one wire that the 91 does not have or at least did not have in my case.

I did have to drop the corner of the headliner to get to it and was able to remove it. I've started removing components and wiring from the donor so I could add my wiring harness, door lock tumbler and other components. I ran out of daylight and will tackle it tomorrow. Great input, thanks.

IMG_3380.JPG

Something else I did not consider when I was receiving my free lift gate was that the 91/92 does not have the third break light.

Something else I did not consider when I was receiving my free lift gate was that the 91/92 does not have the third break light.
Nope, and if you swapped glass from a later model the factory "tint" isn't applied there, so it looks weird.

Easily fixed by adding the light bracket with riv-nuts.

I plan to add it as well, a hole for the wiring connector and a couple for the housing. The riv-nuts are a good idea.

I have not installed the stop light and probably never will unless I'm forced to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom