Is this Oil fine for my HDJ80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello team, I have been researching a lot about the correct Oil for the 1HD-T engine.
Initially the car was using Valvoline full synthetic 15w40 oil.

I changed it to Phillips 66 15w40 semi synthetic oil, and felt like a little difference on the behavior of the car when I accelerated. Like a lack of power. And it started to smoke blue sometimes, to I better started looking to go back to Valvoline... But instead of that, I bought this:

p-5592-delo-400-le-sae-15w40-2-5-gal_1.jpg

The Delo 400 LE, is recommended by PACCAR MX, Caterpillar, Cummins, Volvo, Mack, MTI, MAN, Detroit Diesel 4 stroke, Mercedes and Navistar.

The API category is the latest one: CJ-4 (Oil Categories)

So I thought that this could be a good oil for my 4.2 diesel engine.

What do you guys thing? Did I made the right move? Or should I consider another oil? Or go back to use Valvoline All Fleet Premium 15w40?

Where do you live? 15w40 is thicker than I'd want if you have cold starts in your future. It's otherwise good oil from what I've heard about it.

I am from Costa Rica. We are betwen 15C and 35C.
Tropical weather.

I use Shell Rimula R4X 15W40, the 1HD-T seems to like it and it meets JASO DH-1 requirements.

Seriously though, I wouldn't stress about the brand, as long as it meets the neccessary criteria, use it.

Last edited:
The DELO 400LE appears to meet JASO DH-2 and is backwards compatible.

Seems that actually is a good idea to use it. I will put it today to see how it goes. I will you guys know later.
Thanks.

If you are able to have your engine oil tested (engine oil analysis) that is one method to see if the oil you're using is protecting the engine properly. So maybe after a few thousand miles or at the next oil change collect a sample of the used oil and have it tested. Where are you located?

If you are able to have your engine oil tested (engine oil analysis) that is one method to see if the oil you're using is protecting the engine properly. So maybe after a few thousand miles or at the next oil change collect a sample of the used oil and have it tested. Where are you located?
Costa Rica, tropical weather.

I too live in Pura Vida land. You bought that at Pricemart didn't you. I run it in my 80 series 4.2 and it is very happy It also happens to be the cheapest place to buy oil.You will pay double any where else.
Where abouts do you live.

if your selection keep a decent oil pressure, don't loose it ( burn ) through changes .. it's a good one on my books .. coz honestly without oil analysis it's just pure impression o how good or bad it can be ..

that said I use this one ..

SAE 15W-40 Heavy-Duty Diesel and Marine Oil

worst weather and temps than CR we have down here ..

Delo is all I use in my engines.

Run it.... I have for years and my motor is still running

Been running that exact same oil Delo 400 LE 15W-40 for the last 4 years. Great oil!

I too live in Pura Vida land. You bought that at Pricemart didn't you. I run it in my 80 series 4.2 and it is very happy It also happens to be the cheapest place to buy oil.You will pay double any where else.
Where abouts do you live.
I am from Santa Ana :).

Thanks guys, seems that I went to the right side. I already changed the oil, and it has been running fine for few days, no smoke (just in the mornings), but nothing wrong with it.

So does mine, but I reckon 15W40 is more suitable in the climate over here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom