Is there no good cordless screwdriver with removable 18650 battery out there? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
is that too much to ask? I have a cordless screwdriver with expensive proprietary batteries that have conked out and I likely can't find anyway. So I'd like to go instead with a tool that can take easily removable 18650s instead. As in swapping them in 10 secs flat. Rather than having to wait an hour to recharge a designed-to-be-obsolescent built-in battery. I have tons of the 18650s.
Should be easy to design something like that since it looks like most of the cordless screwdrivers out there now are 4V so it seems likely they are 18650s already.

Know of a good one?

Depending on what you're doing you might consider pneumatic. I switched all of our screwdriver tasks from cordless over to Uryu pneumatics after trying one. They are ridiculously awesome.

If you are doing impact driver type stuff then nevermind. But if you are driving screws the Uryu drivers cannot be beat. They are thousands new, but you can buy them on Ebay around $50.

Thanks. I would like something small and nimble I can use to take things like powertools and electronic equipment apart more easily than with the regular size drill or impact driver. No need to be very powerful. And definitely don't want to drag an air line or a cord behind me.

There are tons of very small 4V cordless screwdrivers on amazon that seem very handy, but I have yet to see one with removable 18650.

Thanks. I would like something small and nimble I can use to take things like powertools and electronic equipment apart more easily than with the regular size drill or impact driver. No need to be very powerful. And definitely don't want to drag an air line or a cord behind me.

There are tons of very small 4V cordless screwdrivers on amazon that seem very handy, but I have yet to see one with removable 18650.

They're way smaller than cordless tools and more powerful. That's the reason for choosing air. I totally understand not wanting to use an air hose.

Just about every consumer product that uses screws and small bolts is assembled at the factory with Japanese Uryu tools. You set the torque (ingenious how that works on them BTW) and you drive screws as fast fast as you can load them.

We use them for operating our CNC fixtures and for assembling products.

Your post made me think about an old Black & Decker VersaPak screwdriver - that I still have around here somewhere - and also of the StreamLight that one of the guys at the shop has that kind of reminds me of the B&D setup...

VersaPak.jpg

StreamLight.jpg

That got me thinking about updating the old screwdriver (which offered Ni-Cad or Ni-MH batteries) - which led me to this: Black & Decker Versapak Upgrade to Li-ion - https://www.instructables.com/Black-amp-Decker-Versapak-upgrade-to-Li-ion/

The initial (2008) Instructable uses two RCR123A Li-Ion batteries, but down at the bottom he has an update where upgraded it again to an 18650.

I know that doesn't help you much, but I might just drag the old B&D out and see if I can do the 18650 upgrade to it.

mine looks like the one below. Must be 20 years old. Was quite nice actually, although big by today's standards. Can be made straight or with a pistol grip. The NiCads are about dead. They are smallish 7.4V pods, a bit short for an 18650. I've been toying with the idea of replacing the nicads innards with a couple of 18650s in a tray of sort but I need to find one that can handle more current than the usual piddling amount. Or maybe use those individual connector caps they have for large banks of 18650s.
Dewalt    Screenshot 2023-11-19 204846.png

Print a new battery holder for your existing tool?

yes, that would be perfect, but I don't have a 3D printer nor do I know how to use one, so maybe some day on that one, but not quite yet, sadly. But for the time being, one can do wonders with epoxy and time.

Might try searching to see if someone has already made it. Etsy, GrabCAD, etc.

Slightly different battery but at least the batteries are relatively cheap.

Amazon product ASIN B08H7XPQ31

yes, that would be perfect, but I don't have a 3D printer nor do I know how to use one, so maybe some day on that one, but not quite yet, sadly. But for the time being, one can do wonders with epoxy and time.
Check Etsy. You may find one, or someone who can print one for you.

Re-cell your old pack. Protip - spot weld your contacts, solder gets the way too hot.

Learn something new, you can play in fusion 360 for free. There are places that will do the 3d printing

Re-cell your old pack. Protip - spot weld your contacts, solder gets the way too hot.

Learn something new, you can play in fusion 360 for free. There are places that will do the 3d printing
The old batteries probably aren't Li ion though, so the BMS won't be right.

yes, I would need a BMS too. Fortunately, I think you can buy 18650 with BMSes built in, maybe that's enough.

I am stunned, BTW. I watched a disassembly video of that old Dewalt screwdriver. That thing is built amazingly well. All cast metal, ball bearings out the wazoo. I don't think you can buy anything like this today. And I really like the idea of having the adjustable clutch. So more incentive to fix this rather than getting a new plasticky one. Mine is more like a hybrid between a screwdriver and a drill/driver, I think.

Thanks WDE, that Wiha up there looks nice. A tad pricy, though. Pity the batteries are shorter. True they are not that expensive, but my main point was to put more of my 18650s to good use, not to get more of a different platform and more clutter, so that's a deterrent. But to be fair if I have to buy 18650s with built-in BMS then it's the same point (except for having already suitable chargers for those).

I wonder why they no longer offer adjustable clutches on so many of these screwdrivers. Are they just intended to seat the screw and then you finish it by hand? I like the idea of a powerful enough screwdriver that I can use it for nuts and bolts as well.

well.....

so I'm pondering what to do with 18650s....

then....

I'm pondering whether to get a generic replacement battery for my old (wonderful) Dewalt screwdriver....

then....

I say "Screw it!" (literally in this case!)

It's Black Friday

YOLO, so....

if it's so inexpensive that they likely lose money on it... (loss leader)

who am I to say no!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom