Broke front recovery point bolt - welded side (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm working on taking off my old bumper and recovery points to put on an ironman bumper and I broke the inner welded on nut, so it just spins and spins now. Any ideas or suggestions on how the heck to get the bolt out now? It's the far-back one in the picture and the cover on the frame end prevents any kind of socket or wrench from fitting onto it.

I was thinking of cutting it, but my sawzall blade just barely fits at it, then I have the problem of a rattling bolt in there (I guess it'll knock some of the rust loose). I don't have a welder or know how to weld (if it'd even be possible to get a stick in there...)

53020594631_dc407b6d32_k.jpg

53020982540_e714b5b322_c.jpg

53021079583_6f33ca5229_c.jpg

I just realized also, if I cut it, I wouldn't have any way to tighten it with the Ironman front bumper mount positioned on it. That covers up the already tiny window I have to access it. 😥

You may also be able to wedge something between the nut on the inside and the inner wall of the frame to keep the nut from spinning as you back out the bolt. Also, I'm fairly certain that the Ironman bumpers actually come with a nut plate with a wire to located it.

See this recovery point from the ebay: Recovery Tow Points W/shackles For Nissan Patrol Gu Series 3 4 5 Hi Tensile Bolt | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/256112805548

It comes with the 2 nut plates, and even a pair of shackles, and only half the prices of those famous recovery points.
Correct, it's made for Nissan Patrol. However, per my research, it's also fit Land Cruiser 80 and 100. Proof? See the installation manual of Ironman recovery point. BTW, the "1 sold" was to me, and I'm in the same boat of installing an Ironmon bumper :)

1689634024370.png

Clever, those Chinese...

See this recovery point from the ebay: Recovery Tow Points W/shackles For Nissan Patrol Gu Series 3 4 5 Hi Tensile Bolt | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/256112805548

It comes with the 2 nut plates, and even a pair of shackles, and only half the prices of those famous recovery points.
Correct, it's made for Nissan Patrol. However, per my research, it's also fit Land Cruiser 80 and 100. Proof? See the installation manual of Ironman recovery point. BTW, the "1 sold" was to me, and I'm in the same boat of installing an Ironmon bumper :)

View attachment 3376278
This is perfect, glad someone else is in the same situation! (not happy that your bolt broke, but misery loves company). I just ordered one of these, as well. I'm curious what size bolt/thread it'll be using.

McMaster-Carr sells lots of nut plates, but nothing that I can find in M14. I was thinking of just converting this one bolt to standard.

I'm a little skeptical of the quality of these shackles and just using the term 'hi tensile' bolt vs grade 8 or 10.9 bolt... But even still, if the recovery points are decent it is still cheap.

I'm a little skeptical of the quality of these shackles and just using the term 'hi tensile' bolt vs grade 8 or 10.9 bolt... But even still, if the recovery points are decent it is still cheap.

McMaster Carr has the right bolts

Delivers May 1
1Medium-Strength Class 8.8 Steel Hex Head Screw
M14 x 1.5 mm Thread, 55 mm Long
91180A787
pack of 5
pack
$14.56
Merchandise14.56
Shipping8.14
Tax0.91
Total$23.61

As someone in the other thread observed, those recovery points are now $149 - not a bargain at all.

Normally those ridiculous prices mean they don't have it in stock. Unless you need it immediately, I don't mind waiting for the price comes right. IMHO, it doesn't justify the 1$$ price tag for 2 piece of steel ,even it's proudly made in USA. Actually, this foreign made recovery point has more mental and cost more in material and shipping (oversea).

Update, I finally was able to get the rest of the bumper installed. Fishing the bolt in took an hour of finagling to get it just lined up perfectly, then threaded. Once the bolt finally caught, it worked pretty well. I am very hesitant to over torque it and fold the plate around it.

Regarding the eBay tow points, they definitely aren't worth that much. All I ended up using was one of the nut plates. I have to ta ke off the rear bumper next, so I'll save it for if / when I break another one. If I magically don't break another one, I'll reply to the group here to see if anyone needs it - happy to mail it out.

I wouldn't pay $150 for the set, the quality isn't particularly great. I agree with the above post that they're probably just out of stock.

Update, I finally was able to get the rest of the bumper installed. Fishing the bolt in took an hour of finagling to get it just lined up perfectly, then threaded. Once the bolt finally caught, it worked pretty well. I am very hesitant to over torque it and fold the plate around it.

Regarding the eBay tow points, they definitely aren't worth that much. All I ended up using was one of the nut plates. I have to ta ke off the rear bumper next, so I'll save it for if / when I break another one. If I magically don't break another one, I'll reply to the group here to see if anyone needs it - happy to mail it out.

I wouldn't pay $150 for the set, the quality isn't particularly great. I agree with the above post that they're probably just out of stock.
You in need of any recovery points? I have some with hardware I can send you for cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom