Intro to my LJ70, plus progress & upgrades (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
the911den.com
I've been a member of this site since 2010 but never introduced myself. I've owned a couple of FJ40's since 1988, a 1980 and a 1970. Today I only have the ’70 left but I enjoyed them both. The LJ70 is a different animal however. Unlike the FJ40, there were a lot of unknowns with the LJ70 model for me at least. Where do I get parts, repair manuals, what are the upgrades, do's and don’ts? I have learned much from the members of this forum and have had a very positive experience as a result of that, so thank you forum members!

I have wanted a more economical / practical version of my FJ40 for years but only found what I wanted over- seas. For years I checked out these cool rigs that people in other parts of the world were driving. Why didn’t we get any of these cool versions of the Land Cruiser here?? I wanted rubber floor mats, roll up windows, manual locking hubs, limited electronics, no CD player needed, no cruise control, didn’t want leather seats and NO power locks! My wife said there must be something wrong with me… and I guess there was / is. I did find a few RHD 70 series I liked for sale that had been imported but this needed to be something my wife could drive too and I wanted a manual transmission and that may be asking too much for her to be comfortable with. Down the road a few years I got a call from a "car buddy" who said he was going to sell his cherished LJ70 soft top to pursue another vehicle. An LJ… I ran that through my mind and recalled reading about one in the Specter catalog. I needed pictures, even though it was going to be more than I was willing to spend I wanted to see it. My buddy had imported this LJ and it was a very nice example. Too nice for me really and more than I wanted / needed to spend. As we all do when such opportunities arise, I couldn’t get this LJ out of my head. I looked at the pictures over and over. Then my thoughts advanced to how I would fix this or that. Or how I would add this accessory, or modify something. No harm in just thinking about these things, I mean… I wasn’t going to be buying it! The turning point came when I was discussing the LJ with its current owner. Again, since I wasn’t going to be buying then it wouldn’t hurt to ask a few questions. Turns out the LJ had 13K documented kilometers (8000 miles) on it from new. I asked… how can this be? The LJ had spent it’s life on the island of Corsica in the French Mediterranean Sea. The island is 114 miles long and 52 miles wide and roughly half of the island is a dedicated nature reserve. As the story goes, the gentleman who owned the LJ from new kept the vehicle at his second home which was on the island. He drove it when he visited there and used it for some off- road exploring. The yearly French inspection papers tell the story of the low mileage and I can find no evidence to suggest otherwise.

With that, I struck a deal for the 70 and my education regarding this model really started. I hope to describe over the next few posts my experience and points of interest while driving my new 70. So far it has been a blast…albeit a slow blast.

Leonard

IMG_1428.jpg
IMG_1426.jpg

Last edited:
Nice tidy 70. The slowness is one reason why the US doesn't get vehicles like this, they are more at home trundling along on bad roads.
If you want something that can cruise at 80mph ,it wont look like an LJ70.
Is it a turbo version?
The electrical system is much like a 60 series, parts like relays etc will change over

If you are into giving vehicles names, I will suggest Napoleon with Corsica being his birthplace.

Nice tidy 70. The slowness is one reason why the US doesn't get vehicles like this, they are more at home trundling along on bad roads.
If you want something that can cruise at 80mph ,it wont look like an LJ70.
Is it a turbo version?
The electrical system is much like a 60 series, parts like relays etc will change over

If you are into giving vehicles names, I will suggest Napoleon with Corsica being his birthplace.
You know, I remembered the same thing about Napoléon. I thought about calling it shorty since it is the very short model but after my wife asked why I called it shorty when it was obvious to anyone that it was very tall I went back to the drawing board. Napoléon it shall Be.

It is the turbo version. It also has some nice additions that were already installed when I received it as the third owner. I’ll post those as we go. Thank you!

Sweet Ride! Post more pics! Most of our LJs have been ridden hard and put away wet.
Yours looks pristine! Awesome find!

Thank you much! Nice to hear there are others out there that like it! My Jeep buddies just stared and gave me the “ what have you done” look when I drove up in this. They are use to giving me a hard time because I drive the FJ40 amongst all the jeeps but these looks were on a whole new level. More pics to come!

Hello,

Is the snorkel from a newer model 70 Series? Looks good on your truck.

You may want to disassemble the snorkel and seal its joints. OEM snorkels are not particularly airtight.

Juan

Hello,

Is the snorkel from a newer model 70 Series? Looks good on your truck.

You may want to disassemble the snorkel and seal its joints. OEM snorkels are not particularly airtight.

Good eye Juan. Yes it is. I bought it off this forum from from Brian @jowettperformance. Nice guy and the snorkel was like new and it fit on nicely. I have a Safari Snorkel on my FJ40 and those snorkels are certainly more water tight than the factory snorkel which to my understanding was simply to get the fresh air intake out of the dust. I wanted it for the fresh air intake for the intercooler. One of the common ways to help keep these little turbo engines cool. I think I will seal it up though as you mention.

Leonard

Last edited:
I am actually about to install that same snorkel on my LJ78. Would you mind snapping a few pictures of the intake plumbing? I haven't decided how I am going to do that yet. I am still pondering a few different ways to do it.

Thank you much! Nice to hear there are others out there that like it! My Jeep buddies just stared and gave me the “ what have you done” look when I drove up in this. They are use to giving me a hard time because I drive the FJ40 amongst all the jeeps but these looks were on a whole new level. More pics to come!

They would have been secretly drooling over it. I remember sitting in a Jeep at a caryard not long after I got my FJ73 lic and on the road. I knew then how superior the Landcruiser was to the Jeep.

I have never gotten a compliment from a single Jeep owner in regards to my FJ73. Seems like in my area that most of them are females too. (Nothing against females...just personal observation)

I do get compliments from people driving various other vehicles however.

Last edited:
I am actually about to install that same snorkel on my LJ78. Would you mind snapping a few pictures of the intake plumbing? I haven't decided how I am going to do that yet. I am still pondering a few different ways to do it.

Yes sir I will get some pics. I had to order some aftermarket plumbing bits to make it work. Those should arrive this week I hope.

One of my first upgrades was to replace the stock muffler. The muffler was still present but attached to a nice 2.5 stainless exhaust which went all the way to the turbo. The only reason I could figure this factory muffler with its tiny inlet and outlets was still on the vehicle was perhaps due to noise requirements back in Corsica. I cut the stainless exhaust pipe just after it made a 90 degree turn towards the back of the vehicle under the passenger floor board. I used a large diameter outlet as I already had it in the garage from another project. I used the AT2525 from Aero Exhaust AT2525 Performance Muffler 2.5" inside diameter
View attachment 1621680

IMG_0718.jpg

I was fortunate in the fact that the LJ already had front and rear ARB's installed. However, the compressor was installed in the rear cargo area and it was taking up valuable storage space. The compressor was going to have to be moved and a good friend suggested a set of pneumatic switches. These eliminated all of the wiring to the arb rocker switches. The only electrical connection needed would be to activate the compressor itself. First step was to move the compressor.

s-l1600 (13).jpg
IMG_0714.jpg
IMG_0716.jpg
IMG_0703 (1).jpg
IMG_0624.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom