Intro and lots of blowby (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all!

I am new to this forum and already surprised by the amount of info here. I just purchased a 1976 FJ40 from a TLF auction (TFL is a youtube channel). The FJ is currently located in Colorado but will get it shipped to Northern California. Looks like the truck had lived in California for much of its life, then sold to Oklahoma and then spent ~20 years mostly sitting at a monastery in CO - hence my username.

There are a few problems with the car, and I am planning to work on it myself on the weekends - this will be my first car project ever. The truck runs and the transmission seems smooth, but the engine has lots of blowby. I am hoping to get advice to troubleshoot. I reckon rebuilding the engine might be needed, but would love to hear your thoughts. You can see the blowby and the truck in this video: (skip to min 12:38). They also found lots of gas mixed with oil when changing oil. My concern is that the truck would prob not pass smog test in California, which is required to register it :(.

Anyway, I am happy the FJ community is so strong and glad to be part of it!

Thanks in advance.

Welcome! You'll find a wealth of information here as well as great people from all over the world. Is your smog equipment intact? If not, you will have more trouble than you bargained for trying to register it in California.

seems like you have all the smog stuff connected.
Replace all your vacuum lines and check all your valves.
congrats on your purchase.
looking forward to seeing the progress.

Fuel in oil: check fuel pump
Blowby: check PCV valve is functioning, possibly bad rings/piston(s) or head gasket

Love the story. Welcome!

Thanks all! I will check on those items for sure. And yes, all the stock emissions system components are there

Embrace the possibilities of rotted body mounts and piston rings. Just getting those two things done alone will result in a top-notch Cruiser, an elite group of trucks that hold together, and make good use of engine spin. Welcome.

Change the oil, valve adjustment, compression test, run through all vacuum lines, reseal intake manifold, refresh the carb and set it up per factory. If compression is trash, fix that before any work is done. Toyota FSM states every check you should perform to make sure the truck runs correctly, highly recommend since working on vehicles is new to you.

I'm looking forward to a refresh on my crank-end of things. I want bores and rings done, fresh crank bearings. I'd be ashamed to bring my head in for valves, as I'd try to get by with entirely used, and only visually inspected. I don't want to pay for a bunch of machining services, when the best work that you can get from a good shop would be checking the castings for any cracking. Which head to go with, old and domed pistons, or more recent flat-head types, I have both. Used OEM exhaust valves are commonly pitted, but, I can't imagine needing that kind of compression.

I'm pretty sure that my driveway is almost on a direct line between the machine shop and the original thread poster - PM me. I'll entertain any option that allows me to measure my home's collection of Cruisers in whole numbers, and I'd like this stuff to be running again.

I really enjoyed the video; I can relate to all the enthusiasm. I revel in finding weak electrical grounds, and guessing which bolts will break free right below the washer with about the same, or slightly more, than the torque used to install it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom