Intermittent Starting - Silence (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

So my 1996 FZJ80 is having an issue with intermittent starting. About 1 in 3 times, it takes several times turning the key before the starter will crank. Sometimes this takes several attempts (put key in, turn a couple times, take key out, put back in, turn a couple of times, etc.) but thus far it has always started within a handful of attempts. If anything, it starts MORE reliably when warm, whereas similar posts I have read up on have the opposite problem. I do have a Viper alarm/remote starter that I put in myself, but when it's choosing not to start, it doesn't start remotely, either (no crank at all), and this system has yet to cause me any other trouble.

I don't believe it's the starter, as it was recently replaced (re-manufactured, but still...), and when it does start, it cranks very strongly and starts just as normal. It's just that every now and again, I'll turn the key and I get absolutely nothing. AutoZone guy (was in there for some coolant for my other vehicle) said it was probably the starter switch/cylinder (also what I suspect to be the issue), since my starter had recently been replaced with no issues and my battery is fairly new and has like a billion CCA (massive NorthStar that was around $330). I also recently replaced my fusible links, which resolved a no-start issue (ignition circuit was open - no CEL with key in "on" position). I also recently rebuilt my power steering pump after the O rings started to seep, sending PS fluid everywhere... could it have gotten on something along the starter circuit that could cause this?

Does it sound like his diagnosis is correct? Any other possibilities? I suppose I shouldn't rule the starter itself out, but it just seems unlikely given the circumstances. Any relays, circuits, or general electrical issues I should be aware of? The cylinder and switch are about $100 new online for both, so it's not a huge issue to just replace them outright. Will I be tearing down my whole dash? Is this a good time to fix/upgrade the dash lights (I, like most, no longer have the little "D" light, for example)?

Thanks for the thoughts. Not a desperate issue right now, but I'd really like for it not to become one.

My first thought is the starter relay hanging up. Bad parts come off the shelf everyday.

How soon after starter replacement did the problem begin happening?

Have you checked ALL wire connections? Have you cleaned the battery ground connection at the engine block?

We don’t see many ignition switches being replaced in comparison with start relay kits.

It may be the key cylinder as you have deduced. If there is play or slack, does wiggling the key help?
That could wear out the cylinder faster though. Loose wire to key cylinder, cracked wire?
Check all the ground wires, are they clean and very tight?
Reman starter does not guarantee it will grab and turn. Possibly swap that with another one temporarily and eliminate that as a factor.
Your on the right path though as far as I see. Good luck.

When it happens, does shifting to neutral make it start? Would not discount the possibility of the vatozone reman being junk.

It's likely a intermittent connection somewhere along the wiring to the starter relay. Ive covered it extensively in a couple of my threads. Bypass the stock wiring and quite possibly, you're good to go.

I'll provide a link later. On my way to work!

I would look at your fusible links and your starter and ground cables.

I had the identical problem you described in the first post not to long ago. Had a new denso starter put in, works perfect now. Maybe you got a bad one when you replaced it.

I had the identical problem you described in the first post not to long ago. Had a new denso starter put in, works perfect now. Maybe you got a bad one when you replaced it.

Yep, we often refurbish them, but when replacing the Denso 280-0169 is the go to. Have not been impressed with most of the "rebuilds" shoddy work, seals/breathers missing, etc.

Also had very similar symptoms... did a fusible link and still had the problem then put in a new starter and been good for the past several months.

Wow. How can you recommend this as a fix without any diagnostics? He likely has a bad starter.

He has a (new) remanufactured starter. Really think it's the starter? Been there. Done that. Wasted time. Diagnostics have been dealt with prior. Shotgun approach it, but before that skim through my threads. He has a 22 year old truck.

Replaced my starter twice before I figured it out. Replaced the fusible links. Checked the neutral safety. Checked and cleaned up the grounds and all ground contacts. All temp fixes at best. Sure don't believe me.

What makes most sense is efficiency of $ and time.

Bypass the stock wiring with a $15 relay and 1 hours of time, or buy ANOTHER starter for over $100 plus time.

Heck, replace the fusible links and check the grounds before replacing a new remanufactured starter.

Denso 280-0169 Remanufactured Starter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C5YDEW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_pDJeBbP6XHRX9

Just trying to help. It's an old truck. Stuff goes bad and the stock starter wiring has proven to go bad many times over.

Check the battery connections to the starter, and to the main engine earth. Also ensure the actually battery terminals are cleanly and firmly connected to the battery terminal posts.

He has a (new) remanufactured starter. Really think it's the starter? Been there. Done that. Wasted time. Diagnostics have been dealt with prior. Shotgun approach it, but before that skim through my threads. He has a 22 year old truck.
And I had 2 reman OEM starters that were bad out of the red box. It is foolish to make your assumption .

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Like I said, I'm inclined to think it's not the starter, as it cranks strong and true every time it does choose to do so and fires right up. I am gonna look around the wiring on my Viper system and make sure the starter wire interrupt isn't slowly working its way loose, then I will run that wiring bypass, then look into replacing the cylinder/switch. Replacing the starter will be the very last thing I do, as it's the most expensive and seems least likely at this juncture. I'll report back once I feel that the problem has been solved, but it may be hard to tell as sometimes it will start on the first attempt for days in a row.

And I had 2 reman OEM starters that were bad out of the red box. It is foolish to make your assumption .

And I've replaced two perfectly good remanufactured starters by chasing ghosts. Go figure. There is absolutely nothing foolish about saving cash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom