Insurance for your FJ60 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DUTCHDJ1

SILVER Star
Threads
Would like to get advice on how others are insuring vehicles.
I'm picking up a 1990 FJ62 with low miles (88K) and it is easily insured by Hagerty until I put a bumper on the front. Then they won't insure as it's deemed an offroad vehicle now.

What does everyone do for their insurance to make sure they keep the value of the vehicle insured? I'm not worried about offroad as I won't be going crazy but am more worried about the idiots on cell phones on the highway. My normal insurance will only insure what Kelly Blue Book or similar rates it (which will be far below value)

Any and all advice is welcome to make sure I can insure it to its real value. No issue proving to a comapny that it has value over the lowball values on KBB, edmunds, etc.

Thanks all. I have done some searching through the forum but haven't found anything. Sorry if this is in the wrong section but wasn't sure where to put this question.

Would like to get advice on how others are insuring vehicles.
I'm picking up a 1990 FJ62 with low miles (88K) and it is easily insured by Hagerty until I put a bumper on the front. Then they won't insure as it's deemed an offroad vehicle now.

What does everyone do for their insurance to make sure they keep the value of the vehicle insured? I'm not worried about offroad as I won't be going crazy but am more worried about the idiots on cell phones on the highway. My normal insurance will only insure what Kelly Blue Book or similar rates it (which will be far below value)

Any and all advice is welcome to make sure I can insure it to its real value. No issue proving to a comapny that it has value over the lowball values on KBB, edmunds, etc.

Thanks all. I have done some searching through the forum but haven't found anything. Sorry if this is in the wrong section but wasn't sure where to put this question.
Nvrmnd. I was incorrect. It was old info.

Hagerty didn’t give me any issues with my 60 or 40. Both have bull bars.
Thanks. I have Hagerty for my 68 Firebird and added my new FJ62 this AM. I went over policy docs and it's all good. It was just some obscure reference on the web I guess. Glad to be an FJ owner!

From all I’ve read about hagerty they will sell you declared value insurance for your cruiser so you do t get screwed by some obscure book reference should anything happen in the future.
Correct. I have both my 40 and 60 under them with declared values. Super easy to work with.

Farmers best i found............

Hagerty wouldnt Insure mine without it being garaged and cldnt drive it more than 5000 miles/year...

Hagerty wouldnt Insure mine without it being garaged and cldnt drive it more than 5000 miles/year...
That’s my current struggle. Truck won’t fit in the garage, I don’t have a driveway, and I put 10k miles on it per year.

If you are shopping Hagerty, definitely call Grundy as well. My Grundy quote was $280 a year and that included maxing all coverages they offer as I need at least 250/500 to work with my Umbrella policy. Think I did $35k value for quote. Believe Hagerty was $750 for same.

My main issue if that I do use the truck for errands and such, which they say is excluded. So hate to be paying for insurance that may deny a claim based on how I use it. I currently have Farmer's but they don't do stated value. My renewal is up so kind of torn on what to do.

If you are shopping Hagerty, definitely call Grundy as well. My Grundy quote was $280 a year and that included maxing all coverages they offer as I need at least 250/500 to work with my Umbrella policy. Think I did $35k value for quote. Believe Hagerty was $750 for same.

My main issue if that I do use the truck for errands and such, which they say is excluded. So hate to be paying for insurance that may deny a claim based on how I use it. I currently have Farmer's but they don't do stated value. My renewal is up so kind of torn on what to do.
Farmers does Stated/Appraised Values...well, atleast My guy told me they will.

Farmers does Stated/Appraised Values...well, atleast My guy told me they will.

Interesting. My policy was Met Life that recently was purchased by Farmer's and I use a local broker. Reached out to a Farmer's agent to see if that option is available. Broker said it was not - would need to go to Hagerty or similar.

Interesting. My policy was Met Life that recently was purchased by Farmer's and I use a local broker. Reached out to a Farmer's agent to see if that option is available. Broker said it was not - would need to go to Hagerty or similar.
May be different for different States...idk

I use American Modern insurance Group for set value coverage. There is a mileage restriction though.

Last edited:
Just insured mine and I didn't have to garage and they had an option where I could do 7500 miles. I will get a greater discount once I get the garage cleaned out on one side.

Just insured mine and I didn't have to garage and they had an option where I could do 7500 miles. I will get a greater discount once I get the garage cleaned out on one side.

Hagerty seems to be all over the place on restrictions, or lack thereof. As long as I had another car registered in my name (I have a garage so that didn't come up). I don't have any restrictions, mileage or usage. Though I'm sure if I flipped it wheeling they'd say no dice.

Hagerty seems to be all over the place on restrictions, or lack thereof. As long as I had another car registered in my name (I have a garage so that didn't come up). I don't have any restrictions, mileage or usage. Though I'm sure if I flipped it wheeling they'd say no dice.
May want to verify as I was told it would basically cover cruising around but anytime it was parked it needed to be my locked garage. No errands and that type of use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom