Indoor Air Testing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
Odd request. I'm getting a smell in my house that I can't figure out. I started keeping track last summer, and it appears to be on a schedule ... Wednesday and Sunday. It's really killing me. I thought maybe the City was treating the sewers with something, or a neighbor was cook drugs.

Either way, I would like to investigate if it's even possible to test the air in my house and determine what's going on. Does anybody know of a company that does such a thing? I've found a few possibilities on Google, but they are not calling me back.

Maybe call Brothers @ (505) 299-0457 in ABQ NE Heights - if they can’t do what you need done they might be able to recommend someone. We’ve dealt with them on HVAC stuff for awhile & they are solid.

Odd request. I'm getting a smell in my house that I can't figure out. I started keeping track last summer, and it appears to be on a schedule ... Wednesday and Sunday. It's really killing me. I thought maybe the City was treating the sewers with something, or a neighbor was cook drugs.

Either way, I would like to investigate if it's even possible to test the air in my house and determine what's going on. Does anybody know of a company that does such a thing? I've found a few possibilities on Google, but they are not calling me back.
Heya Pappy!
UNM uses Havana, I have done a few of them over the years. There are several home DIY kits for air quality where you can send it in to a lab- seems like the best option. low cost rule out for if it's a low hanging fruit issue.

What is your closest description of the odor?
I would also perhaps call Fire dept or non-emergency if you suspect a meth cook- they may have received calls regarding mystery smell before as well. They may help you rule out.

Are you having any symptomology? fatigue?...(PREGNANT PAUSE)........ irritability?
Headaches? (aside from my post?)

Heya Pappy!
Are you having any symptomology? fatigue?...(PREGNANT PAUSE)........ irritability?
Headaches? (aside from my post?)

Headaches/dizzy. Burning/blistering lips. Aggravation of my asthma.

I really can't describe it. Just a chemical smell.

Irritability is normal.

Uh.... I'm going to say go to Urgent Care today (Duke City is bad a$$). And go stay with a girlfriend for awhile... (as long as thats for sure NOT where the blisters on your lips are from)

Headaches/dizzy. Burning/blistering lips. Aggravation of my asthma.

I really can't describe it. Just a chemical smell.

Irritability is normal.
does your water smell bad?- blistering lips suggests ingestion...

does your water smell bad?- blistering lips suggests ingestion...
Water is fine. Plus, I drink RO. I've made a few calls, done a few Google searches, and I have a fella coming out on Sunday.

This is driving me nuts.

One of my Art teachers in college had some water damage to her home, and after insurance fixed it all, her health deteriorated over a 6 month period, until i think she ended up in the ER. They determined health failure was due exposure to black mold growing in her home.

Once she moved out, health returned in a somewhat rapid manner, and she had to fight like hell to get the insurance company to remediate the mold.

Took over 3 years for her to get back in a healthy house, in a healthy way.

I am sure you looked in to all this, I kindof like these problems though so please forgive my nosiness. I deal with them on a pretty regular basis with my buildings being older.
Here is a interesting link on formaldehyde, any new construction, flooring, furniture??

One of my Art teachers in college had some water damage to her home, and after insurance fixed it all, her health deteriorated over a 6 month period, until i think she ended up in the ER. They determined health failure was due exposure to black mold growing in her home.

Once she moved out, health returned in a somewhat rapid manner, and she had to fight like hell to get the insurance company to remediate the mold.

I don't know what is worse about that story- black mold health damage or fighting with insurance.

Black mold is no joke and a home DIY test may be in order just to rule it out. Just a thought.

Black mold is no joke and a home DIY test may be in order just to rule it out. Just a thought.
That was a thought I had not thought of. I did the Google thing and the symptoms don't match what I'm experiencing. I will still ask the question.

That was a thought I had not thought of. I did the Google thing and the symptoms don't match what I'm experiencing. I will still ask the question.
Black mold also causes slow increase of crankiness and irritation at any other 1st, 2nd or 3rd 4runner GEN X,Y&Z owners.

True story.

You better have yourself checked.

Black mold also causes slow increase of crankiness and irritation at any other 1st, 2nd or 3rd 4runner GEN X,Y&Z owners.

True story.

You better have yourself checked.

I'm a lucky fella to have so many people concerned about my disposition. :flipoff2:

Pappy is a tad rusty, true story.

Is her name Kay, house near Indian school and San Mateo? Sounds exactly like my neighbor’s journey…

Is her name Kay, house near Indian school and San Mateo? Sounds exactly like my neighbor’s journey…
I’ve had so much life happen since those days, I can’t recall her name off the top of my head. Photography professor.
Might be.
It was closer to Carlisle and Constitution I think.

I’ve had the willies about mold ever since.

Her place looked like a set from ET for months.

I’ve had so much life happen since those days, I can’t recall her name off the top of my head. Photography professor.
Might be.
It was closer to Carlisle and Constitution I think.

I’ve had the willies about mold ever since.

Her place looked like a set from ET for months.
Spooky how common this is in the desert. Different person, she just moved back in over the summer.
@pappy whatever it is I hope it’s simple and an easy fix. Keep us posted!

@pappy whatever it is I hope it’s simple and an easy fix. Keep us posted!
Not sure about an easy fix. I still think it's something getting dumped in the sewer. I made a bunch of calls and everybody referred me to the same person. He came out and did a test on Monday ($$$$$$$). I wish I had waited a day because I got slammed hard yesterday. The fella that did the test specialized in black mold and he didn't think that was the problem.

I also posted up in the Nextdoor app. Hopefully the offending party sees what I said and stops. I do have an idea what's going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom