In the beginning... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought my rig in '96. Back then there wasn't Ih8mud just the LCML (Land Cruiser Mailing List). Paid $1500 for a '72 (no engine). I had to drag it out of the farmers field. Fast forward. I built it the way I wanted (read: no compromise 4 wheeler and good road manners), but I made one mis-calculation. I should have used a 4 speed transfer case as the noise from the straight cut gears in the 3 sp are really noisy. I'd like to change that. I'm wondering if I could replace the transfer case 3 spd gears for the 4 spd gears. I really don't need the lower gearing of the 3 spd.

are we talking transmission or transfer case ?

my '72 came converted (by some PO) to a 4 spd transmission with floor-mounted shifter

are we talking transmission or transfer case ?

my '72 came converted (by some PO) to a 4 spd transmission with floor-mounted shifter
Transmission is pretty quiet (NV4500). Transfer case is from the original drive train mated to the NV4500. No question the whine is from the straight cut gears in the transfer case.

Only straight cut gear in the transfer case is the PTO gear. Unless you have a PTO attached it just spinning and not running on anything. The later four speed have a wider fear making it quieter.

So I was impressed going from a 3 speed transfer case to an Orion. Excessive gear noise gone.

Not sure what makes the difference, but an Orion is 2/10 gear noise wise and the 3 speed transfer case is 8/10.

To directly answer your question, yes, there is a 10 spline, wide cut gear that will mate the 76-80 case to your output shaft. I do not stock the gear or I would offer to sell it to you. My friend Sonny at FJparts.com has it in stock for $130.00

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom