ih8mud inspired build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks D21FJ60. Not perfect but I'm happy over all and sooo close to done.

Unfortunately another move and another delay.

My annual trip to the USA was brought forward and I was not happy with the situation at the panel shop I was hiring space from. (Lots of my stuff growing legs and disappearing) so I was forced to get my stuff the hell out of there while I still had some and get it stored somewhere safe. That little exercise took about 2 weeks.

I managed to get hold of a nice single garage and small inter leading storeroom in the complex I live. That is now the Dagha Boy's new home. Given that it is so close to done, I can finish off in peace right there when I get back in July. The FJ75 has been shoe horned into my single garage/storeroom for the duration.

WAITED A LONG TIME TO FINALLY FIT THAT EMBLEM

IMG_4392.JPG

ANYBODY KNOW WHERE I CAN GET THE OVAL RUBBER BEHIND THE TRANS HUMP?
IMG_4391.JPG

IMG_4390.JPG

IMG_4393.JPG

ANYBODY KNOW WHERE I CAN GET THE CORRECT REFLECTORS THAT GO IN THE HOLES AT THE TOP CORNERS OF THE BIB?
IMG_4398.JPG

General happiness all round.

My long running experiments to rejuvenate rubber grommets and seals gone hard seem to have been successful. I believe I have found the magic formula. I have some samples lying on the workbench and some out on the roof in the sun, so will see how the fix lasts when I get back. My results have been from rock hard brittle lumps to beautiful soft pliable in about 48hrs of just "fuming" in a bottle with a dash of the formula rather than soaking. I think that it will be able to do even big seals like windscreen rubbers with just a few ml of the formula in a big airtight container. Very exciting for me. The stuff is also amazing for removing sticky stuff from price labels and stickers...

One of the tings I have to get on this trip is lap seat belts, but I forgot to take measurements before leaving. Can onybody please help with the measurements - Buckle side and clip side?

Thanks Johnny. I'm going to try him and see. Next time I'll know to just close it off and drill a round hole for the pipe.

Having some strike in SA at the moment. Below shows a nice new police Land Cruiser being destroyed by the strikers... Idiotic.

Go find the wrecking yard Dagha, that 1HZ/H55 will go nice in ya 45.

Ja. Wouldn't that be nice. cult45.

Well, the annual USA trip is done and dusted and the MWFD's daughter safely married off. Great fun was had by all.

I was hoping to get into finishing the last of the Dagha Bay stuff as soon as I returned but ended up going off to the bush for three weeks within days of getting back. Big contrast to New York. In a weak moment I agreed to give priority to the Honey Do list without even looking at it. Two weeks back and I've torn out most of the kitchen and replaced it and all of the laminate flooring. Two more rooms to go and it will be a complete re-do done. Then it's back to the Cruisers. The end of the Dagha Boy and hopefully a brand new start on the one lurking in the container.

I'm organising to sell Dagha Boy on auction in Portland, OR, in June next year giving me plenty of time to ship it over and get all the necessary stuff done there.

The rubber experiment has gone well. Even those I left out in the sun on the roof have remained nice an soft and pliable after 3 months.

And in the old MUD tradition a BEFORE and AFTER

ABOUT 3 HOURS BEFORE (Relaxed and carefree)

20170616_143827.jpg

AFTER. (Not so relaxed and carefree...)
IMG_2207.JPG

Thanks Dave, I do think my choice of pub was inspired even if I say so myself.

Hi Grant. If you PM me your details I can send some up. It will be great if you can test it and give your opinion.

Did you ever get around to trying the electrolysis thing? If so, how did it work for you?

I have bought all the components to make my electrolysis, but have not put it into action yet.
My 40 has taken a extreme slow down as I am only waiting on my body to get back from the body shop.
Almost 2 years with them now. Its a bitter sweet because the guy doing the body work is most defiantly the best for the job.
Anyway its almost done now then I will put my electrolysis to the test.

Hi Grant I have to ask ! what on a 40 tub can possibly take 2 years to repair ? no complex curves mostly flat steel plenty of repair panels available.

Hi Katsarata South Africa never got the 40 series only the 45.
Importing body parts is not a option with the way our Rand has fallen from 1995 to now junk status.
As a result all parts have been hand made. My guy works on it in his spare time.
Then Jody Schecktor commissioned him to build 2 x Renault race cars that he raced back in the 60s.
My 40 was pushed aside for the payment in pounds.

Hi Katsarata South Africa never got the 40 series only the 45.
Importing body parts is not a option with the way our Rand has fallen from 1995 to now junk status.
As a result all parts have been hand made. My guy works on it in his spare time.
Then Jody Schecktor commissioned him to build 2 x Renault race cars that he raced back in the 60s.
My 40 was pushed aside for the payment in pounds.

Yeah we never got the 40 either I got mine from Japan, is labour so cheap there it is cheaper to make than buy even with the devalued Rand ? Know all about junk money have you seen whats happening with the pound. Good luck and swift progress.

Fuel line grommet is disco in USA

Try at dealer near you 90480-01419

Used or improv if no go... some guys take two large grommets and cut to fit ... or large sheet rubber cut to fit

Eh... just buy the double-hose heater grommet and widen your whole a bit. Still available OEM and works a treat.
Although if your secret sauce is truly restoring the old rubber then no need I suppose.

Hi Honger

Thanks. That goes into the notes for the next one. I'm inclined to cheap, and if I can recover or fix something original that's the way I tend to go. Not such a big deal on little stuff like grommets, but windscreen rubbers/seals etc that are expensive to replace make it worthwhile. The sauce really works well. I've just done a windscreen shield that was hard to the point of brittle, but not cracked, three days and it is soft and supple like a brand new one. That is a serious saving.

Spring is poking up its head here, so I took the day off yesterday and took the FJ75 for a run in the hills inland from home. It is a huge area of plantations, old plantations being restored to natural vegetation and some areas of remaining natural afro-montane forest. An area of about 200km by 60km with lots of jeep tracks and logging roads and nobody else in there. We spent the day in there and so nobody else... heaven.
THE HILLS ARE CALLING
IMG_2525.JPG

LUNCH STOP IN OLD GROWTH FOREST
IMG_2549.JPG

THIS WAS MORE CHALLENGING THAN IT LOOKS
IMG_2564.JPG

IT GETS A BIT THICK IN THE RESTORED AREAS
IMG_2534.JPG

IMG_2534.JPG

OVER THE TOP AND INTO THE NEXT VALLEY
IMG_2574.JPG

not factory Dagha. looks to be one of those crew cabs the aussies made back in the day with a aftermarket bolted to a 2H. Mr T definitely did NOT fit turbos to the 2H. thats what the 12HT was for ;)

nice looking 45, but not as collectible or rare as the add makes out.

Don't ask D21FJ60. Don't ask when I'm sitting next to you on the "living vicariously" bench.

What happened was mainly the Honey-Do-List. After longish stay in the USA was when the MWFD hit me with the HDL of all HDLs and I ended up stripping just about everything out of the house and re-doing it. No contractors, just me. That has taken from July right through to end of November.

I also got myself involved pro-bono in trying to save my favourite bush pub, Angie's G Spot, from demolition. Government bureaucracy gone totally insane, with shallow ethics and deep pockets to litigate. It takes time fighting these bastards.

So, since this time last year the Dagha Boy has been sitting quietly and totally neglected in the garage, and barring any need to bring an urgent application to court we're off to the bush next week, till mid-January...

The preliminary plan is to finish off when we get back before returning to the States in March...

In the meantime, I have been watching the builds, especially Tractordoc, when I have a spare moment.

But for now it's off to the bush...

dagha boy and ele (2).jpg

Here's wishing one-and-all and their families a wonderful Festive Season and a new year full of progress on the project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom