I Like Big Brakes and I Cannot Lie!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Morgan and Carl, awesome job!

Why 4Runner calipers instead of 200/Tundra calipers?

Couldn’t the larger 07+ Tundra/ 16+ 200 rotors be used? The still clear 17” Rock Warrior wheels.

:cheers:
The 4Runner calipers bolt right onto the 80 knuckle without any mods and are designed to work with 13.3” rotors...same size as the 200.

If you wanted to go to the Tundra/16+ 200 series rotors, then you would need to run 18” wheels as those are even bigger and wont fit inside a 17” wheel. You would also need to figure out some other caliper solution.

Last edited:

Couldn’t the larger 07+ Tundra/ 16+ 200 rotors be used? The still clear 17” Rock Warrior wheels.

The 200/Tundra calipers mount very differently, while the 4runner calipers bolt right to the factory 80 knuckles.

There is not enough room in the 4runner caliper to allow the larger 14"-ish rotors to fit, so they aren't really an option at all.

After putting about 1000 miles on this new brake setup, I can tell you that the change is awesome. Really happy with the result and will be making the same change to my Cummins 80.

After putting about 1000 miles on this new brake setup, I can tell you that the change is awesome. Really happy with the result and will be making the same change to my Cummins 80.

Awesome.

How is the pedal feel, compared to stock? Unless I missed something, @Cruzilla kept the 80 MC and was happy with it despite the 12% longer throw, etc. I like the idea of the pedal matching exactly, but I like the idea of not buying a new MC and bleeding it even more. ;)
@Cruzilla, feel free to update us on this too!

Awesome.

How is the pedal feel, compared to stock? Unless I missed something, @Cruzilla kept the 80 MC and was happy with it despite the 12% longer throw, etc. I like the idea of the pedal matching exactly, but I like the idea of not buying a new MC and bleeding it even more. ;)
@Cruzilla, feel free to update us on this too!
I kept the stock master cylinder and ABS, and it works great, so far I haven't noticed the additional pedal throw. I do need to make some room under the hood for another project I am working on so I will be pulling my ABS pump out soon, at the same time I will swap in the T100 master so will have a good compare at that point too.

I kept the stock master cylinder and ABS, and it works great, so far I haven't noticed the additional pedal throw. I do need to make some room under the hood for another project I am working on so I will be pulling my ABS pump out soon, at the same time I will swap in the T100 master so will have a good compare at that point too.

Even better! :smokin:
I'm assuming the increased braking force means less pedal needed for a given amount of deceleration, resulting in the net feel being similar, but that's just a guess.

So just to verify, you guys are shaving down the hub surface by . 200" correct?
Carl shaved mine .160 and Cruzilla did .200 I beleive. There is a range that you can safely work with. I am not sure about those rings though. Ideally you would want to lathe the the hub nice and flat before pressing a ring on.

Carl shaved mine .160 and Cruzilla did .200 I beleive. There is a range that you can safely work with. I am not sure about those rings though. Ideally you would want to lathe the the hub nice and flat before pressing a ring on.

...and there's no need for a ring at al if we machine a bit more off the face, since there will already be a large enough "step" to center the rotor on without adding a ring. :) (thus the .200" dimension for V.2)

Very nice job guys. I want to kick a kitten into a fan as I literally JUST finished swapping out 4x rotors and 4x calipers with OEM Toyota parts for $1000 AND I'm planning a 17" wheel upgrade. Missed it by 1 week! :bang::bang::bang: It sucked a lot having to pull those dang hubs off to get the front rotor swapped. I forgot that completely when I dug into it, hadn't replaced those rotors in 8 years. I even kept my old calipers to overhaul with the rebuild kits I found after moving. Looks like I have my next rotor replacement planned out...in 8 years...:rolleyes:

Very nice job guys. I want to kick a kitten into a fan as I literally JUST finished swapping out 4x rotors and 4x calipers with OEM Toyota parts for $1000 AND I'm planning a 17" wheel upgrade. Missed it by 1 week! :bang::bang::bang: It sucked a lot having to pull those dang hubs off to get the front rotor swapped. I forgot that completely when I dug into it, hadn't replaced those rotors in 8 years. I even kept my old calipers to overhaul with the rebuild kits I found after moving. Looks like I have my next rotor replacement planned out...in 8 years...:rolleyes:
Ugh, that stinks. Find someone that needs a fresh axle and brakes and sell them you whole axle and take their axle. More work, but might not cost you much if anything.

Great idea but the house I'm in now doesn't have a garage or shop, just a slab, and doing just the brake work was a PITA. Once I'm in the new place I'll be selling some 'gently used' components. ;)

I will be pulling my ABS pump out soon, at the same time I will swap in the T100 master so will have a good compare at that point too.
[/QUOTE]

Will you use the T100 MC w/o ABS when you do? Wasnt sure if internals and ports are the same.

I will be pulling my ABS pump out soon, at the same time I will swap in the T100 master so will have a good compare at that point too.

Will you use the T100 MC w/o ABS when you do? Wasnt sure if internals and ports are the same.
[/QUOTE]
I have pulled the ABS and LSPV out now and installed the T100 master (non-abs) and a Wilwood manual proportioning valve.

I haven’t driven it yet as I am doing some other work at the same time, will report back after I have put some miles on the new master. I do think that the oem master works fine with this brake upgrade, my main reason for pulling the ABS out was to make room for an A2W expansion tank.
2C2C756A-E8B8-47CA-B9FA-84DC0908D36D.jpeg
06C8A480-ABBC-47A2-88FE-20BCFFFC296C.jpeg
BFA62482-F930-4C0D-8D22-9D9BF7B241B1.jpeg

After doing the math, I ran over and picked up a T100 MC from @cruiseroutfit to slap in sometime later this week.

Thank you for a super informative thread!

I just ordered brand new 16" wheels for my 80 so I'm wedded to the stock caliper and rotor setup, but I was curious what the impact on pedal travel would be by just swapping to a T100MC on an otherwise stock 80 brake setup? My objective is reducing pedal travel. A cheap fix I was considering was 100 series pads (as they're thicker v stock 80), but was wondering if the T100 MC would help as well? Also, is it possible to swap over the stock 80 reservoir to the T100 MC?

Last edited:
Thank you for a super informative thread!

I just ordered brand new 16" wheels for my 80 so I'm wedded to the stock caliper and rotor setup, but I was curious what the impact on pedal travel would be by just swapping to a T100MC on an otherwise stock 80 brake setup? My objective is reducing pedal travel. A cheap fix I was considering was 100 series pads (as they're thicker v stock 80), but was wondering if the T100 MC would help as well? Also, is it possible to swap over the stock 80 reservoir to the T100 MC?
The ideal setup is to match your master and calipers to the OEM ratio as best you can. You could replace the 80 mster with a T100, but unless you are going to larger bore calipers it makes little sense to me.

May 5, 2020
HDJdreams said:

The 200/Tundra calipers mount very differently, while the 4runner calipers bolt right to the factory 80 knuckles.

There is not enough room in the 4runner caliper to allow the larger 14"-ish rotors to fit, so they aren't really an option at all.

Are the tundra rotors similar in dimensions to the 200 other than the diameter being near 14”? If so what about the Brembo gen 5 4Runner calipers matched with the t100 booster conversion? They seem to be using a 14” rotor.

LUVMY804EVR said:
Are the tundra rotors similar in dimensions to the 200 other than the diameter being near 14”? If so what about the Brembo gen 5 4Runner calipers matched with the t100 booster conversion? They seem to be using a 14” rotor.

Yes, Tundra are similar with larger OD.
Those Brembo calipers MIGHT work, but I see two big initial problems:
First, the Brembo rotor is only 1.1" thick, so there's not as much space in the caliper for pads.
Second, they state "min. Wheel size 18"". I know there are Tundras that run 17's so it's possible, but I have 18's on my 100 that has Tundra rotors and there is not much room to spare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom