I hate that Bench seat!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My fj-40 has a bench seat, and i have no room to put my stuff other than the glove apartment. I'm trying to brainstorm ideas on how to resolve this problem and i was wondering if it is at all possible to take out my bench seat, cut it in half, re-cover the seat with more pleather and keep the seats same frame and put a console in? Or if that would not work do you guys have anymore suggestions, although i would love a console but i dont want to buy new seats.

Thanks and sorry if this was at all confusing

-Peter

Yogurt said:
My fj-40 has a bench seat, and i have no room to put my stuff other than the glove apartment. I'm trying to brainstorm ideas on how to resolve this problem and i was wondering if it is at all possible to take out my bench seat, cut it in half, re-cover the seat with more pleather and keep the seats same frame and put a console in? Or if that would not work do you guys have anymore suggestions, although i would love a console but i dont want to buy new seats.

Thanks and sorry if this was at all confusing

-Peter

I think that the work you are thinking about doing would be far more involved than purchasing a couple seats from a wrecker, making a couple new seat frames and making a mount for a Tuffy center console or similar lockable storage box....but that is just me.

I do not know how you are going to cut the seat spring assembly and not have a sharp edge trying to poke through your new pleather cover... ;)

Good luck!

-Steve

my first cruiser, i mounted supra seats on the bench frame with a custom oak console

gotcha ;) , well i looked on tuffy's site and i found this:

048_detail.jpg

048_solo.jpg

Do you think that would be in the way? :confused:

Bench Seats $

Not sure, but those old bench seats may be work some $ to someone on ebay. I would check into it before hacking.

I got some seats from my nabors volvo, before it went to ecology. I used the back brakets, after choping the two tall ones down, added new nuts and backings for the center so I could still put in stock set up, and fit in center stero box, and made the front from the existing bars, and a tube bar. Bit of work, but cost about $5. And they recline all the way back for a snooz.

It sounds like you really don't want to buy new seats..... but i agree what poser said, thats much more work than buying new seats. And if you buy that overhead console than it would be a waste if you took the top off.

Good luck

Yogurt said:
gotcha ;) , well i looked on tuffy's site and i found this:

048_detail.jpg

048_solo.jpg

Do you think that would be in the way? :confused:
don't do it!!! i got that and hate it. major rattle trap and not so great design. not supposed to drive with compartments open, they fall down if not locked, can't get normal cb in there and still have mike routed out the bottom...waste of $

I think I have a couple of bench seat sets tucked away in a storage building that have already been cut to do exactly what you are suggesting. I think one of them has a bare bottom on the 'center' section, the other a wooden console with a speaker in it.

If you're interested, you can call the shop to follow up.

Best

Mark A.

as far as a place for "stuff" goes:

in my truck, the CD stereo is mounted under the bench (has the added benefit that it does not jump while wheeling)

other "stuff" goes into a knapsack behind the driver seat, or as far as tools and parts are concerned, they are in plastic boxes under and behind the rear bench.

disclaimer: my truck is garaged overnight, so I am not as concerned about theft of articles.

I love our bench seat. I added an overhead tray for the
audio equipment. I think my dog would dis-own me
if I took that bench seat out.
Once, when I was hauling a crowd to an event, a lady
slid into the seat and her friend climbed up front as well.
When I fired the truck up and reached for that floor shift
I explained to her that I didn't think I knew her well
enough to engage first gear. :grinpimp:
She laughed and said do what ya gotta do. I did.
Bench seats...making intimate friends via that shift to first. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom