I finally get the shop I have wanted for too long (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So cool………. Spend much time in your house anymore? ☺️

Looks like you’ll have a long term project going on…. Do you ever have anyone else to help or an extra set of hands in there or are you going at this alone
It’s usually just me Al.

@Michael B That is also what takes me so long lately. It would be great to have some other lifting tools for bulky things. A friend sold his business and wanted to give me a fork lift. At the time, I only had stone roads and dirt. That would have been crazy. 4 years later that would be terrific. I have not yet done this BUT, I have had a few visions of chaining up some things to the runways on the 4 post lift and since it is on 10’ posts, possibly lifting from the 6’ level, bring the runways to 8 or 9’ and rolling the other stuff out from under the lift….then lower it all to the floor.

Just a dream right now but it think it has potential…IF things like that are ever needed. Although at this age I need to limit projects to more manageable types…even lifting the damn spare tire was a touch stressing 🤣

First thing this morning a fellow cruiser head came over with his sons 2014 Silverado. It needed a starter, 45 mins later the job was done. I really like my lift!

Then I broke Samson out of his rack and went to the south end of town for a club “wrench” meeting. Then I came home and finished demolition of the rusty cab.

EF308220-86EC-47CB-9145-1A4CEBA82249.jpeg
EC75526C-6E23-425E-A95F-D979574A8F52.jpeg
0DAAF55E-A253-4680-B5FE-08E2CAFBC6A1.jpeg
1A31967E-63F0-46CE-B5BF-F850BBA5F512.jpeg
B5A7C2CB-2BC0-419C-8AFF-7B02A01A6FF2.jpeg

@Michael B that’s a lot of ambition and energy…. Nice work

I did some metal work in the shop today, getting ready to do some more metal work later on.

9E226091-4236-4B3A-8F2C-6D83A271CE99.jpeg
420549EC-BC99-4F50-92C8-2D553440132B.jpeg
C2FEA8F4-CF56-47CD-B053-5796B26448B5.jpeg
EFBD9286-7BE8-432A-AEF2-95C4AA214A30.jpeg

I had a busy day in the shop. This was definitely a QST day. There will be more pictures in my build thread for the GMC.

This was the beginning of my morning.

A919D662-04D6-4F23-825E-8F098A7ED912.jpeg

This was the end of the day.

97CD959A-473F-491F-AD7C-3AF987395A96.jpeg

Oh boy, my warm fuzzy is on full throttle... :cool:

@Michael B I have never used those dollies before in all of the years I played with cars…do they roll as easily as they say?

@Michael B I have never used those dollies before in all of the years I played with cars…do they roll as easily as they say?
Al these are an inexpensive set that work okay. They are not great with a lot of weight. But these are borrowed, so I’m not going to complain. Interestingly they do better side to side rather than straight 🤷🏻‍♂️ I have been told the expensive units work well. They have bigger casters.

I've got several sets of wheel dollies including a set like shown that were free with a car I bought. They work ok with light or stripped down vehicles but @Michael B is right that they don't work well with much weight on them. Bought a much more expensive set years ago and they are better but I still fight them when moving my 40 rolling chassis. Problem with all of them is the cheap casters they use. They have a mind of their own and resist changes in direction once you do get them rolling. Good casters are expensive and you're not getting them on cheap dollies or probably even the more expensive ones.

I get it… it’s like my 4 post lift. It has a set of cantilevered arms that press down on each post and it lifts it off the floor about 4”. The with these giant 6” poly casters you can move the lift anywhere you’d like. In the assembly video, with one-hand, it moves across the floor. Once moving I’m ok with it but I do need to lean into it to get started. You also need to say this magic word….”HUMMMMPF”

I have a decent set with good casters that I bought years ago. They work really nicely. Then I have HF set that do ok, but are mostly relegated to moving things other than vehicles around. As said, the caster quality just isn't that great and as the loads get heavier they complain more. You have to make sure the wheels are lined up to go in the direction you intend because trying to get them to turn initially under load is an issue. Once it is rolling, you can "steer" them to a certain extent, though.

A couple years ago I added a set of the HF self-loading dollies and have to say that they get the most use: 1300 lb. Capacity Self-Loading Positioning Wheel Dolly - https://www.harborfreight.com/material-handling/hand-trucks-carts-dollies/1300-lb-capacity-self-loading-positioning-wheel-dolly-64601.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom