I did it!! Picking up my 62 tomorrow. Have ?? though. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I feel so like a women on this sight. But!! Very excited about all the manliness that is coming out of all these answers. I bought a 90 FJ 62 outside of Orlando. Drove it back to Memphis with no problems. I have put two thousand miles on it, and all I have done is replace a little oil that is leaking out, and both cat converters. I am going to heed earlier advice and order LC Manual from Toyota, and start my tune up process. This sight is going to be a tremendous tool as I look to restore this beauty.

I feel so like a women on this sight. But!! Very excited about all the manliness that is coming out of all these answers. I bought a 90 FJ 62 outside of Orlando. Drove it back to Memphis with no problems. I have put two thousand miles on it, and all I have done is replace a little oil that is leaking out, and both cat converters. I am going to heed earlier advice and order LC Manual from Toyota, and start my tune up process. This sight is going to be a tremendous tool as I look to restore this beauty.

Nice, I'm in Cordova. There is a small group of cruiser heads in town. Let us know if you want to do any work on your truck etc.

Congrats on your purchase.

I finally scrounged up the 1000.00 and am picking up my new 89 FJ62 tomorrow. :) Where do I go from here? It has 204k on it, runs, few dents, a little rust here and there.
1. It takes a few cranks before it starts and then needs a little gas before it comes up to idle. It did sit for a year with the gas tank off. Is this normal? I doubt it, but what should I look at first? I plan on replacing the plugs, etc.
2. What do you guys do when your chrome handles seize up/or don't go back down. I had this problem on my 60's and could never fix it.
3. What's up with the two cats? What kind of money am I looking at for replacement? Is there any way to bipass the need for the cats?
4. Got it up to about 60 MPH then hit a 25 degree hill and dropped about 20 MPH over a 1/4 mile. Is this normal, to lose power like this? What can I do/ look at to try to remedy this?
5. What is the purpose of the throttle? Is it similar to the choke on a 60?
6. There is a leak of somesort at the rear brake drum. What is this?

Thanks and I am sure I will have more questions as I get to know this LC better. It is a lot different than a 60.
Getto
congrats on the purchase... get used to being broke cause every dime you earn or dream of earning will sink int to this addiction:grinpimp:

I am curious to know if getto still has the wagon since this thread is 4 years old...

New FJ-62 Owner

Just picked up an '88 62 for $1800.00, runs ok needs exhaust work. Looking for advice on small rust spots in the classic areas on lower front quarter panels. Anyone have a suggestion on going straight to replacement panels over a body shop repair job? Thanks.

First of all... welcome. Second - If this is your first 60/62, I would say you have not driven it enough to know what to do with it yet. Take some time and get to know her - My guess is cosmetics will be down the list a bit. All posts above apply to almost any new purchase of a 20-30 year old cruiser. That all being said... Let's see how bad the rust is. (Pics)

drum leak: if it is on the right side , the rear diff vent is also located on the rt. side ... I thought I had a brake fluid leak there too ... but upon further investigation it was gear lube burping out of the rear diff vent .... just a heads up..

jc whitney and places have these sacrificial anodes-you wire it up and it rusts a little piece of metal instead of your cruiser, its definitely helped ours here in utah

Good evening

I just bought a 1990 FJ62. All the engine wires are very damaged… I would like to buy the complete engine harness (I do not know where to buy it, part numbers, etc). I would really appreciate if someone could help me with that.

Regards

Good evening

I just bought a 1990 FJ62. All the engine wires are very damaged… I would like to buy the complete engine harness (I do not know where to buy it, part numbers, etc). I would really appreciate if someone could help me with that.

Regards
Welcome aboard.

I'd suggest starting your own thread (instead of replying in a very old post about a specific unrelated personal need) after you've read through some of the FAQ's stickied to the top of the 60 series section and done a few keyword searches.

Trying to find a FSM for my new to me 1990 FJ62... does anyone know if the Bishko versions are the same thing?
Manual.jpg

$1000 FJ60s/62s dem were the days!!!!!

Congratulations. You have a sweet rig and you're going to love it. First of all, you need to join the 3FE list and peruse the accumulated knowledge on the 3FE website. Go to http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/3FE/, go to the files section, read the introductory welcome message, then start reading all of the stuff in the fixes/lessons learned folder. Send a message to the list introducing yourself and feel free to ask lots of questions - we are very friendly there. Search the 3FE archives at http://www.birfield.com/archives/ for specific questions.

You MUST buy a Toyota Factory Service Manual. Get the 1989 or 1990 Land Cruiser manual. About $67 plus shipping directly from Toyota Publications, 800-622-2033. The best spent $70 you will ever spend on your Cruiser. Other manuals (Haynes, Chiltons, etc) are crap in comparison.

Some answers to your questions.

1.If the tank was off, the fuel pump was probably replaced. the most common reason for pump failure is fuel pressure regulator failure. You need to do a general tune up - change all the fluids (oil, coolant, ATF, transfer oil, diff oil, replace plugs, plug wires, dist cap, rotor, air filter, oil filter, adjust timing, adjust valves, run some injector cleaner, then re-evaluate. Strongly consider replacing the FPR and removing and cleaning out the intake plenum and throttle body.

2. don't know - clean and lube I guess.

3. search the archives here and on the 3FE list about the consensus exhaust upgrade plan, basically: custom wtih single cat, 2.25 - 2.5" pipe, cheap muffler, straight back, all tucked up high. Avoid Midas/Meineke/etc.

4. Normal. Do the stuff in #1 first.

5. it's a hand throttle for use with a PTO - it's the appendix of the US spec FJ62, appicable only to non-US trucks that had PTO's

6. Leak at brake drum = brake cylinder or brake line leak. Find the leak and replace it now. This is a safety issue.
This post just answered literally all of my same questions. I just scored a 89 with the 3FE 137k!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom