I am looking at a 85 4Runner tomorrow what should I look for? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking at a 85 4Runner 4X4 with a 22RE tomorrow what should I look for that isn't obvious?
Where do they rust first?
Does anyone make aftermarket bumpers and body armor for them anymore?
Its missing the front bumper and appears faded but little to no rust in the images.
With the stock engine can they do 75mph on the freeway?
I have never owned a 4 banger so not sure I can stand that???
Thanks PG

The same thing we just told this fella:
looking at 93 2WD to buy tomorrow

Aside from that ... anything 4WD. Also, check the front knuckles and see how much they are leaking ... or crusty. Rear wheel wells rust on the 4Runners. Sliders from several folks. Bumpers? I have no idea any more. Probably some pre-runner style bumpers out there (AllPro and Marlin come to mind).

75? :rofl: Funny man. Down hill with a tail wind, maybe. :D You just learn to suck it up and live with it.

You just need to realize that the 85 4Runner was the holy grail of 4Runners. You own it, and drive it, because you know what it is.

IMGP8188.JPG

Last edited:
My FJ40 would do 75 dang it. OK maybe drop a V8 in it? Hahaha

Since speed seems to be a requirement, my suggestion is buy a 1996+ with a V6.

My 2FE powered FJ40 pulls to 80 and wants to keep going ... but it's scary as chit.

I see images of people putting 33" & 35" tires on them how can they not do 75 with regular tires? s*** s*** s***.

I see images of people putting 33" & 35" tires on them how can they not do 75 with regular tires? s*** s*** s***.

Wow! Look at this truck with big tires - do you think it will go 75?

4d145f42a2655a7fc9934c9c1de35e40.jpg

If you want speed, get a sedan. :steer:

I was kind of kidding but I dont consider 75 exactly high speed.
Seems like that engine would be taxed by adding larger tires.
PG

OK I am passing on this I want a newer but still convertible with a V6 and have located a good prospect for me. Here is a link if someone wants this 85 its listed at 4K.

Search

Adding bigger tires does tax the engine, but it adds gear ratio, so 75 is done at a lower RPM. It'll do 75, eventually, but it's not happy with hills. You'll have to downshift to maintain speed with 31s. bigger tires may require 3rd gear to stay above 65.
31s are good with no lift. 33s and 35s require lift.
22re is a slow ass pig and one of the most reliable engines on the planet. They do need to keep the timing chains maintained.
A 3rz swap is doable for more power. Couple of grand and a 4/5 banana job. I'm in the middle of one.
They rust on the floorboards, particularly the drivers, the wheel arches, and the fronts of the rear inner wheel wells.
Bumpers are cheap. $25 on Rock Auto. Lots of parts are cheap on that site, and some are still available at decent prices from Toyota. Some stuff is unobtainable, like the cold start injector timer.

Last edited:
OK I am passing on this I want a newer but still convertible with a V6 and have located a good prospect for me. Here is a link if someone wants this 85 its listed at 4K.

Search
Buy the 85. Drop in a 5VZFE. It's been done.

Way tougher to drop in the 3.4 than the 2.7 if the truck came with the 22Re.
Very true. But I suspect the 2.7 won't be enough engine for him.

There sure are a lot of them still on the road. Lower HP and worse MPG than the next generation V6 though.
But, as folks have noted elsewhere ... the 3RZ is about as powerful as the 3.slow.

OK I am passing on this I want a newer but still convertible with a V6 and have located a good prospect for me. Here is a link if someone wants this 85 its listed at 4K...

They're not much newer, if still a convertible top. Those would be the 86-89's. Lots more to choose from though, so I think this is a good move. The IFS is just fine for most use. Although the V-6 isn't very powerful, the extra HP over the 22RE is noticeable and really helps move the wagons. Try to avoid an automatic. I guess they were pretty rare in those years.

And my old 400ci 1968 Firebird would do 125mph. Stopping was another issue. :woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom