I am looking at a 85 4Runner tomorrow what should I look for? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The ARB front bumper is still available for the 85.

DSCN0888.JPG

My truck will do 75 on flats and no head wind. I don't usually drive that fast though. I'm usually around 65 to 70 mainly to keep rpms and the noise level down a little. I do have to downshift if climbing any sort of hill unless I get a good running start and the hill isn't too long. I have 31s and 4.56 gears so I feel the sweet spot is around 65.

Adding bigger tires does tax the engine, but it adds gear ratio, so 75 is done at a lower RPM. It'll do 75, eventually, but it's not happy with hills. You'll have to downshift to maintain speed with 31s. bigger tires may require 3rd gear to stay above 65.
31s are good with no lift. 33s and 35s require lift.
22re is a slow ass pig and one of the most reliable engines on the planet. They do need to keep the timing chains maintained.
A 3rz swap is doable for more power. Couple of grand and a 4/5 banana job. I'm in the middle of one.
They rust on the floorboards, particularly the drivers, the wheel arches, and the fronts of the rear inner wheel wells.
Bumpers are cheap. $25 on Rock Auto. Lots of parts are cheap on that site, and some are still available at decent prices from Toyota. Some stuff is unobtainable, like the cold start injector timer.

Bumper for 25 bucks..... I don't believe this!!! Must be a filler rather then a actually mental bumper. I need proof because I need a rear bumper for my 4runner.

Last edited:
Gumby - I kinda like my s***ty nearly falling off chrome bumper - Below you will find a perfect example of what i am talking about

IMG_2453.jpg

I was kind of kidding but I dont consider 75 exactly high speed.
Seems like that engine would be taxed by adding larger tires.

A thirty plus year old 4x4 with a little 2.4L engine just isn’t meant for speed. Sure, you can build it into something that will do it, but there are better starting points if that is what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom