HZJ73 AC Compressor not building pressure (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought this cruiser with a Turbo kit installed, and the AC lines never installed or rerouted. So I just finished hooking up the new hoses, installed a new drier, and added some oil to the suction side of the compressor. When I tried to run the compressor, the clutch was not kicking on when turned on. Fuse is good, so I hot wired it to attempt to charge the system. Pulled a vacuum, but both high and low sides stayed consistent with pressure. Should I look at maybe rebuilding this compressor or maybe I'm missing something here?

Compressor.jpg

Does your compressor clutch engage when you jumper it straight to the battery positive?

Just looking at your photo, you have an obvious leak leading to moisture visible at the fitting and the allen bolt. I have the same situation. I've been told this is a matter of replacing internal gaskets and O-rings. These are available from Radd Cruisers. A/C O-ring seal kit for Japanese vehicles - https://radd-cruisers.shoplightspeed.com/ac-o-ring-seal-kit-for-japanese-vehicles.html

That being said, it may not be that simple, and cracking into the compressor worries me. But your system isn't going to work with that leak, not for long anyway.

Edit: well, they're out of stock - I must have gotten the last set. Anyway, that's a good place to start.

Last edited:
Just checking, did you spin the ring that surrounds the fan switch? That's how you engage the compressor and set the temp.
So I hotwired the voltage for the clutch and got it spinning, but couldn't get pressure to build. I'm not too certain what you meaning by the fan switch. Good to hear from you again, small world lol.

He means the fan setting switch in the dash.
Encircling that switch is the ac thermostat.
That ring must be rotated clockwise to activate the compressor’s clutch.

He means the fan setting switch in the dash.
Encircling that switch is the ac thermostat.
That ring must be rotated clockwise to activate the compressor’s clutch.
ya I turned the AC on at that switch and still no voltage to the compressor clutch. Checked the fuse for AC and have voltage to both sides as well. pretty odd

Did you locate the ac amplifier?
If there is zero or low pressure in the system, the ac amp won’t send current to the clutch.

@jblueridge beat me to this suggestion that the system won't engage if there is no charge to save the compressor from burning out. All great suggestions here tho. Even at the low end of the pressure scale you would get the compressor to run, it just wouldn't be all that cold.

I do not recall the numbers for refrigerant and oil, but if your vacuum test was good, throw a charge in it and then test again. I believe the numbers are posted somewhere here on mud. Best of luck, :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom