Hurricane Creek Ride, June 2-4 2017 with ONSC and LCLC clubs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JToobe

SILVER Star
Threads
@GLTHFJ60 and @Beau Diddly have both posted up on their clubs sites so time for me to get this up!

We talked about having a ride with up to 6 vehicles from each club and coordinate camping and dining together!

This is an Expo style trip in which self-reliance is the subject: Limited/no bathrooms, no gas stops, no showers, no guaranteed camping sites as we will be miles from paved roads. You can expect miles of US Forestry Service roads, short mountain hikes, scenic views, refreshing mountain streams, cool nights spent around a campfire and maybe a bear or two. Expectations are that any Toyota with 4WD will do fine on the terrain we'll be covering. (Read here: You don't need lockers, a lift, mud tires, etc.)

As far as equipment, gear, etc., those attending will coordinate so we don't have more than 2 of most things (campstoves, etc) and yet ensure we have firewood, tarps, rope, saws, shovels, potable water, etc. At a minimum, an attendee would need a lightweight sleeping bag, tent, cooler and $ to put towards group meals.

Details will be ironed out in the near future but plans will include the ever-popular group meals. Click HERE to see the thread and photos from a ride two years ago and HERE for last year's trip.

The trip will be limited to 6 paid Upstate Cruiser member trucks. The format is a little different this year in that we will be heading up there with both ONSC (Olde North State Cruisers) and LCLC (Low Country Land Cruisers), so each group is limited to 6 trucks to make sure there's space to camp. We require that attendees have an active UC membership before signing up to give our contributing club members a fair shot, given the fact that these trips are extremely popular and that they are official events. PM me with any questions or clarifications needed.Tentatively, we'll meet around 11:00-12:00 at the Sierra Nevada brewery in Asheville for lunch Friday, then to our campsite (40-50 miles), just off of I-40 on the NC/TN line. To ensure we get the campsite, we want to leave a bit earlier than in past years. The trails aren't too hard, even the stock trucks made it with no problem, and 1 or 2 water crossings. Someone's hitch-haul did drag on departure. The campsites had restroom facilities, campsite cost was nominal, maybe $10 in the kiosk, honor system. The tent sites are about 20-30 yards apart offering some privacy. Most of the driving will be on gravel roads, going to waterfalls and other scenic hikes. The hikes are short and small children can manage it. As of now, we'll do something like on-your-own breakfast and lunch, group supper. Pets are also welcome. We'll probably leave early PM Sunday.

1. Jeff Taylor @JToobe
Chad Ploof @CP in SC
1. Chris Eby @ceby
2. Toby Grove @Tincan93
3. Bryan Ray @Bryanseye
4. Marshall Shepherd @Trollhole (Tentative)
5. Joshua Hadden @JhadT
6. Steve Eby @aquatech3

Wait List:
1. Joshua Wyant @Twinair

Last edited:
@GLTHFJ60 and @Beau Diddly have both posted up on their clubs sites so time for me to get this up!

We talked about having a ride with up to 6 vehicles from each club and coordinate camping and dining together!

This is an Expo style trip in which self-reliance is the subject: Limited/no bathrooms, no gas stops, no showers, no guaranteed camping sites as we will be miles from paved roads. You can expect miles of US Forestry Service roads, short mountain hikes, scenic views, refreshing mountain streams, cool nights spent around a campfire and maybe a bear or two. Expectations are that any Toyota with 4WD will do fine on the terrain we'll be covering. (Read here: You don't need lockers, a lift, mud tires, etc.)

As far as equipment, gear, etc., those attending will coordinate so we don't have more than 2 of most things (campstoves, etc) and yet ensure we have firewood, tarps, rope, saws, shovels, potable water, etc. At a minimum, an attendee would need a lightweight sleeping bag, tent, cooler and $ to put towards group meals.

Details will be ironed out in the near future but plans will include the ever-popular group meals. Click HERE to see the thread and photos from a ride two years ago and HERE for last year's trip.

The trip will be limited to 6 paid Upstate Cruiser member trucks. The format is a little different this year in that we will be heading up there with both ONSC (Olde North State Cruisers) and LCLC (Low Country Land Cruisers), so each group is limited to 6 trucks to make sure there's space to camp. We require that attendees have an active UC membership before signing up to give our contributing club members a fair shot, given the fact that these trips are extremely popular and that they are official events. PM me with any questions or clarifications needed.Tentatively, we'll meet around 11:00-12:00 at the Sierra Nevada brewery in Asheville for lunch Friday, then to our campsite (40-50 miles), just off of I-40 on the NC/TN line. To ensure we get the campsite, we want to leave a bit earlier than in past years. The trails aren't too hard, even the stock trucks made it with no problem, and 1 or 2 water crossings. Someone's hitch-haul did drag on departure. The campsites had restroom facilities, campsite cost was nominal, maybe $10 in the kiosk, honor system. The tent sites are about 20-30 yards apart offering some privacy. Most of the driving will be on gravel roads, going to waterfalls and other scenic hikes. The hikes are short and small children can manage it. As of now, we'll do something like on-your-own breakfast and lunch, group supper. Pets are also welcome. We'll probably leave early PM Sunday.

1. Jeff Taylor @JToobe

Wait List:
I'm in

I'm in. Last time I did Hurricane Creek was six years ago in a stock Grand Cherokee. lol.

Well that filled up fast! Had lunch with Marshall and he asked to reserve a spot but is tentative with Relic Run being the following week and GSMTR and Spring Tide Run taking place in May.....will start the wait list!

Maybe Rob can ride with me if he wants to go or I can ride with him.

Alright, so let me sort this out.... @JhadT asked me about getting the spot vacated by Chad at the Cars & Coffee so he gets Chad's spot, my bad for not posting that up sooner...but it appears that LCLC is not going to fill up their spots and Steve, you are a member of LCLC I believe...if not, I am and will take one of their spots and you will be in with Upstate....so bottom line, you should have a spot!
Problem #2 is that I am not sure what I will be taking!

Alright, so let me sort this out.... @JhadT asked me about getting the spot vacated by Chad at the Cars & Coffee so he gets Chad's spot, my bad for not posting that up sooner...but it appears that LCLC is not going to fill up their spots and Steve, you are a member of LCLC I believe...if not, I am and will take one of their spots and you will be in with Upstate....so bottom line, you should have a spot!
Problem #2 is that I am not sure what I will be taking!

You should bring your 62.

Yes, we do need to firm up details and unfortunately I have to back out due to some family plans that need to take priority to honor my youngest who graduates from Wade Hampton Thursday. @Twinair, that leaves an open spot for you but someone needs to be the group leader! Several of you have done this trip before such as @ceby, @aquatech3 and @Trollhole come to mind and I believe, @Tincan93, you said you had done it in a Wrangler or Cherokee?? Typcially we have met at Sierra Nevada for lunch on Friday and then convoyed to the rest stop that is a couple of miles from the turnout to tighten the group up and last bathroom stop.
Recommend everyone has a HAM handheld, you can get them on Amazon for like $25 (Baofeng) and if you don't, someone can borrow mine.
Bring swimming trunks for Wolf Creek Falls and also there is water in Martha Sundquist.

Yes, we do need to firm up details and unfortunately I have to back out due to some family plans that need to take priority to honor my youngest who graduates from Wade Hampton Thursday. @Twinair, that leaves an open spot for you but someone needs to be the group leader! Several of you have done this trip before such as @ceby, @aquatech3 and @Trollhole come to mind and I believe, @Tincan93, you said you had done it in a Wrangler or Cherokee?? Typcially we have met at Sierra Nevada for lunch on Friday and then convoyed to the rest stop that is a couple of miles from the turnout to tighten the group up and last bathroom stop.
Recommend everyone has a HAM handheld, you can get them on Amazon for like $25 (Baofeng) and if you don't, someone can borrow mine.
Bring swimming trunks for Wolf Creek Falls and also there is water in Martha Sundquist.
@GLTHFJ60 was a good convoy commander last time. Maybe he's up for it again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom