How's your 100 Series Body Lift? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Has anyone here replaced body mount bushings at the same time as putting in the pucks? Is it worth doing? I just got the 1” kit from trail tailor and I’m wondering if I should replace some rubber while I’m under there.

Anyone tried trail tailors kit yet?

I have the 1" from TT, but it's just sitting on my shelf. Fine looking parts, but I still need to stop being lazy about it. I keep putting it off so I don't have to remove the rear drawers.

Edit: in planning this out—anything particular you want to see? I don't mind trying to document it, but I don't remember to do it unless I have some sort of checklist. I'm hoping to do it inside this month, but it won't be this weekend.

I have the 1" from TT, but it's just sitting on my shelf. Fine looking parts, but I still need to stop being lazy about it. I keep putting it off so I don't have to remove the rear drawers.

Edit: in planning this out—anything particular you want to see? I don't mind trying to document it, but I don't remember to do it unless I have some sort of checklist. I'm hoping to do it inside this month, but it won't be this weekend.

I’m really curious about the parts themselves. For the price and simplicity, I’m really temped to just fab my own...wondering if the fit and finish is worth it. I’d appreciate some up close pics of the parts with a ruler next to them if you could?

I’m really curious about the parts themselves. For the price and simplicity, I’m really temped to just fab my own...wondering if the fit and finish is worth it. I’d appreciate some up close pics of the parts with a ruler next to them if you could?

Yep, I can manage that. Headed back to red rock tomorrow and Sunday, but I'll have 'em for you Sunday night or Monday.

I have a bunch of TT stuff and the quality is great and he includes high quality bolts. It’s time vs money but you don’t have to question the TT quality.

Let me know if you need any help. I'm curious about the process and wouldn't mind seeing how it's done before I attempt it..

Let me know if you need any help. I'm curious about the process and wouldn't mind seeing how it's done before I attempt it..

You're more than welcome anytime. The hardest part I think will be working out where to do it—I'm trying to avoid doing it in the apartment parking lot (I'm right near the Gateway) and also trying to figure out what to do with the drawers in the meantime. I *hate* taking them out.

I have a bunch of TT stuff and the quality is great and he includes high quality bolts. It’s time vs money but you don’t have to question the TT quality.

Read a few threads and the consensus was "call this guy and give him some measurements". All of the other TT stuff I have is of the highest quality, so it was easier to buy than try to chase down a bunch of assorted parts. I'm not in a position to make my own.

@Somebodyelse5 pics in the next half hour. I'm a day late, sorry!

Reading back through, I totally forgot about the ruler.

And...I totally flaked. I got it done over the weekend as kind of a last-minute thing and completely forgot to even give you the heads-up. A friend left town for the weekend and let me use his garage, so I jumped at the chance to not be doing it out on the apartment's blacktop. I got the @TRAIL TAILOR 1" kit.

A few memorable things—some are sprinkled throughout on the various body lift threads, but I'll repeat anyway:

The rear-most mounts are not a ton of fun. They sit in a place that collects a lot of dirt (and for us, salt), so they were a pain to get loose.

A drawer system makes everything worse. I had to pull the drawers in order to be able to remove the quarter panel trim panels to get to the rearmost two body mounts.

AHC makes it difficult to find a good place on the body to lift from once everything is loose. Most of my AHC is gone, but I never could get the accumulator off the driver's side. More of a hassle than a showstopper.

Pork chop hands make the radiator brackets difficult. The PS was one of those 1/8-turn-at-a-time deals, and I had to remove the battery and tray to do the DS. If you have a group 31 or Slee tray, it'll have to come out anyway to be able to work the top mount for the radiator.

Ghost bolts in the LX—these two are pretty well documented. It's just two weird/random bolts just behind the seam in the second row carpet, where it meets the cargo mat. Nothing to replace them with (and they kind of don't connect anything anyway), so it was just a matter of pulling them and reinstalling the plastic covers.

I did not have to remove my seats, but I did have to move the buckets all the way forward to access two of the mounts. Those mounts are just an inch or two away from where the bucket seats mount in the rear, on the outside edge.

Putting it back together takes some wingspan.

It seems some need to adjust linkages, but everything turned out fine on mine. Steering, shifting, and the xfer lever are all fine and work as expected.

The ARB of course did not move, and I didn't have to do anything to the rear cover. It's flexible enough (and I've dragged it on enough rocks) to just go with the flow. I'm getting a BIOR bumper later in the summer to cover the gap, so I can kind of live with a couple of months of this looking stupid.

All told I spent a day and a half working by myself. It could be done in a day—I didn't work very quickly, and the drawers probably accounted for 2 hours of it.

What were your hub to fender measurements before the BL? Was there a specific reason (say, rubbing?) that prompted it?

I've been pondering a BL as well since I get a little scrubbing here and there over my 34s on big ruts. At 21.5" and 23" F/R currently.

What were your hub to fender measurements before the BL? Was there a specific reason (say, rubbing?) that prompted it?

I've been pondering a BL as well since I get a little scrubbing here and there over my 34s on big ruts. At 21.5" and 23" F/R currently.

The little bit of scrubbing drove me nuts as well, and a couple of times that I've come down hard off a ledge...didn't feel good. No damage yet though.

No idea on measurements off the top of my head. I'll measure today.

the one thing that puts me off the BL kits is the rear bumper droop

Yeah, it looks like hell. If I didn't already have a replacement in the works, I'd be looking now.

Stupid question... Assume an aftermarket would be fixed in one spot on the frame, and can't be adjusted to cover that cap, correct?

What is your plan for the gap?

Stupid question... Assume an aftermarket would be fixed in one spot on the frame, and can't be adjusted to cover that cap, correct?

What is your plan for the gap?

BIOR can/will make a custom rear that covers the gap. But your thinking is correct—there isn't any adjustability in it, just extra steel I think.

The stock front and rear bumpers can both be modified to sit flush with the body, it just takes some good old fashioned macgyver'ing. I did that when I first did my body lift. The rear was a little more complicated, I recall riveting a 1" bar of aluminum under the bumper cover to maintain the step.

I don't have my stockers anymore to take detailed pictures, but I do have some old glamour shots of the finished product.

Anyone want a body lift that was never installed. I have one sitting on my parts shelf but have sold the land cruiser awhile back. If anyone wants some drawers for the cargo area I have a set of them also that I’d love to get out of my garage.

Anyone want a body lift that was never installed. I have one sitting on my parts shelf but have sold the land cruiser awhile back. If anyone wants some drawers for the cargo area I have a set of them also that I’d love to get out of my garage.
I might be. Send me details of what you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom