How to remove Lexus Lx450 rear glass factory tint. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally I removed the factory tint from car. Thanks to citadel that helped on this topic. I can't find that exact thread.
I have sprayed Eagle One Chrome wheel cleaner on sponge and wiped it on the factory tint. Don't not spray it on the glass use a sponge because spray may splatter on other window glass tint that you don't want to remove tint from. I had to remove the brake stop light that is fairly easy to remove. But I won't recommend removing the brake stop light if you don't know how to remove it. Or else you may break the tabs. Which is hard to find.
I have also tried Eagle one aluminum cleaner but that don't remove tint. Now my next step is to tint the back glass using regular 3M 35% vlt tint. Tinting shops were asking from 100 to 125 $ for the back glass tint but I ordered all the stuff from eBay including tinting tools that I will need for installation of tint and all together it cost me 40$.
If your guys are going to tint the back glass yourself then try to look for 35 inch width tint, so in that case you don't have to install tint in two pieces.

20160306_124156_resized.jpg

20160306_124657_resized.jpg

IMG_1229.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for this information. Mine looks like yours prior to you detinting it and I was wondering what I could do. Did any harm come to the defrost heater threads across the window? Thanks!

Thanks for this information. Mine looks like yours prior to you detinting it and I was wondering what I could do. Did any harm come to the defrost heater threads across the window? Thanks!

No harm to defrost lines or glass or any plastic trim but use rubber gloves and safety glasses if your going to do this. The chemical in Eagle one Chrome cleaner is corrosive. So be careful using it. Once you clean the tint from the glass. Wash the glass with soapy water or clean it with windex glass cleaner.

you're welcome... :)

I am pretty certain my restoration thread detailed how to make this happen

OK I need some help on this. I have a 97 LX and the Eagle One did NOTHING to the bronze tint. I just got back from the local junk yard where I bought some gray mirrored tinted glass from a 95 LC and same thing NOTHING. Maybe Eagle One changed the formula?
Maybe I need to let it sit much much longer?

OK I need some help on this. I have a 97 LX and the Eagle One did NOTHING to the bronze tint. I just got back from the local junk yard where I bought some gray mirrored tinted glass from a 95 LC and same thing NOTHING. Maybe Eagle One changed the formula?
I used steam and everything peeled right off without leaving any residue. You can get a cheap steamer at walmart. Just don't steam a super cold window. It will break.

Use eagle chrome not eagle aluminum both has same kind of bottle. Make sure it's chrome.

I think people are confusing factory EDP tint that comes off with chrome cleaner (HF acid) --- and window tint film that in order to best save the defroster you use steamers, ammonia based window cleaner & then soap / water, etc.

If it's film, you can tell by cutting a line in the lower area / no defrost lines & remove a small bit to work in the ammonia & steamer.

If you can't cut a pulltab, you are going with HF acid & proper safety gear.
HF / Hydrofluoric acid is nasty stuff you'll regret if you buy any alternate form than premix chrome cleaner, and I cut teeth working in a sulfuric acid refinery.

SHOW IT RESPECT!

MSDS for standard chrome wheel cleaner solution:

Household Products Database - Health and Safety Information on Household Products

If you aren't familiar with stronger solution work practices or wearing safety goggles strikes you as a PITA, you might rather just get wheel cleaner % solution premixed. HF is wild acid not even big oil uses to manipulate hydrocarbons any longer. The EPA quit permitting HF units on refineries in the USA, quit some 20-25 yrs ago to give a timeline.

I commented prior in Citadel's thread, it bears repeating since real HF weakens best with calcium, and we know where our only 2 calcium sources are in the body.

Be careful to check what you actually get as well. I ordered the chrome cleaner on Amazon and they sent me the aluminum cleaner. I let them know and it was like they got caught doing something they knew was wrong. I imagine the aluminum cleaner is cheaper.

I thought the factory tint on the 80's was inside the actual glass and could not be removed?

I was told the LX450 is a EDP (guy works with buddy @ stereo shop, not a smoke blower type) -so then it has to be on a surface and add to that the glass is tempered, so you'd have to add the tint to the glass' surface (or tint like a brown glass beer bottle) otherwise to be in the glass you'd have a 'safety glass' type film sandwich. I can't claim a smashed glass but I've never heard we have safety glass anywhere but the windshield.

Also, the color on the LX450's & 40th AnnEd's appears more "smokey-bronze" compared to the standard issue tint of the '97 Landcruiser, with more a "silver-mirror" look - and from experience on my LX450 I'd bought with hatch glass discolored in streaks like a dog licked it, and around the defroster lines.

I even scratched a 3-4" line / mark where a box edge rubbed it for a few days as I drove around with it in back. I wiped the glass with new windex (less / no ammonia) & it did nothing to the 'dog lick streaks' or my wearmark from the box.

I'm nowhere near competent about factory methods of tint, but by all experience here it seems a coating on the inner surface. I could be flat wrong, but Citadel's 40th is pretty solid proof of that EDP (and all I know there is it's a vapor version of powdercoating, using a charge or ground - they coat Al & Ti for planes that way).

Photo Feb 23, 9 34 11 AM.jpg
Letting the Eagle One Chrome cleaner soak overnight did do SOME removal...paper towel had some gray/black residue. By no means did it do a complete removal of the mirrored tint.

Question..

My 95' have (of course) that ugly factory tint on every glass (except the front 3 ones)... kinda like bronze-silver looking.. Is called privacy glass i think (?)..

Will this remove it? I want to have all clear glass on my 80...

Or the lx450 tint is different?

Thanks!

This, I want to know this too. Right now :flipoff2:

I would love to strip that horrible tint off if possible. Mine is starting to come off around the rear defrost lines too which has me hoping it's possible to remove it all. I'll gladly buy a couple gallons of the mentioned chrome cleaner and go to town on it this weekend if it works.

Question..

My 95' have (of course) that ugly factory tint on every glass (except the front 3 ones)... kinda like bronze-silver looking.. Is called privacy glass i think (?)..

Will this remove it? I want to have all clear glass on my 80...

Or the lx450 tint is different?

Thanks!

I thought the factory tint on the 80's was inside the actual glass and could not be removed?
Lots of people thought that. It is not IN the glass, it is ON the inside surface of the glass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom