How To Find A Companion Connector - Electrical/Stereo/Nakamichi (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@PabloCruise Why are you trying to do this? Cut that 22pin connector off and never look back. You are not going to all the trouble of installing a head unit and then revert back to stock. Even if you did you could keep the cut off plug and mate it to the harness - but you wont.

@PabloCruise Why are you trying to do this? Cut that 22pin connector off and never look back. You are not going to all the trouble of installing a head unit and then revert back to stock. Even if you did you could keep the cut off plug and mate it to the harness - but you wont.

I know you are correct.
I have an interest (borderline disorder) with factory parts that let you swap stuff...

And now, in another exciting episode of "Nobody Cares Pablo!" we bring you the latest updates!

First, I did find a 90980-11503, from a dealer in Florida (more on that later). I placed an order, and the connector actually showed up. And, it actually fit with 90980-11502!

So then I thought it was time to get real and pull the radio and see if these connectors were worth the effort.

They were. The 11502 (F) fit right into the back of the Nakamichi stereo. The 11503 (M) fit right into the LX-470 wiring harness.

Victory! Well, not quite there yet, but close. Just need to mate my wires up with the Pioneer harness, and then plug right in.

Pictures later...

Just curious what is going to be the final outcome of finding the matching plugs,as far as stereo upgrades you think?

Well, a few years too late, but any one who hasn’t cut their factory harness can make a connector for after market stereo...

So here are some pictures...

90980-11502 is the female connector that is a clone of the connector the body harness uses to plug into the back of the Nakamichi. I wanted to order this and see if it was the connector for the stereo. Here in the second picture you can see it connecting at the back of the Nakamichi head unit:

18 Jun 2018 146.JPG
18 Jun 2018 153.JPG

90980-11503 - this was the tricky one!
This is THE connector to make a harness adapter for an aftermarket stereo.
The tricky part was that my local parts guy could not get this part # to pull up in his system. It came up as an invalid part #.
I really thought this was the connector, so I kept trying. I searched the part # and found a Toyota dealer in Florida offering it for sale, so I ordered it, and it showed up!
I mentioned this to my local parts guy and when I said "Florida", he said "Oh... SET!" then he told me how Toyota dealers in the South East region are special because back in the 50s, they banded together and gave Toyota some $ when they were in danger of going under. Ever since then they have been "special". I guess they get access to certian options before the rest of the US. He did not think to check with a SET dealer for this part #.
So if you want a 90980-11503, you probably have to get it from a SET dealer.

I tried this when it came in, it plugs right into the harness.

18 Jun 2018 147.JPG

The last thing you need are the male terminals for 11503 connector.

You can go with Toyota Repair Terminals - 82998-12410, or you can find a terminal from a supplier and crimp your own.

The Toyota repair terminals fit the connector body very well, and have 160mm of wire already crimped. They are not the most economical option.

If I were doing it again, I would order the 1.3mm male terminals here: Pin Terminals for Motorsport Connectors - Corsa Technic

18 Jun 2018 148.JPG
18 Jun 2018 150.JPG
18 Jun 2018 151.JPG
18 Jun 2018 152.JPG
18 Jun 2018 154.JPG

I think that wraps up this thread.

I found the connector I was after.

I will start a thread for a Nakamichi update in the '99 LX470.

Good work! I will be watching with great interest. Your time and effort will be invaluable to many us....going forward. Thank You for your efforts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom