How to bypass front heater in FJ60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Recently my FJ60 has started leaking coolant into the passenger side floor board inside the cab. Must be coming from the heater core which is a big job to replace since you have to take out the entire dash. My FJ60 is my daily driver during the warmer months and I don't want to have it ripped apart during the season. Since I don't use the heat I am considering bypassing it until this winter when I have time to take everything apart. May possible eliminate it altogether as I don't drive it in the winter.

What hoses do I need to cap off to bypass the front heater? I'm guessing the 2 going into the firewall in the photo below? Will this have effect on anything else on my truck by bypassing the heat here?
If I can remove the hoses to bypass the heat, I plan to flush it with water from a garden hose to prevent any more coolant from leaking on my carpeting.

Thanks for thelp.

IMG_1412.jpg

IMG_1414.jpg

IMG_1415.jpg

Hi All,

Recently my FJ60 has started leaking coolant into the passenger side floor board inside the cab. Must be coming from the heater core which is a big job to replace since you have to take out the entire dash. My FJ60 is my daily driver during the warmer months and I don't want to have it ripped apart during the season. Since I don't use the heat I am considering bypassing it until this winter when I have time to take everything apart. May possible eliminate it altogether as I don't drive it in the winter.

What hoses do I need to cap off to bypass the front heater? I'm guessing the 2 going into the firewall in the photo below? Will this have effect on anything else on my truck by bypassing the heat here?
If I can remove the hoses to bypass the heat, I plan to flush it with water from a garden hose to prevent any more coolant from leaking on my carpeting.

Thanks for thelp.

View attachment 3406079

View attachment 3406080

View attachment 3406081

oh this is VERY simple :)

- i keep all the OEM TOYOTA General Service parts instock to make this a eazy , yet 100% LIFE TIME , if intended mod or change :

u need qty x 4 rubber caps kits

qty x 1 metal yellow plug

(.11) - Copy (3).gif

1692554009727.png

1692553887712.png

1692553951630.png

1692553970367.png

1.1 Copy (8) - Copy - Copy.jpg.png

@ToyotaMatt

Thanks for your post. So where does the threaded piece go for deleting the front heater?
Are the rubber couplers you linked capped on the ends? I cant tell if they are plugs or if they are flow thru unions.

Or you can go to your local hardware store, get some 5/8 heater hose a few brass fittings and hose clamps, disconnect the factory supply and return lines either side of the heater core, splice in that new extra hose, wash your hands and finish your beer.

Or you can go to your local hardware store, get some 5/8 heater hose a few brass fittings and hose clamps, disconnect the factory supply and return lines either side of the heater core, splice in that new extra hose, wash your hands and finish your beer.

^^ This. All you need to do is look at the routing of the hoses and reroute the appropriate ones to eliminate the lines to and from the heater core. You can do this cheaply with parts from the parts store.

Here are a couple pics of what I did. Same situation. The years can just fly by once you get used to it. But defogging on rainy winter days can suck.

I capped the two hoses off the firewall with brass 5/8 fittings from Ace.

In the middle of the main heater hose (that now flies over the back of the head to the oil cooler) is an in-line sensor for an aftermarket digital temp gauge. Obviously not required.

On the manifold side, I capped the rear heater outlet on the cactus T. I liked keeping that tall fitting for the main hose bc it keeps the heater hose a little further away from the air rail and head.

BBE38404-DEDD-4A1E-BB15-8EC158A5C949.jpeg

5B458C4C-F2D7-4326-9030-B15BA36F9C42.jpeg

1C1345D3-119A-4A24-98A0-3764B2CEC48E.jpeg

For capping the heater core can you also get 5/8 vacuum caps from O'Reilly's/etc that'll work perfect. I think I've always just ran a loop of extra hose between the inlet and outlet, but most vehicles I've done it they were side by side so it was just a short loop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom