How to align suspension U bolts with bottom plate? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
charlesandhudson.com
I'm installing an OME heavy on my FJ62. Rust isn't an issue and everything came off ok. Got the leaf spring shackles and pins in and tightened down, but when I use the jack to compress the spring to line up the bottom plate to the U bolts, they are off. I was able to get one side to go through but the center pin won't line up. The other side I can't even get the ubolts to fit around the springs. It's off by about 1/2 inch.

Then I noticed the bump stop isn't lined up to the axle where it should be. Looks like the entire axle shifted forward a bit. I'm not sure how to get it aligned again so the bolts slide in smoothly and also get the axle lined back up properly underneath the bump stops.

I've got four jack stands and one floor jack. I've had the jack stands under the frame and also supporting the axle and different times.

I had to put the tires back for now and it's currently resting on the bumpstop on one side for sure.

Any help is appreciated before I call it a day and have it towed to the shop. Thanks.

have you got the spring(s) oriented around the right way around, have you measured and compared where the centre pin is against the spring(s) you removed?

to align the axle I use a ratchet tiedown strap to pull the axle forward or back to align it and locate it onto the spring centre pins

have you got the spring(s) oriented around the right way around, have you measured and compared where the centre pin is against the spring(s) you removed?

to align the axle I use a ratchet tiedown strap to pull the axle forward or back to align it and locate it onto the spring centre pins

thanks for the reply. Yes the arrow is pointing towards the fixed end. I didn't compare the center pin to the spring I removed.

When using the ratchet tie downs where do you attach the strap? Do you support the frame and axle with jackstands while cranking the tie down?

When using the ratchet tie downs where do you attach the strap? Do you support the frame and axle with jackstands while cranking the tie down?

pulling off the other axle is the easiest direction to pull from, if I have to pull the other direction I'll use my other vehicle and anchor the ratchet strap off that, Yep you'll need axle stands under the truck to support it

pulling off the other axle is the easiest direction to pull from, if I have to pull the other direction I'll use my other vehicle and anchor the ratchet strap off that, Yep you'll need axle stands under the truck to support it

Thanks for this. Never thought of that! I only place jack stands under the frame, not the axle? My floor jack will be compressing the leaf.

I used a pry bar to lever my front axle back 1/2 an inch

Also I didn't mention the U bolts on the drivers side spring don't slide over the sides of the leaf. The leaf is shifted to the left about 1/2 inch. How would I go about pushing the axle over? or should I loosen the spring pins and try to wiggle it over?

Everything about installing springs is about leverage. Long lever bars, (pipes) ratchet straps, block & tackle, hi-lift jack, Spanish windlass when in a pinch.... Anything to give you leverage to muscle those suckers around.

Springs should be installed in this order:

1. Frame hangar pin
  2. Axle connection with u-bolts
  3. Shackle last. Muscle that sucker in.

Suspension is best as a 2 man job. It shouldn't be hard to move axle over if everything is loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom