How do you get a lazy dog to unlazy himself? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm not sure if that is true, but I think a dog would rather live a shorter more fun life playing frisbee and stuff, than live a couple of years longer and but never get to play when he/she is young.

i don't have a dog, but a vet once told me that jumping for frisbees or keeping up with a mountain bike on a rough trail is very hard on a dog. they love it, but it ages them like playing professional football does for a human.

Dogs love to have their heads hang out of vehicle windows too, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea . . . unless you wish to accelerate vision problems for them. And dogs really really love to ride in the bed of pickup trucks, but that is one of the most stupid inhumane practices EVER. I'm with Semlin on this.

Dogs love to have their heads hang out of vehicle windows too, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea . . . unless you wish to accelerate vision problems for them. And dogs really really love to ride in the bed of pickup trucks, but that is one of the most stupid inhumane practices EVER. I'm with Semlin on this.
It is inhumane to let a dog ride in the back of a pick-up?
Really?

He is an awesome dog, and I want to do whatever I can to keep him healthy and happy.

Do you take him in to the vet twice a year?

At his age, that would be appropriate.

You should get a comprehensive check-up on him: comprehensive chemistry, CBC and T4 (thyroid) check. Simply getting hypothyroid would mean he has a little less lead in his pencil...

Good luck!

I never let my dog ride in the back of a pickup. Never! I lost a good dog once to that foolishness, never again. As far as the frisbee thing goes, I think certain breeds are more apt at it than others. My dog is an Aussie, but Border Collies are the same way. They are super tough animals, without the kind of hip and joint issues that many of the retriever breeds have. My buddy owns a cattle farm outside of Madison. He has a Blue Heeler. They are the same way. Chili has been kicked by a cow more times than John can count, yet he is 16 and still keeps on ticking. I think it is a combination of weight to size ratio, and strong breeding. These dogs are not for everyone, but if you want a smart, tough as nails dog, that will require a lot of excersise, get a herding dog.

.yep.

Really?

Bah. They say the same s*** about kids but mine love it.

Back in the day our p/u didn't even have windows on the camper. Roll around until it's time to puke and bang/scream until mom made dad pull over.

Do you take him in to the vet twice a year?

At his age, that would be appropriate.

You should get a comprehensive check-up on him: comprehensive chemistry, CBC and T4 (thyroid) check. Simply getting hypothyroid would mean he has a little less lead in his pencil...

Good luck!

I take him once a year. He has to wear a muzzle when he gets his shots. He is very particular about people poking and prodding him. He is super vain about his fur. Fxxx with is tail, and look out! He loves kids, but I always have to be on guard and tell the parents that he doesn't take kindly to fur pulling. So far, that has worked out fine. He knows he looks good and doesn't stand for people messing with his good looks. Like father, like son, I suppose...;)

I take him once a year. He has to wear a muzzle when he gets his shots. He is very particular about people poking and prodding him. He is super vain about his fur. Fxxx with is tail, and look out! He loves kids, but I always have to be on guard and tell the parents that he doesn't take kindly to fur pulling. So far, that has worked out fine. He knows he looks good and doesn't stand for people messing with his good looks. Like father, like son, I suppose...;)

Not sure what that means about any testing your vet may have done at your last check-up.

If you are concerned that something is wrong, schedule his next check-up and have them run the tests I mentioned above.

At age 9 or 10, semi-annual checks are appropriate.

What is your vet's diet recommendations for your dog?

Really?

In my job I see dogs falling out of truck beds and being run over/injured all the time. I believe it's the job of the human to be smarter than the dog and not imperil the dog. And I'm no animal rights activist by any stretch of the imagination.

Dogs that are in the beds of pickups or which are allowed to have their heads stick out into the wind are frequently plagued with eye problems from it. In addition to being struck by objects, the wind negates their ability to keep their eyes wetted and can cause serious problems. Ask your vet if you don't believe me.

In my job I see dogs falling out of truck beds and being run over/injured all the time. I believe it's the job of the human to be smarter than the dog and not imperil the dog. And I'm no animal rights activist by any stretch of the imagination.

Dogs that are in the beds of pickups or which are allowed to have their heads stick out into the wind are frequently plagued with eye problems from it. In addition to being struck by objects, the wind negates their ability to keep their eyes wetted and can cause serious problems. Ask your vet if you don't believe me.
I don't have a dog, or a pickup.
I see dogs in pickups all the time. Also dogs on flatbeds. This is Montana, everyone has a dog, everyone has a pickup.
I have always thought it looked unsafe, but I have never seen a dog fall out either.

I see dogs in pickups all the time. Also dogs on flatbeds. This is Montana, everyone has a dog, everyone has a pickup.
I have always thought it looked unsafe, but I have never seen a dog fall out either.

The laws of physics are the same in Montana as they are everywhere else on this planet. And I assure you, you're not the person that gets called when dogs get launched into the middle of the road causing an accident or worse.

Come on. You need to see the silver lining. I mean, it's not like your dog is a drunk relative or something.

The laws of physics are the same in Montana as they are everywhere else on this planet. And I assure you, you're not the person that gets called when dogs get launched into the middle of the road causing an accident or worse.
I assure you I am not called out to pick up dead dogs. I was merely stating that I personally see dogs in pickups every day. Several times every day. I have never seen one jump or fall out.
I don't see this as inhumane. If it is, then there are hundreds of inhumane dog owners around here.
Your experience is obviously different than mine. I can respect that.:beer:

pickups

When we were kids in the 60s we rode in the back and held on to the dog!

As far as the dog getting older a younger dog will pep them up but it will be for short periods or it might just annoy them depending on temperment

consider yourself luck my lab has spent his whole life resting up from sleeping!:lol::lol::lol:

I've been behind a dog that fell off a flat bed.
It was only going 30 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom