How Cheap Can I Do It (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok. So here it is. A real basket case. Paid just a few hundred bucks. Given the going prices for either stock or custom restored or rebuilt FJ40's, I figure it's worth a go. Its been rolled. Doors don't close. Doesn't Run. It's a challenge. '68 in beautiful red & pink camouflage patina. The project begins. Let's see how cheap we can do it. And I'm keepin' it, cuz I've always wanted an FJ40.

nice PTO, probably not to much if you take your time and do everything yourself..12k? depends on how far you'd want to go aswell

Convert it to a soft top... that will help with fitment issus
Frame bent?
Rebuild the head
New set of fenders
Engine rering and bearings
Tear it all the way down
Interior kit
New rubber n badges
Sand blast everything
Redo the axles
Patina and layers of paint may have saved the body from rust
Paint and body
Raptor the floors
15k and your gold...

I would put a soft top on and bolt in a good running fj60 2f / 4 speed which can be had cheap and drive it .

looks like a great start to me. 12-15k is doable as a nice DD if you do your own work. Post up more pics of the interior and engine.

Nice thing, where is the damage? I would buy that right away and other fools to I think.
Find people that will give you parts that they replace for maintenance, a worn 18mm brake disk is better than nothing, might go pretty far with old parts just do not pay for them.
Is the roof original fiberglass because any boat guy can repair that or just try it.
Because the other way is buy everything that is out of spec new :worms:
If it goes well buy new parts but first find the potential?

Hi, It will take twice as long and twice as much money as you think. First put it on a body alignment rack and use the measurements for straightning it in the Toyota repair manual. I suggest finding a shop that does trucks. Mike

Convert it to a soft top... that will help with fitment issus
Frame bent?
Rebuild the head
New set of fenders
Engine rering and bearings
Tear it all the way down
Interior kit
New rubber n badges
Sand blast everything
Redo the axles
Patina and layers of paint may have saved the body from rust
Paint and body
Raptor the floors
15k and your gold...
Soft top great idea...

I have experience with roll overs... That doesn't look like it was rolled hard enough to bend the frame. I went end over backwards twice followed by three barrel rolls down a mountain and the frame was fine. Same truck that I had laid on it' side twice and once end over forward
racing through a wash.
....I was young once
I drove it til it was parted out to build a competition rock crawler

The cost will depend 100% on you’re desires. Want a full resto... plan 20k+. DD with a soft top... $3000ish.

Really not enough info on what’s wrong with it, or your mechanical skills to determine the cost.

Honestly it can be as cheap or as expensive as you want.

I can't believe my luck. An hour and a half with an agricultural jack and a couple of 4x4's and the body is now dead straight. All the doors close and all line up just right. The roof is trashed, though. It's beyond repair. I want a hard top, so I'll need to find another roof. Amazingly, ALMOST NO RUST! The only rust I can find is the rear sill below the cargo doors. The body will need some serious hammerin' though. The left side took a beating when it rolled. The front fender is too crunched to straighten.

20130714_133450.jpg

20130714_172537.jpg

Well, here is my say, forget the money return and enjoy the journey of education and fun. I kind of think you our there and not out for a flip. I have done the same.

I did a rattle can resto on a 1966 40. I only really rebuilt what was needed and used alot of used parts and parts from my stash. It turned out well and is now my daily driver.
I only have about $6000 in it.

I wonder if that rattle can paint would come off with a rag saturated in paint thinner? Might be worth a try as that body is a long way away ($$$) from being ready to paint, and I'm not sure I would invest the $ into that rig it will require to get it to decent shape. See if the motor runs and go from there, if the motor is good there is no reason you cant make a DD or trail rig for less than 2-3K.

Get a mobile soda blast outfit to blast it for you. Then primer and paint. You could do all that for under 1k if you go cheap on paint and do it yourself. And you could do that in a weekend. It will come out half assed decent if you put some effort into it.

Get a mobile soda blast outfit to blast it for you.
Are you referring to a company or equipment? If latter, what’s the recommended stuff (compressor, tank, blaster, ...)? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom