Holy S#!T!! Dealer Negative Battery Cable....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
$145!!!!
Really?
WTF?

My negative cable will not tighten on post even with a post cap spacer.
All the aftermarket cables I have found have a much smaller gauge pigtail and instead if the pigtail having a ring connector, they have a crush connector.
Surely there is a cable with beefy enough pigtail for under $50.
Any body got a source?

Cheers!!

Just make you own ground cables - it's NOT rocket science. Toss the OEM battery lug/junk and get some 'military style' battery clamps while you're at it. I long ago replaced the ground cable from battery to block and battery to body.

cheers,
george.

Just make you own ground cables - it's NOT rocket science. Toss the OEM battery lug/junk and get some 'military style' battery clamps while you're at it. I long ago replaced the ground cable from battery to block and battery to body.

cheers,
george.
This exactly. Even if you don't want to do your own crimping you can get some welding cable, cut it to length and note the orientation of the lugs and most battery shops will crimp for you. Use adhesive lined heat shrink and they will be good for many years.

The military battery clamps are excellent, bought from Napa, great for big lugs on the big wires. Bought some of my cables custom made from: http://www.genuinedealz.com/
Very easy to order any gauge/length you need, high quality marine cable, I go with the heavy duty lugs and heavy heat shrink. Good service.
If you plan on needing more cables, say for a winch, and you want to be able to make your own, Geuinedealz will sell you the wire, lugs and heat shrink. I bought a hydraulic crimper and heat gun from HF - worked fine. Got complements on the wiring when I was at an auto battery electric shop.

hammer crimper, solder, propane torch, welding lead, lugs, heat shrink
???
profit

dontuse.jpg

IDK what they're selling but they're right. This kind of terminal is for r tards.

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/134

I'm a firm believer in the mil spec ones but even the crimp on kind are decent. I crimp and solder though. Or even marine. Just not these piles of junk.

I had some sheet lead at the house - scotchbrited the stuff 1st & some grease on it all, tightened down & squeezed out the extra grease - bam, done & now my fact terminals fit tight on the oddly small diameter posts of a Odessey battery.
20 mins & some lead that was bound for the lead smelter for downrigger balls anyhow & prob solved.

The military battery clamps are excellent, bought from Napa, great for big lugs on the big wires. Bought some of my cables custom made from: http://www.genuinedealz.com/
Very easy to order any gauge/length you need, high quality marine cable, I go with the heavy duty lugs and heavy heat shrink. Good service.
If you plan on needing more cables, say for a winch, and you want to be able to make your own, Geuinedealz will sell you the wire, lugs and heat shrink. I bought a hydraulic crimper and heat gun from HF - worked fine. Got complements on the wiring when I was at an auto battery electric shop.
This is really the best way. Just order exactly the length, gauge and terminal ends you need. Should be around $10. I also ordered a few smaller ones to replace other grounds. Then order a set of military terminals which are VERY nice as you connect other things to the battery.

I build my own cables and generally use 2/0 for the primary 3 cables, - motor, - chassis, + starter. I lived in the FL Keys for ten years and found that the environment ate things like battery cables. Basic theory is, give the elements as much to eat as you can, less service intervals. You can get solder lugs, like little solder pellets sized for the gauge wire you are using. 0' Reilly's has them.

10734205_857330354297857_3062532962084025277_n.jpg

This is a handy tool to have. Less than $20 at the local welding shop when I bought mine a few years back. Making your own cables is a handy option to have available. I'll also put in a good word for military style battery connectors.

CableAboutToBeLugged3.jpg

Lenco840SwedgeCrimper1.jpg

Quick question: what's the bolt size and thread at the connection of the battery ground cable to the 1FZ engine?
I'm about to make new cables, and seem to be unable to find that tidbit of info on the FSM or here...

$145!!!!
Really?
WTF?
Either Beno or my local dealer said that this was NLA for my 1994 (I'd never spend that stupid money anyway). My temporary fix is still going strong but now that I have the Milspec terminals on hand I might install them tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder!

cheers,
george.

Could you post a pic? Thanks.

@Fourrunner makes and sells cables. I bought a set that I haven't installed yet. They are super heavy and very well-made. Maybe send him a PM?

And FWIW I ordered mine at Oreilly auto because I wanted em quicker than amazon could do. They were maybe 10$ for both.

One last thought, + and - battery posts are different sizes therefore terminals are different sizes therefore don't get two of the same.

@Fourrunner makes and sells cables. I bought a set that I haven't installed yet. They are super heavy and very well-made. Maybe send him a PM?

THIS!
I got my set the other day and wow. They are very well made.
I'll be installing as soon as we get a little warmer and drier.
-Derek

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom