HJ60 clicking in glove box turning off vehicle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Now every time I turn in on it starts great, but then 10 seconds later there is a clicking from the glovebox area and it turns off.

I am stumped. I just had my glow plugs redone.... twice, because they kept burning out. So my mechanic put in a push button glow system that seemed to work.

Yesterday I got back after letting my HJ sit for a week around the freezing point. Used the glow system and it turned on great. I left it to warm up and came back to it being off. That's when it all started.

Thoughts?

It sounds like a gremlin trying to get out, open the glove box and try to locate the source of the clicking sound and while in there let the gremlin go.

I would say it's the oil pressure sensor shutting it off, IIRC the relays etc for the EDIC are around the glovebox area.

Firstly, verify with a mechanical gauge that you are getting oil pressure, and then, if you are, maybe the sensor is playing up.

Mine was doing it simply because the wire had come off the pressure sender and was touching the block. On the exhaust side of the motor there's 2 pressure senders, one large can style one for the oil pressure gauge (not all cars have this) and a smaller one for the low oil pressure engine shut off.

Edit Crap I was think 3B, not 2H. EDIC still works the same but senders aren't on the exhaust side.

Last edited:
Probably edic with water damage/rust.
Should have replaced it instead of the manual glow but for now remove the oil pressure check by cutting (unplugging) the switch cable and edic thinks it is fine.
low oil pressure makes switch ground to earth, bad edic makes edic think low oil pressure, or your oil pressure is really low and edic is correct in protecting the engine.
Oil pressure sensor is small below edic, not the big pressure sender to dash (so two oil pressure sensors in engine)
Also the big connectors near edic motor above brakelines curl are important to open, inspect, clean and re-attach 9search fo

my bj did exactly the same thing. never could trace what specifically caused it , it certainly wasn't anything to do with the oil pressure signal. in the end thought id just try swapping the edic control for a new one and all was good again. i'd be interested to know if you can find the exact fault as I kept the old edic control for now

regards

I'm finding that faulty grounds or should i say... well maintained grounds from bumper to bumper can easily avoid irradic behavior. An FSM chart is only as good as the ground it's seeking. My BJ60's are mechanically bullet proof, it's poor history of electrical maintenance that catches up with these western Canadian BJ's. I'll need to touch each ground before i'm convinced i won't have grounding issues. Work in progress and i'm glad to do it!!

Is the Fuel control relay in the passenger side kick panel? That controls the edic. Just to the right of the glove box. It is in the bj60. Unless its a right hand drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom