Hit and Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

chap79

Wheel. Break. Fix. Repeat.
SILVER Star
Threads
Driving into work this morning some idiot in a hurry hit me. It could have been so much worse given the scenario that went down. While driving down a narrow country road an impatient driver in a Nissan Altima tried to whip around me on a double yellow to pass and cut me off. They lost control and began to fishtail, then hit the right side embankment, got caught on my ARB (I thought the car was going to come over my hood he was so high up on the shoulder), but as I slammed on the brakes the other driver recovered on got it back on the road. They stopped about 100 ft ahead of me. I could barely make anything out through all the dust, but they walked around their car, pulled a branch out of the spoiler, got back in and TOOK OFF!!!

**%^@#*#@$&!!!!!

Police report and insurance claim filed. Let the fun begin...

So here's my damage.

IMG_3619.JPG
IMG_3621.JPG
IMG_3622.JPG

Last edited:
I think the ARB saved you 80,

Forgot to add that all this took place at about 50 MPH.

And I'm buying a dash cam. This is the second crazy accident I've had in a Cruiser. It looked like a scene from a Bourne movie.

Unbelievable - glad you are ok and the truck hasn't suffered too much. I take it a high speed chase was out of the question?! ;)

Dash cam is a good idea - I saw a lot of crazy stuff in CA during my 20 years there. Now I see people causing accidents by being too polite and not following the rules of the road (i.e. lets surprise all the traffic behind us by stopping in the middle of a 45 mph road to let someone take a left turn in front us who is supposed to simply wait for traffic to clear).

Grrrrrrr... That pisses me off. I can't believe people have the nerve to do that! I'm surprised adrenaline didn't just take over and start chasing the guy. I'm really sorry to see that...luckily you're OK but that hurts seeing your 80 damaged. Yuck.

Glad you're okay. This just lays testament to the ruggedness of the 80 series. I've owned three and been in accidents in two. Both other cars totaled, I just drove the 80s home with minimal damage. A little body work and you'll never even notice. Good luck...

Last time I heard of something similar to that happening it was to my brother after he and his family moved to Vallejo. He was in his Altima which he had bought off of me just prior to moving and someone did something very similar except he had a full tank of fuel and nowhere to be so he followed them until they ran out of gas and had the police on the phone. The driver was an unlicensed uninsured unregistered illegal. Time before that it was me returning a brand new xterra rental to the airport in San Diego after returning from leave. Douche canoe in a riced up integra didn't think I was going fast enough which I was doing 80, so he passed me, flipped the bird, cut me off clipping the bumper of my rental and then gunned it and ran into the back of a nice shiny new Mercedes with the little plastic dealer plates still in the license plate rim. Mind you that guy in the Benz was probably doing 85-90 and the integra totaled his Benz. The integra driver pulled over, got out and tried to make a run for it. I pulled over got out and tackled him and gave him a lesson in giving an apology and exchanging info. Same thing, unlicensed uninsured and unregistered illegal. He got arrested and I got a scalding from the cop for chasing him down and for teaching him some manners. Sorry to hear yet another story of a hit and run in California, pretty sure California is the reason insurance companies have coverage for hit and run and uninsured motorist lol. I hope that you come across them again and are able to get their plate and turn them in. I hope also that your cruiser gets repaired properly and quickly. Glad you're ok and that it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Yeah, definitely get a dash cam

It seems like everyday I'm uploading some ass hat on youtube :bang:

Here's an old hit and run video with two Altimas

One hit the the other, then took off.

I gave a little chase to get the plates and call it in, but when the dude blew a light to get away, I backed off :meh:

And here's another from a few weeks ago

Corolla driver lawyer'd up with bogus claims, but got a big surprise when I handed the other drivers involved a link to the video :rolleyes:

Looks good..... adds character! Glad your ok... next time stay on the throttle, and pile drive the idiot into a telephone pole!

@98 SNAKE EATER seems like a dash cam is a smart thing to have after watching those videos. I may have to invest in one myself. Can't count how many accidents I've witnessed this year. Which is funny because it's always been when I'm in Portland which is like oregons LA in a sense. And by Oregons LA I mean to say our most populated city.

Now that it is not the crack of dawn and I'm at home were I can assess the damage, here are some more pics. Obvious damage to the bumper. The front fender dented and pushed in, broken corner marker light, slight damage to the front corner of the hood, a rub mark on flare, some rubbing in the passenger door, and a broken side mirror. All cosmetic.

But given the age of the truck... :(

IMG_3623.JPG
IMG_3624.JPG
IMG_3627.JPG
IMG_3628.JPG

Last edited:
Last time I heard of something similar to that happening it was to my brother after he and his family moved to Vallejo. He was in his Altima which he had bought off of me just prior to moving and someone did something very similar except he had a full tank of fuel and nowhere to be so he followed them until they ran out of gas and had the police on the phone. The driver was an unlicensed uninsured unregistered illegal. Time before that it was me returning a brand new xterra rental to the airport in San Diego after returning from leave. Douche canoe in a riced up integra didn't think I was going fast enough which I was doing 80, so he passed me, flipped the bird, cut me off clipping the bumper of my rental and then gunned it and ran into the back of a nice shiny new Mercedes with the little plastic dealer plates still in the license plate rim. Mind you that guy in the Benz was probably doing 85-90 and the integra totaled his Benz. The integra driver pulled over, got out and tried to make a run for it. I pulled over got out and tackled him and gave him a lesson in giving an apology and exchanging info. Same thing, unlicensed uninsured and unregistered illegal. He got arrested and I got a scalding from the cop for chasing him down and for teaching him some manners. Sorry to hear yet another story of a hit and run in California, pretty sure California is the reason insurance companies have coverage for hit and run and uninsured motorist lol. I hope that you come across them again and are able to get their plate and turn them in. I hope also that your cruiser gets repaired properly and quickly. Glad you're ok and that it wasn't as bad as it could have been.
Looks good..... adds character! Glad your ok... next time stay on the throttle, and pile drive the idiot into a telephone pole!
I wont lie that the idea of ramming/pursuit did cross my mind, but I keep pretty good check on my temper and think to myself, "Driver, when you go home tonight and kiss your wife and kids, know that, I let you live."

@98 SNAKE EATER What cam setup are you running? I really like the multiple angles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom