High steer, slee vs hellfire, Hydro assist. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Work looks nice but not seeing the point if your not doing a three link 🤷‍♂️

approach clearance and bump steer, this is all irrelevant to radius arm/links

Came across this build today on IG (@ longxdog). Not sure if he's on MUD but wanted to put the pics here as a future reference. Quite impressive bit of fab work. Running Front Range knuckles, crossover steering, raised/extended panhard AND coil springs. I know this was no easy task to figure out!

@AJR had something similar looking rip off his axle this past week. Not so sure a 6" unsupported lever off the housing is the greatest idea. Also, that new frame bracket ending in the middle of the frame rail without any plating or crossmember or is recipe for compliance due to frame rail twist, and most likely result in a crack around the weld
The full length panhard is nice but if you I did the math the axle swing difference was only something like 3/16" left to right with a panhard that was much shorter and mounted like where @Wermz did his (much easier to strengthen)

Good geometry, but poor execution to chase minimal decimal places of gain IMO

We just did a successful 2K road-mile and 5 wheeling days of shakedown on the setup I just built and I will post it up soon

approach clearance and bump steer, this is all irrelevant to radius arm/links
I'm not seeing any improvements in approach, if anything the tie rod and Hydro Ram and more exposed then running them is the stock location. I've had my Hydro ram mounted behind the axle for years now with out issue and IMHO they are way more protected and my rig see's hard core trail and rock crawling use.
As long as the panhard and drag link are in the same plane or parallel you should not be getting bump steer.
Having the panhard flat does help with keep the body sway to a minimum in the hi speed whoopty do's
Most people move the steering to the front to make room for a three Link on a 80 🤷‍♂️

I'm not seeing any improvements in approach, if anything the tie rod and Hydro Ram and more exposed then running them is the stock location. I've had my Hydro ram mounted behind the axle for years now with out issue and IMHO they are way more protected and my rig see's hard core trail and rock crawling use.
As long as the panhard and drag link are in the same plane or parallel you should not be getting bump steer.
Having the panhard flat does help with keep the body sway to a minimum in the hi speed whoopty do's
Most people move the steering to the front to make room for a three Link on a 80 🤷‍♂️

Sorry, I forgot to mention I did keep the tie-rod behind the axle. When it gets a ram that will go behind the axle as well, I agree with you about the clearance with the ram up front.

I don't see this truck getting linked in it's future but the high-steer and panhard raise were still 100% worth it. Huge improvement in highway stability.

F0A12F07-D67F-447C-9438-798DF04948CA.jpeg

@AJR had something similar looking rip off his axle this past week. Not so sure a 6" unsupported lever off the housing is the greatest idea. Also, that new frame bracket ending in the middle of the frame rail without any plating or crossmember or is recipe for compliance due to frame rail twist, and most likely result in a crack around the weld
The full length panhard is nice but if you I did the math the axle swing difference was only something like 3/16" left to right with a panhard that was much shorter and mounted like where @Wermz did his (much easier to strengthen)

Good geometry, but poor execution to chase minimal decimal places of gain IMO

We just did a successful 2K road-mile and 5 wheeling days of shakedown on the setup I just built and I will post it up soon
I put nowhere near this much effort into the design or fabrication of the part I ripped off the axle, nonetheless I agree this one needs some support. My second version/ trail repair had a small piece of 1x1 square bracing to the top of the axle housing above the diff, it worked well and survived me thoroughly abusing it, but it could have been the pink paint that held it together :cool:

Sorry, I forgot to mention I did keep the tie-rod behind the axle. When it gets a ram that will go behind the axle as well, I agree with you about the clearance with the ram up front.

I don't see this truck getting linked in it's future but the high-steer and panhard raise were still 100% worth it. Huge improvement in highway stability.

Do you have a thread on your hi-steer and panhard raise? I'm thinking I might need to do similar to retain my highway drivability. I do not like the nasty wander and bump steer I'm getting now.

Do you have a thread on your hi-steer and panhard raise? I'm thinking I might need to do similar to retain my highway drivability. I do not like the nasty wander and bump steer I'm getting now.

No, I was going to add it here when I have time to gather up my pics.

I’m also interested in what you have going on with that high steer Matt
I’m not getting bump steer or wandering but do get some body pitch when doing high speed sand whoop de Doo’s.

But I’m only running a 2.5” lift, with 39s Ha ha.
Cruise’s down the road at 70 with no issues 😉

I’m also interested in what you have going on with that high steer Matt
I’m not getting bump steer or wandering but do get some body pitch when doing high speed sand whoop de Doo’s.

But I’m only running a 2.5” lift, with 39s Ha ha.
Cruise’s down the road at 70 with no issues 😉

we drove this rig from Utah to Florida in April, it had a Slee 4", Icon shocks (not sure which "Stage" but they are pretty stiff), no sway bars, stock panhard mounts, it rode nice but had a lot of body roll at high speeds, no noticeable bump steer but mathematically it is there, just getting absorbed by the steering stabilizer and tires.

Got home and added Eimkeith PCK to the rear, raised front panhard and added high steer (only on the right side) with heims on both, replaced tie-rod with heavy wall version and new stock joints, also plated frame under steering box and braced everything, and didn't put a steering stabilizer on it. Then drove it from Florida to Tennessee last week for a test drive. The difference was that it feels like we bolted sway bars on it on the highway, but we didn't. Very satisfied with the improvement.

Next additions will be heims on the rear panhard and a ram assist and then it is probably done.

Sorry for the random pics and painted over heims, we did all this super last minute before our trip last week.

84490E6E-5AEB-45E3-B872-DFEFA6E7C7B3.jpeg

BA47F6E9-67A1-42D9-9462-C02211F316DD.jpeg

2039427A-0A2E-438E-B676-62469E534A12.jpeg

717803DD-D7CF-42CE-ABAF-CFDBF9382750.jpeg

Here is a few pics of my hell fire knuckle setup. My axle is pushed forward almost 3 inches. Might have to shorten the links eventually because of how tight everything is. Gotta finish brake lines and wiring this week so I can cycle everything and find the next problem

32286C73-82F5-456A-9E5E-76BB0E1EE78A.jpeg

B4FB5EFB-9673-41F7-A1C7-7BD66807A4C0.jpeg

2D6C98EF-5DF1-47CA-80B6-64C30380E673.jpeg

Looks great, how’s it drive?

way better than before. less bumper steer and wander at high speed.
I would put a plate under the steering box and tie it all into the panhard bracket and coil bucket on the other side

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom