Hi-Lift jack 101, why won't it ratchet down? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm finally fed up enough to ask the embarassing questions, what the hell is wrong with the way I'm trying to DOWN-jack my rig? It takes a good few minutes for me to get it to drop down, then usually it will slam down unexpectedly the last few loaded inches.

I have the real HI-LIFT model, 48 in I think, and it hasn't been abused or dropped in a river bed or anything. I keep it somewhat lubed, it's all greasy, but not full of crap. I can jact it UP just fine, but when I flip the lever UP to jack DOWN, it will jack down maybe a few cycles of the lever, but then it just raises and lowers as I swing the lever up and down, without ratcheting down any amount. Eventually I can get it to ratchet down a little bit, after fiddling with the flip lever and not really seeing any pattern to what I am doing, then I wince because I KNOW it's going to slam down any minute.

Is the jack shot?

first thing i would do is give it a good spray with wd 40, mine will act up until i lube it up real good, mine is on the outside of my rig so it tends to get the elements

Either that or go buy a new one at Tractor Supply. I got a 48" for under $30. Much cheaper than the brand name Hi-Lift and extremely stout.

I bought the 60" version at a boating store about 4 years ago for $48.95. I later picked up a broken blue Hi-Lift Model HL-480 with a 48" bar from a tobacco farmer to use in my smaller truck. (Tobacco farmers use these to compress tobacco leaves for transportation to market.)
P1010008.jpg

Either that or go buy a new one at Tractor Supply. I got a 48" for under $30. Much cheaper than the brand name Hi-Lift and extremely stout.

I'd rather spend the extra $$ on an all cast model hi-lift... Don't care for made in china with stamped steel.

You can also get a tune up kit at most 4x4 stores. It has new pins and springs. Keep it well lubed w/ WD-40. I carry mine on the outside of my rig and finally sprung for a cover for it. Now it's always clean, dry and in working order.:D I think mine is well over 10 years old now. HTH

I never use grease to lube mine, just wd40...lots of wd40

keep a can of wd40 with you at all times.. Spray before using.

i just pour water on mine

Hmm, I bought my HiLift at a garage sale for $15. But mine you pull the lever up to jack up and knock it down to jack down. Do i have it put together wrong? Seems to work just dandy for me.

Hmm, I bought my HiLift at a garage sale for $15. But mine you pull the lever up to jack up and knock it down to jack down. Do i have it put together wrong? Seems to work just dandy for me.

Mine is the same..

lever up.... jacks up
lever down... goes down

I have the 60" version

Take it apart, clean the pins and maybe touch them up with a file or emery paper if you find the slightest burrs or rough spots---they must slide easily. Put it all back together and lube well. WD-40 is as good as anything.
Have 3 of the real HiLift and this is the most I have ever had to do to any of them. The oldest is about 30 years old.

ok my newish high lift had this problem easy fix. take something like a needle file and take the excess paint out of the holes on the leg, use will also wear the paint out but to use it you still have to deal with the chance of a drop no fun. I am not a fan of WD-40 I use a product called Jig-a-loo in a black and orange can it's a dry style lubricant thats slippery as hell but you can drop your jack in sand and it won't stick even better it doesn't stain so you don't have to worry about getting crap on stuff inside your truck if you store it inside. hope this helps

ok my newish high lift had this problem easy fix. take something like a needle file and take the excess paint out of the holes on the leg, use will also wear the paint out but to use it you still have to deal with the chance of a drop no fun. I am not a fan of WD-40 I use a product called Jig-a-loo in a black and orange can it's a dry style lubricant thats slippery as hell but you can drop your jack in sand and it won't stick even better it doesn't stain so you don't have to worry about getting crap on stuff inside your truck if you store it inside. hope this helps

I want a can of Jig-a-loo just for the name on the can. It would be a total bonus if it could lube my hilift.

I agree with WrenchMonkey that the hang up on a new high lift seems to be the excess powder coat on the bar. After a few uses this wears away, but it's a PIA in the mean time. On an older jack, the pins do get worn, but that takes many, many lifts.

I have a Jackall (Canadian hilift) that must be 40 years old, that actually works better than my 5 year old Hilift.

Jackalls seem to be rare-anyone else have one of these?

Edit-Check it out: http://www.jigaloo.com/products.html

I have a Jackall (Canadian hilift) that must be 40 years old, that actually works better than my 5 year old Hilift.

I've got one, US made hilifts are rare up here :D

Mine is the same..

lever up.... jacks up
lever down... goes down

x3. I usually stand back & use my toe to move the lever down, cuz I've had other hi-lifts rachet down w/a vengance. :eek:

FWIW - bought mine new at Desert Rat. 48", used 2ce on my rig, once for dude on the side of the road. kept in cover, bungied behind front seats so I can get it w/o unloading doberdogs.

I want a can of Jig-a-loo just for the name on the can. It would be a total bonus if it could lube my hilift.

I agree with WrenchMonkey that the hang up on a new high lift seems to be the excess powder coat on the bar. After a few uses this wears away, but it's a PIA in the mean time. On an older jack, the pins do get worn, but that takes many, many lifts.

Edit-Check it out: http://www.jigaloo.com/products.html

I agree, all the Jackalls I've used work better than my Hi-Lift. No-one knows whay a Hi-lift is up here anyways.

Mine sticks all the time, I like to submerge my truck in lots of mud. It's the bottom pin that sticks. When mine sticks when I'm on the trail, I tap it lightly with my hammer and it pop's. Lube the S**t out of it everytime before you go out and it should last almost for ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom