Help with leaking / rusted rear diff (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed my rear diff leaking the other day. Here are some pics. I don't know what I am looking at so any help would be greatly appreciated. I was planning on trailing a pop up camper on Wednesday, but depending on the severity of this I'm not sure what to do. Thank you in advance

raw
raw
raw
raw

If you aren't joking about driving it, you will probably need to clean the diff off and go for a short drive to see where the leak originates. Maybe fill it up first if it is noticeably low.

The leak could be also brake fluid dripping from the brake line that runs over the diff.

Is the exhaust pipe broken off at the muffler? It makes me sad to see one of the finite number of remaining 80s rusted like this.

Sorry for the Flashlight in the second pic. Right above where I put the light is what looks like rust through the diff... yes, the pipe is rusted off the muffler. Just picked this up a month ago. It was a NY / DE car its whole life. The rust up here is real bad.

Just heard back from the shop. The differential is rusted through. same thing with the brake lines and control arms. Looks like I am screwed. :bang:

bought for 4k and put another 1k into it. I've only had it for a month now... Not sure what my options are at this point. Any ideas would be appreciated

Open diff axles can be bought... as can control arms. But, maybe take some overall pictures of the undercarriage. My worry would be that everything else has just rotted away too.

How is the frame? People are always parting stuff out, and brake lines are cheap.

Put her on blocks pull the axle (s) and assess the situation.

Daily driver?

Bummer to hear about your recent purchase not working out so well. Could you possibly buy a non rusted parts 80 and swap out most everything? Coming from California, we just don't see the rust that bad, but I'd be suspect of everything underneath. I've thought about buying a parts 80 to just have extra stuff.

That's a punch in the gut about the rust through @Pdubzz. Being from PA, I feel your pain on the rust issues. If it can be of any help, I have a 1991 FJ80 rear diff listed in the classifieds right now (drum brakes, non-abs) sitting on my shop floor. I would cut you a great deal on it if you pick it up (like a case of beer great deal). If you are interested, PM me.

Yes Lumpskie, from what my trusted mechanic just told me, it looks like I opened a can of worms. The frame has surface rust, but everything else seems to be in pretty bad shape.

I have my 2000 civic as my DD.

@Stoshu I will definitely think about that offer and get back to you, thank you! I am weighing my options at this point. I might just sell it due to the amount of rust. It seems like a never ending money pit.

Lol, I did too. But I wAnted to break things myself, not stupid rust.

Since I'm not too technically sound and no longer have a garage to work in, how much would I be looking at for labor time for replacing the diff? It seems like a very labor intrusive job.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Swapping an axle isn't too bad. I haven't done a cruiser but I could do my Tacoma in a half a day. That being said, with your rust... everything is going to be a nightmare. I can see someone breaking out a torch to get bolts off.

@Pdubzz , FWIW I recently swapped out both axles in my 91 FJ80 that resided in the rust belt most of its life. Took about 4 hrs. for each one. My suggestion is to invest heavily in Aerokroil, not cheap but it really works. I only broke off one shock mount bolt, and it was on the new axle from Florida! :doh:

Now the rusty brake lines...that's a whole other story. Chased those leaks for a week.

IMHO, if the rest of the rig is solid, it's worth swapping the rear axle out.

Sell that sob you will never defeat that much rust. I had a Toyota pickup from new York state. Worst mistake I made every frickin bolt broke off on the undercarriage brake lines rusted thru, was a nightmare when head gasket went I junked it so glad I did I t was turning back into rock the fenders and doors 2 inches up all the way round whole truck were rusted thru it was leaving parts of itself in the trail. Good luck save money up and get one from the south west our south

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom