Help! My 100 Series (1999) is occasionally making a loud squealing noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Help! My wonderful 100 Series (1999) Land Cruiser LX V8 is sometimes starting to make a squealing noise. After an unspecified driving time (it can be short or long), a squealing/screaming sound starts. It is coming from the engine compartment, at the back of the engine, most likely on the left. It is accompanied by the ABS and handbreak warning lights blinking every 1½ seconds.

If I touch the break pedal, the sound temporarily changes, but goes back to "normal" after a split second. It is only affected when I initially touch the break pedal. Depressing it harder, deeper, or longer time doesn't do anything. The pitch change only happens at the very first touch.

Sometimes, after a while, the noise slowly fades out by itself and stops.

I cannot reproduce the fault manually, and it is impossible to know for how long the noise will continue. Sometimes it doesn't happen when I drive, and other times it keeps coming back. It helps to turn off and on the engine when the noise has started. Sometimes the noise goes away for the rest of the trip, and sometimes it comes back again.

ANY help (no wild guesses please) of what this might be is appreciated.

Kind regards,
Bengt

Very likely time for new brake master w/booster assembly. Open your hood and watch front of brake master reservoir. If you hear squeal and see bubbles/wake come up front of reservoir. Then, seals in master are failing:

Also check your drive belt and pullies:

Is it difficult to replace the brake master?
It seems very hard to find a replacement of the whole assembly. Is there an easier fix where I don't have to replace the whole module?

Last edited:
Very likely time for new brake master w/booster assembly. Open your hood and watch front of brake master reservoir. If you hear squeal and see bubbles/wake come up front of reservoir. Then, seals in master are failing:
What parts do I need to replace? It seems like the whole master assembly would cost me the same as the whole vehicle is worth so I'm hoping only a smaller part is needed to replace...

What parts do I need to replace? It seems like the whole master assembly would cost me the same as the whole vehicle is worth so I'm hoping only a smaller part is needed to replace...
I fear your statement, speaks volume about your 1999 100 series condition. But I'll take the time to give addition info on why. For you or anyone that does feel their 100 series is worth properly maintaining.

IMHO: As I said: If you hear the squeal and see bubbles coming up front of reservoir, at same time. You're best, replacing the entry booster assembly with brake master.

The condition will worsen. What is happening IMO; Is seal(s) in forward end of master is/are leaking (failing to hold full pressure). As seal(s) warms form use, it may hold pressure good enough. But even time it leaks/squeals. It will weaken further. You'll still have brakes. But the leak is a pressure loss. This results in booster motor running excessive long duration. Which will cause premature motor failure. Once motor fails to run on demand. You'll lose brakes.

You can just buy the brake master W/Out booster assemble. But it will not be cost effective. First it is more labor to swap your old booster assembly to new master. Second it's booster motor will fail, as all do with age (use). You'll then need new/or rebuilt motor. Its pump will likely last, but weakened and may start leaking/weeping. The accumulator also weakens with time and will also fail in time.

Additionally, if you weight cost of components separately. You'll find the price of the whole assembly, is the deal.

Number one reason for premature brake failure, is NOT properly servicing from day one.

BTW: If you want to replace the seals (parts) failing. Here are the seals. But Toyota does not sell the seal(s), so you'll need to source. Additionally, seals' housing, is not designed to be R&R.

IMG_5245c.jpg

IMG_5320.JPEG

IMG_5321.JPEG

IMG_5309.JPEG

Last edited:
There are times I don't recommend properly servicing a 100 series and spending whatever it takes.

Consideration:
  • Rust so bad. Very little value, even as a parts rig.
  • Accident damage so severe, it's only good as a parts rig.
  • So trashed in every respect, has no value other than scape metal.

Last edited:

I paid $1300 USD (just over their cost) for the entire brake master/booster/motor assembly at the dealer in the US. Since you're in Sweden, you might get it for less from Partsouq. Yes, it was expensive, but I will do this once in the life of the truck, since the first one lasted 300K+ miles.

I paid $1300 USD (just over their cost) for the entire brake master/booster/motor assembly at the dealer in the US. Since you're in Sweden, you might get it for less from Partsouq. Yes, it was expensive, but I will do this once in the life of the truck, since the first one lasted 300K+ miles.
I spoke with Toyota today, and they don't even have the full assembly any more. When they did, it cost just over $3,200...
The correct part number for my LC apparently is 47050-60030.
When searching Partsouq.com, it is not to be found anywhere. Also not in any Swedish parts store. So I don't know how to proceed here...

What part number was yours? And which dealer did you contact? Perhaps I can contact your dealer and have him ship it to Sweden.

Best to double check P/N with VIN # at partsouq.com. Then shop globally. You may also find, other P/N that work.

We "had" very limited supply and some models we could not get. Like the single rear brake line master. At that time. I bought the components separately when I could, and piece together when I had too. Other times, I just found components needed and installed.

Then about 2 years ago, all model masters came into USA. Container loads and prices dropped. I've replaced about 1 month since. Some as a PM, others due to no brakes.

47050-60010 These have single rear brake line. 98-99 USA 100 series.
47050-60042 These have two rear brake line. 00- 02 USA 100 series. B type pressure wire housing. There is one for early 2000, with A pressure SW wire housing.
47050-60043 These have two rear brake line. 03-07 USA 100 series. It's believed the 00-02 is same as 03-07. With just minor bracket difference, resulting in different P/N. But I've not verified this.

Last edited:
@cruiserpatrol66 - my booster assembly (as 2001LC noted above) was part number 47050-60010, for $1325 USD. See reply #12 in the 'build thread' in my signature below for details.

You should call your dealer and be SURE of the part number before you order. I got some misleading part numbers until I called my Lexus dealer and had them confirm the number. I then ordered it from my local Toyota dealer (Corwin Toyota, Colorado Springs, CO)

It would be a good idea, if you post a video of your brake master. A steady view, shot from the front, like the video above. We need to hear squeal and see bubbles come up front of reservoir at same time, in a video. If I see this, then I'll be 98% sure, it is the masters' internal seals. Also, some still pictures clearly showing any reservoir staining and condition of fluid. Also statement, when fluid was/if been flushed or topped and how long ago. Also, what brake fluid use.

There is a 2% chance this is not the master internal seals, as I've pointed to. Others have suggested other failure point, where we hear the squeal. To date, none have panned out as the case. One of these is the ABS units valves. ABS unit (black box on side of master) has SW's and valves internally. Twice I've found ABS unit, was the failure point. But in neither did we get a squeal sound or see bubbles.

You should also post general picture (body, under body & frame, interior, engine) of condition of your LX. Perhaps your 99 LX isn't worth it. We can then all stop wasting everyone's time!

But if you're going to keep and drive you LX, you must correct. Condition will get worst. At some point motor burns up. Or you'll just not hold usable pressure at seals. Lose of brakes at the wrong time is deadly.

You stated; you've a: 100 Series (1999) Land Cruiser LX V8. But if you go to www.partsouq.com and look for your LX, without VIN #. You'll see pages of variation. This is why VIN must be used, to locate P/N. Be best if posted VIN # and pictures. Which may help us help you.

Brake Master are sold without booster assembly. You'll want to get its P/N also and search for it too. Brake master comes with ABS unit (black box on side) and reservoir. Many core components are used globally in 100 & 105 LH & RH drive. So again, there may be alternative brake master with just a very small difference, that may work for your LX470.

I found only a few imagines of 47050-60030. None that showed all sides. This one below. Shows a wire connection (circled in blue) we do not have in USA models. Or it's the reservoir level indicator wire, in different position than USA.
It does show the ABS 3 wire housing block connections, which can be matched to other masters. I cannot see how many hard brake lines flare point connection (3 or 4). Nor if a pressure SW on front or which type.

47050-60030
4705060030-1 (2).jpg

There are other solutions:
  1. Find just a brake master without booster assy.
  2. Used brake master from a parts rig.Nnot a great option. But there are clues, which can help pick a good one (least likely to fail). Number one is condition of reservoir & fluid. If heavily stained, that is not good. If you read the thread I provided above, you understand why.
  3. Be the first to rebuild, with inner seals. This takes someone very good with their hand, and very meticulous. The O-rings need to be of proper rubber type and sized perfectly.
  4. Convert to different style brake system. Like the old vacuum booster or no booster (Search, some have).
  5. As mentioned, Use alternative P/N brake master.

In any case. You must be qualified to work on brakes. There is a reason Toyota and Lexus dealership. Do only one thing with brake master issues. They replace the whole assembly only. Risk is just to high.

Last edited:
Someone just post a rig that has been modified to vacuum booster setup.

It would be a good idea, if you post a video of your brake master. A steady view, shot from the front, like the video above. We need to hear squeal and see bubbles come up front of reservoir at same time, in a video. If I see this, then I'll be 98% sure, it is the masters' internal seals. Also, some still pictures clearly showing any reservoir staining and condition of fluid. Also statement, when fluid was/if been flushed or topped and how long ago. Also, what brake fluid use.

There is a 2% chance this is not the master internal seals, as I've pointed to. Others have suggested other failure point, where we hear the squeal. To date, none have panned out as the case. One of these is the ABS units valves. ABS unit (black box on side of master) has SW's and valves internally. Twice I've found ABS unit, was the failure point. But in neither did we get a squeal sound or see bubbles.

You should also post general picture (body, under body & frame, interior, engine) of condition of your LX. Perhaps your 99 LX isn't worth it. We can then all stop wasting everyone's time!

But if you're going to keep and drive you LX, you must correct. Condition will get worst. At some point motor burns up. Or you'll just not hold usable pressure at seals. Lose of brakes at the wrong time is deadly.

You stated; you've a: 100 Series (1999) Land Cruiser LX V8. But if you go to www.partsouq.com and look for your LX, without VIN #. You'll see pages of variation. This is why VIN must be used, to locate P/N. Be best if posted VIN # and pictures. Which may help us help you.

Brake Master are sold without booster assembly. You'll want to get its P/N also and search for it too. Brake master comes with ABS unit (black box on side) and reservoir. Many core components are used globally in 100 & 105 LH & RH drive. So again, there may be alternative brake master with just a very small difference, that may work for your LX470.

I found only a few imagines of 47050-60030. None that showed all sides. This one below. Shows a wire connection (circled in blue) we do not have in USA models. Or it's the reservoir level indicator wire, in different position than USA.
It does show the ABS 3 wire housing block connections, which can be matched to other masters. I cannot see how many hard brake lines flare point connection (3 or 4). Nor if a pressure SW on front or which type.

47050-60030
View attachment 3349718

There are other solutions:
  1. Find just a brake master without booster assy.
  2. Used brake master from a parts rig.Nnot a great option. But there are clues, which can help pick a good one (least likely to fail). Number one is condition of reservoir & fluid. If heavily stained, that is not good. If you read the thread I provided above, you understand why.
  3. Be the first to rebuild, with inner seals. This takes someone very good with their hand, and very meticulous. The O-rings need to be of proper rubber type and sized perfectly.
  4. Convert to different style brake system. Like the old vacuum booster or no booster (Search, some have).
  5. As mentioned, Use alternative P/N brake master.

In any case. You must be qualified to work on brakes. There is a reason Toyota and Lexus dealership. Do only one thing with brake master issues. They replace the whole assembly only. Risk is just to high.
I'll try to make a video when the noise starts, and post it here.

Here are some pics of my vehicle. I don't have any pics of the frame, but it's fine. I can take a pic of the engine tomorrow.

Land Cruiser 1 20230615_214907.jpg

Front.
Land Cruiser 2 20230615_214915.jpg

Side
Land Cruiser 3 20230615_214923.jpg

Rear. There is some rust around the Toyota emblem
Land Cruiser 4 20230615_214933.jpg

Interior
Land Cruiser 5 20230615_214953.jpg

Break master assembly

I'm the only owner of it. I bought it brand new in Abu Dhabi 1999. It has only had two drivers, me and my ex wife. About 180,000 km on the meter.

VIN: JT3HT05J-7X0027240

@cruiserpatrol66 - my booster assembly (as 2001LC noted above) was part number 47050-60010, for $1325 USD. See reply #12 in the 'build thread' in my signature below for details.

You should call your dealer and be SURE of the part number before you order. I got some misleading part numbers until I called my Lexus dealer and had them confirm the number. I then ordered it from my local Toyota dealer (Corwin Toyota, Colorado Springs, CO)
I did call a dealer. He said the part number came up for my VIN. Not orderable in Sweden / Europe any longer apparently.

I'll try to make a video when the noise starts, and post it here.

Here are some pics of my vehicle. I don't have any pics of the frame, but it's fine. I can take a pic of the engine tomorrow.

View attachment 3350082
Front.
View attachment 3350083
Side
View attachment 3350084
Rear. There is some rust around the Toyota emblem
View attachment 3350085
Interior
View attachment 3350086
Break master assembly

I'm the only owner of it. I bought it brand new in Abu Dhabi 1999. It has only had two drivers, me and my ex wife. About 180,000 km on the meter.

VIN: JT3HT05J-7X0027240
Just a though. The brake has a warning alarm. It's not that, that you're hearing, is it?

The video of the event should be very revealing.

Looks like a nice clean 100 series. Certainly, worth maintaining.

Brake fluid looks good as does reservoir. Meaning fluid clear, no staining in reservoir. This is not typically what I see, when brake master squealing with bubbles. Those have very dark fluid, unless just replaced. They almost always have dark staining in reservoir also. Allowing fluid to go without changing (bad fluid). Is leading cause of premature seal failure.

That said, Toyota had a recall for brake master seals. 2005 -2007 (not 100 series). They cited off the shelf brake fluid added to the system, rather than Toyota fluid. We learned then, not all DOT 3 brake is equal. The TSB/recall is mostly forgotten these days. Toyota/Lexus Dealership, use bulk brake fluid in their shops. What I found very interesting. Was. I informed about 2 years ago, by one of my Toyota part guys. They're seeing an unusually high number of brake master (failures), going through parts.

Why do I bring this up. For the same reason I only use Toyota brake fluid..... What brake fluid used, may affect the rubber seals.

Parts diagrams:

ww.partsouq.com I input your VIN and found the brake master diagrams:

https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genuine/unit?c=TOYOTA00&ssd=$*KwGOuquD2fPf9tPM283QgNbC4uX7ioWIiZu0h8_J-u359fP7qa6--Pj07-_p6PGrrInjzcnN_Pfui62_x4n3jeOMjYiP19_HwtP6wJ7JmILHsdWQn9mZho_HxpCCk_zGmNjV2ZiC18fV2tTemYafjo_V2dWQn9PVnoeYjNLYxoqN_pnBw8zRgauMntTOmYaf7PGrydue1MmZhp_w7Najo4yI8IzkjYqK0tnDjJ-Wmd_emILH3M6Njo-LnpGY1YbJzZ7o4PGNjYr0yKy57Pjx7Z6RmN6Mj9WGjojGAAAAAGi1E0Y=$&vid=0&cid=2&uid=381811&q=JT3HT05J7X0027240

This is the whole brake master w/booster assy
4705060030BRAKE BOOSTER ASSY W/MASTER CYLINDER47210LHZJ105..LHD..STD;FZJ105,HZJ105..GX..(GCC,GEN);FZJ100,HDJ100,UZJ100..GCC,GEN

Search result for: 4705060030 (They say not available. This only means their suppliers aren't showing in inventory)​

MakeNumberNameAvailabilityWeight, kgProcessing, daysPrice

Toyota Motor Corp.​

4705060030BRAKE BOOSTER ASSY, W/MASTER CYLINDER012.82-32112.03$Not Available

Substitutions​

Toyota Motor Corp.​

4721060030CYLINDER ASSY012.82-32020.70$Not Available

This is brake master only. They also have subs which you'll find drilling down in them. Edit: The second sub 47201-160720 doesn't look correct, so I removed
4702560030CYLINDER SUB-ASSY, BRAKE MASTER47201HZJ105..LHD..STD;FZJ105,HZJ105..GX..(GCC,GEN);FZJ100,HDJ100,UZJ100..GCC,GEN W(ABS)0101.1998 - 07.1999

They only difference that jumped out at me,. From the USA 3 hard brake line of the 98-99 100 series P/N 47050-60010. Is this second brake control wire and its bracket. We do not have that. It is possible the USA 47050-60010 may work, with your extra brake control wire. You'll need to find out more about the wire. The where/what/why in connects to/for.

IMG_5343 (3).jpg

Last edited:
I think I would go with the closest North American brake booster assembly as @2001LC because it is half the price... and adapt your existing parts to make up for the differences. However, if you want the substitution part number (47210-60030), you can try Megazip. They list it at US$2766.

Small update.
After many days and worries about the noise, I spoke with a Toyota workshop. He said that they would not rule out other possibilities without thorough troubleshooting, including ruling out faulty signals from the ABS unit.

This made me start thinking and I decided to try to look into it myself first so the first thing I did was to disconnect all cables going into/out of the ABS Unit, clean the connectors, and reconnect them again.

That was 10 days ago. No noise since then, touch wood...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom