Help me identify this front axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The 67 FJ40 I picked up has a Toyota front axle but don't know from what model. It's disc brakes, low pinion third, Asin hubs, and has "scoops" and vents in the backing plate
20220227_150717.jpg
20220227_150753.jpg

Those backing plates are from a late 1980 fj60s

So an FJ62, then? Thanks

So an FJ62, then? Thanks

My '89 FJ62 has those air scoops and vents.

Vented rotors or solid?

Could be a disk brake swap from a mini-truck.

Don’t the spring hangars need to be moved outward for a full 60/62 axle swap? If so and your hangars are stock, I’d assume disc swap onto stock axle or a newer (non ball/claw) 40 axle was installed with that disc brake swap.

it could also be a mish mash of parts
large bolt pattern or small?
vented backing plates are 62 series
the housing would have been changed as the original housing would have had the inner axle bushing not a seal

it could also be a mish mash of parts
large bolt pattern or small?
vented backing plates are 62 series
the housing would have been changed as the original housing would have had the inner axle bushing not a seal

That's kind of what I thought. What bolt pattern are you referring to?

Don’t the spring hangars need to be moved outward for a full 60/62 axle swap? If so and your hangars are stock, I’d assume disc swap onto stock axle or a newer (non ball/claw) 40 axle was installed with that disc brake swap.

I guess I won't know for sure until I tear it apart.

That's kind of what I thought. What bolt pattern are you referring to?
The studs and nuts holding the steering arm to the top of the knuckle. Larger pattern would indicate 79+ FJ40, Mini-truck or 60 series. Smaller would be 76 - 78 FJ40.
Like she always says, Bigger is Better ;)
I guess I won't know for sure until I tear it apart.
Provide a few more pics from a little further back without the wheel/tire. I bet Mud could figure it out.

If your spring perches and mounts have not been modified, you likely have a disk brake swap using FJ62 knuckles/brakes. Your drag link and tie rod would also have to have been modified. Tie rod ends and lengths are different.

Look in faq's scroll down to frt ends and look at the top 2 posts. They will help I'd what knuckles you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom