Help Identifying Engine Compartment Parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I'm looking at purchasing a local FJ60 that the owner says is in great condition, but I happened to notice it's missing a few hoses compared to some other photos I've seen in the engine compartment. I don't know these trucks well enough to know if that's something I should be concerned about or not.

Can someone tell me what #1 and #2 is in the photo and if those were missing, what would that mean?

EngineCompartment.jpeg

Screen Shot 2016-12-07 at 7.34.41 PM.png

This may help. If those two hoses are missing, it's possible someone removed or gutted the air pump, AKA smog pump, most likely because it seized. The pulley on the front of it needs to stay in place for the belt, so there should either be a gutted air pump there (looks normal from the outside), or a simple idler pulley in it's place.

If you're in an area without emissions testing, it's not a big deal. The spinning pulley being in place is the most important part. But it's worth looking into other things that may be missing.

Man, thank you guys so much for the quick and detailed answer. That helps a lot. Doesn't put me at ease that the smog pump was disconnected/removed and not noted on the description. I've only seen pictures so far, but I'll check it out in person. Hard to know what else might be abnormal! Thanks again!

Don't worry about the smog pump being removed. Most of us that live in states that don't require smog testing, voluntarily remove (desmog) the system. The end result is usually better performance, less mechanical issues to leave you stranded, and a much cleaner (less cluttered) engine bay.

I don't think the seller is trying to dupe you, he may not even know it's missing, if he bought the cruiser that way.

Conclusion, if you live in a state where smog testing isn't required, it's a non issue at worst and a positive performance modification at best.

Echoing what @CaptClose said. The absence of the smog pump and several hoses is something to be desired by some people. My truck had all of that removed before I bought it as well. There are a couple little things that whoever worked on the desmog did that I'm changing, but in general it's a good thing to see.

There are a lot of good people in the San Antonio area that would be willing to help you out once you pick something up.

no concern, except that the desmog was done correctly. if so......its a good thing

there should be a pulley(or a gutted smog pump) in place of the smog pump(which is under the PS pump) the pulley is needed as that belt is the one that turns the waterpump.

no concern, except that the desmog was done correctly. if so......its a good thing

there should be a pulley(or a gutted smog pump) in place of the smog pump(which is under the PS pump) the pulley is needed as that belt is the one that turns the waterpump.

^^^^^ That was one thing that was done incorrectly on mine. Whoever did the desmog left the smog pump with all of the internals and it seized up on me. If it weren't for @CaptClose it would've been a huge PITA.

Echoing what @CaptClose said. The absence of the smog pump and several hoses is something to be desired by some people. My truck had all of that removed before I bought it as well. There are a couple little things that whoever worked on the desmog did that I'm changing, but in general it's a good thing to see.

There are a lot of good people in the San Antonio area that would be willing to help you out once you pick something up.

Thanks @FishTown

Lets try again: Thanks @FishTown and @CaptClose (and everyone else for the input too). I really am a newbie to these FJ60s and its good knowing that there's some good help nearby! :) I owned a 1981 FJ40 about 10 years ago while living overseas and I've wanted one of those or an FJ60 ever since. Now that we have a bit of land out here, it makes a lot more sense than my Civic.

depending where oversea's(as there will be exceptions), the 81 fj40 shares the same drivetrain as a fj60, if they both had emissions those are also identical

Lets try again: Thanks @FishTown and @CaptClose (and everyone else for the input too). I really am a newbie to these FJ60s and its good knowing that there's some good help nearby! :) I owned a 1981 FJ40 about 10 years ago while living overseas and I've wanted one of those or an FJ60 ever since. Now that we have a bit of land out here, it makes a lot more sense than my Civic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom