Help! Heater core over flow??? what is this?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rockymtnreaper

Colorado.Cruiser
Threads
Sorry if this has been posted already, my searches have been inconclusive.
I'm having antifreeze drip out of this hose in the fire-wall and I'm not sure if it is an overflow from the heater core, or if it is the condensation drain for the AC unit.. or if it supposed to be connected to something?? It's just an "L" shaped hose that come out of the fire wall.

Here is a picture of it, please help.. ( Additional information: also my heater core is shot, and I have been replacing other coolant hoses around the engine.)

1986 FJ60 2F

Screenshot_2016-03-02-08-01-00 copy.jpg

looks like you have a bad heater core, you can plug and clamp the in and out hoses at the fire wall and you wont have any heat.
I expect its a fun project to change the core. take lots of pictures

looks like you have a bad heater core, you can plug and clamp the in and out hoses at the fire wall and you wont have any heat.
I expect its a fun project to change the core. take lots of pictures

Real fun, the whole dash has to come out from what I hear... When I do it, I will take a lot of pictures! Yes sir, my heater core is shot.

What would be the best way to plug it for now? I'm doing a trip to Moab in a few days and I don't want to have any more issues with this tell I'm back and can replace it.

Trace the line and see where it goes... Could be one of the lower outlet lines to the rear heater if your truck still has it.

the best thing iv found for cutting hose nice and neat is a PVC cutting tool, cheap at harbor freight, looks like funny garden cutters, makes square clean cuts every time.
id pick good locations to cut each hose and install a Prestone T on the motor side. connecting your in and out into each other allowing a burp and circulation.
k2-_ae044fca-e34e-4215-b36d-d18736619d3c.v1.jpg

on the fire wall core side id just leave it open or blow it out with some air. because you will be in it soon enough

I have done this - getting the heater core out is a hell of a job, got to remove the dash, instruments etc. Only to find it wasn't the heater core leaking, but rust around a panel lip above the passenger foot well, which collects water from the grilles near the wiper blades. So try to find the source of the leak before you assume it's the heater core.. Other point is, even in Africa, a heater is actually a necessity in winter - otherwise you'll be driving in parka's and mittens..

Isn't that the condensation drip hose for the AC?

If so, and the fluid has been positively identified as coolant, then there is a leak somewhere in the core. Bummer.

Yeah that was going to be my next question.... are you sure that it is coolant or is it just condensation?
Other question is if you can tell if it is coming from a hose or does it look like elsewhere... Go through and make sure that all your hose clamps are nice and tight to see if it stops... get under there and clean REAL good so you can see where it is coming from.

And depending on how bad the leak is you may be able to get away with just keeping a bottle of coolant with you and topping the system off to ensure you do not get yourself too low.

Verify the fluid first.
That's the AC cond. drip hose.

... and if you've been running the AC recently, it can plug up, drip for days and resemble a leak.

Last edited:
I have done this - getting the heater core out is a hell of a job, got to remove the dash, instruments etc. Only to find it wasn't the heater core leaking, but rust around a panel lip above the passenger foot well, which collects water from the grilles near the wiper blades. So try to find the source of the leak before you assume it's the heater core.. Other point is, even in Africa, a heater is actually a necessity in winter - otherwise you'll be driving in parka's and mittens..

If so, and the fluid has been positively identified as coolant, then there is a leak somewhere in the core. Bummer.

Yeah that was going to be my next question.... are you sure that it is coolant or is it just condensation?
Other question is if you can tell if it is coming from a hose or does it look like elsewhere... Go through and make sure that all your hose clamps are nice and tight to see if it stops... get under there and clean REAL good so you can see where it is coming from.

And depending on how bad the leak is you may be able to get away with just keeping a bottle of coolant with you and topping the system off to ensure you do not get yourself too low.

Verify the fluid first.
That's the AC cond. drip hose.

... and if you've been running the AC recently, it can plug up, drip for days and resemble a leak.

Okay, so I know for a fact my heater core is shot. It has been for about a month now. (I'm going to fix it, I live in Colorado = 9 months cold weather out of the year)

I know the difference between coolant and condensation, it is definitely coolant.

I have been replacing hoses the last few day and have been replacing the bad ones and tightening all the connections. I know that I am not leaking anywhere else.. I also watched it leak out of the drip hose.. I don't use my AC ever, and I don't even think its charged. I am carrying antifreeze with me to check it and top it off but it really isn't leaking that much, I just have never seen it leak from there.

I'm just concerned because I have never seen it leak from there? Do you think I overfilled the system and that would be a sign of that?

Just to be clear I am running normal temperatures.

The issue is my heater core is leaking, draining coolant out through the a/c evap sweat drain. I will do a replacement of the heater core here in two weeks when I have the part and time. But for now, should I be concerned or just be mindful of it and check my coolant levels before driving?

Check the coolant level in overflow reservoir at the end of driving when the engine is hot. Make sure is a bit above the HOT (top) line in the tank.

Top it off if it isn't.
Over night as it cools down, coolant will be sucked back into the engine. What you are trying to avoid is sucking air back into the radiator during cool down.

Check the coolant level in overflow reservoir at the end of driving when the engine is hot. Make sure is a bit above the HOT (top) line in the tank.

Top it off if it isn't.
Over night as it cools down, coolant will be sucked back into the engine. What you are trying to avoid is sucking air back into the radiator during cool down.
I will check that out, Thank you!

the pic points to the ac evap core condensation drain.....unlikely coolant is coming out of this drain...its sole purpose is to drain water condensation from the heater core when the a/c is working. Likely you have a another hose leaking on to that.... but if your heater core were to be bad or the hoses connections to it...I'm not sure it could drain out of that...given that...you should smell coolant in the cab if heater core leaking. Pressure test coolant system to find out where leak.

if a leaking heater can drain into the evap core area...then...maybe its the heater core...pressure test will show.

your good....you really can't overfill the coolant. But if your heater core is leaking....and you don't shut off the flow of coolant you are highly likely to soak your carpet with coolant..etc. And the smell should be really ovbious...to include coolant in the floorboards. You might be luckly and have a pin hole leak or something similar....but it can make a mess of your carpet.

your good....you really can't overfill the coolant. But if your heater core is leaking....and you don't shut off the flow of coolant you are highly likely to soak your carpet with coolant..etc. And the smell should be really ovbious...to include coolant in the floorboards. You might be luckly and have a pin hole leak or something similar....but it can make a mess of your carpet.
Thank you @Elbert I don't want that to happen since I have new carpet!! I ordered a new core and am going to replace it next week!! Since I'm there I want to just go ahead and replace everything.

Any suggestions on what aftermarket heater core works/ fits the best? I don't think I can get my hands on an oem one!

Any tips help!!

Found some antifreeze on the passenger side floor.. I was wondering if I can plug off the hoses that goes to the heater core? Would this have any negative effects??

My idea for the a plug..
20160303_153101.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom