Help/Advice for new purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone!

First time posting, so my apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I am in need of a new vehicle soon and would love to get an FJ60. It would be my daily driver. I am unsure of the commute right now as I will most likely be moving to Colorado in the next few months. Currently, I am working remote so not much driving going on.

I am not the most mechanical person, so I am looking for a well kept cruiser that won't be a mechanical money pit. I have found this one located in Dallas. Of course, I would need to ship it to Tampa, and then in a few months trailer it to Denver.

What do you all think of this: Restored 1985 Toyota FJ60 for sale or trade

Thank you in advance for any help or advice you can give me, I really do appreciate it.

All 60's are mechanical money pits. That's the joy of them. If you want one, you'll become "mechanical" in no time. They are simple to work on, and this forum has a ton of resources and people willing to help out.

As far as the Cruiser you're looking at, it seems good to me. Although, you could probably find a similar truck cheaper, if you're willing to wait and keep looking. And yes, even that truck will be a mechanical money pit.

Good luck buddy.

30 year old vehicles will own either your soul and/or your wallet. Most likely both. There will always be something not working right so prepare to open your wallet if you choose not to repair yourself. Part of the fun is driving the rig and the other half for me is maintaining it. The 60 series seems to no longer be a drive and forget scenario for the majority of owners who daily drive. Not to be insensitive, because I do not know your situation, but have you considered a 100 or even 200 series for creature comforts and scheduled maintenance?

"I am not the most mechanical person" + "I am in need of a new vehicle soon and would love to get an FJ60" = not a good idea

This is just not a practical scenario.

I would encourage anyone I know to get a 60 series because they are amazing vehicles, but I would advise them to be prepared to do constant repairs and have money set aside for parts/upgrades. 60's aren't unreliable or bad vehicles, but they are getting up there in age. Most have over a quarter million miles these days and even then they are pricey.

If you do decide to buy one, make sure you watch out for rust. Avoid ebay and sight unseen purchases, do a ton of research, and try to buy one from someone that knows land crusiers. Example, if you buy one from someone on mud that has been around a while and has a good reputation, you will likely save a ton of time and money if it has been base-lined mechanically where as something on craigslist/ebay is unknown and might make it a mile down the road before belts break and hoses leak.

Best of luck

I fear you all may be right. As much as I would absolutely love to own one, I'm not sure buying one before moving across the country to a new city is the ideal scenario. I would be living in an apartment which might make working on it myself more difficult.

I have considered the 100 and 200 series. I like them as well, it's just tough to look past the 60 as it has a very iconic look to it. I am checking out some alternatives like a nice 4Runner or Tacoma in the mean time.

One day I will get a 60, but maybe now is not the right time.

Thank you all for the help, I really appreciate it.

If you are going to Colorado you will have a lot of 60s to choose from. I'd wait, get settled, and then look out that way when you have time to have a project/fun car in addition to your daily driver.

A 60 (even in fantastic condition) is a challenge to use as a daily. I say that to say this... there is almost no better vehicle to have for a frivolous second play thing. Good luck with your search and when your hunt continues, remember that your patience above all will reward you in your future purchase.

"I am not the most mechanical person" + "I am in need of a new vehicle soon and would love to get an FJ60" = not a good idea

This is just not a practical scenario.

I would encourage anyone I know to get a 60 series because they are amazing vehicles, but I would advise them to be prepared to do constant repairs and have money set aside for parts/upgrades. 60's aren't unreliable or bad vehicles, but they are getting up there in age. Most have over a quarter million miles these days and even then they are pricey.

If you do decide to buy one, make sure you watch out for rust. Avoid ebay and sight unseen purchases, do a ton of research, and try to buy one from someone that knows land crusiers. Example, if you buy one from someone on mud that has been around a while and has a good reputation, you will likely save a ton of time and money if it has been base-lined mechanically where as something on craigslist/ebay is unknown and might make it a mile down the road before belts break and hoses leak.

Best of luck

A 60 (even in fantastic condition) is a challenge to use as a daily. I say that to say this... there is almost no better vehicle to have for a frivolous second play thing. Good luck with your search and when your hunt continues, remember that your patience above all will reward you in your future purchase.

OP, you made a wise choice.

These two guys have it right. As a still newish 60 owner, I'm still learning everyday but the grandeur dream of a daily driver has long since past.

Will my 60 run and get lots of looks and fun to drive, absolutely.

Is it the fastest, most economical, or convenient thing to drive? nope.

I was planning of getting rid of my Tundra once I got my 60, but with life and plans, I'm def keeping the Tundra and the 60 is a 2 day or weekend toy. I literally have over $2200 worth of new parts in my truck that I need to make time to install, but let's be real about it...it's a 32yr old truck. I will say this, you don't see too many other 30+ year old vehicles chugging along, but it's because the typical 60 owner does whatever it takes to keep theirs rolling, and plenty of members here are proof of it. They are like my superheroes because their tips and mistakes teach us all

I purchased mine knowing I needed a vehicle in the winter that in a pinch I could put a car seat in. Also with the full discussion of wanting kids we might be getting rid of the Jeep that we have in favor of a mini van. The FJ62 I purchased was intended for a winter daily, camping and adventure rig. We do have another vehicle I could use but in the summer we share the Jeep or I rid the motorcycle.

I remember working on cars in an apartment and it might be in my future if we relocate. Something I don't want to do again but would if needed.

Second keep an eye out for a good one. Look at several and go thru it with a fine tooth comb.

Going uphill on I-70 in a 60 series is quite the adventure as well; if you're getting a 60s series for use in Colorado, be prepared to live life in the slow lane.

After a good baseline is performed the maintenance is minimal. I've used a 60 for a play toys, grocery getter/ errand runner, driveway decoration, full offroad, and a hard use daily driver (220 miles a day/ 6 days a week) without issue.

If you can turn a wrench, read a FSM and use the search function here on MUD, its a wonderful vehicle and I'd personally take it over MANY new vehicles offered today.

J

Hey I daily mine and it's my only vehicle.

Now ask me about my social life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom