Help a noob? :) Hood won't latch - missing hood support bracket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, slightly nervous to post but thrilled to finally have an FJ60 after wanting one for 25 years... :) We bought the wagon last weekend and although she runs, I have a few things stopping me from getting it inspected so I can get it on the road. Doubtful I should barrage you with them all now, but let me ask about the hood latch.

Upon close inspection, it looks like we're missing the hood latch support piece, which I've also seen called the grill center support. When I push down on the latch, there is a little play, so I'm hoping this will give it enough stability to allow the hood latch to catch.

Do you think this will solve my problem? I'm attaching a pic, but if you notice the center of the grill doesn't line up perfectly with where the mounting bolt would attach to the latch. Also, my grill is missing the two tabs on the passenger side, so it's a bit loose, although it does stay put.

Anyone have a part number for this piece? I've been googling, but can't seem to find one. Getting prices at yards from $45 to $100 for this part, would like to know it's going to solve my problem (and that there's not something else we need too) before plunking down $.

Thanks in advance!

p.s. Maybe I should stick with the prior owners solution of a piece of wood and a bungee cord.... ha!

Photo Apr 10, 7 52 55 PM.jpg

That missing piece will almost certainly solve your issue.

Look at the very top of this page and go to Classifieds . Someone will have one in Parts for Sale. Also go to Parting Out and make a wanted post for this part.

I had a huge trans cooler on my old 62 and removed that support to get it to fit. The hood would still shut without it, but it needed to be slammed pretty hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom