Hello/Merry Xmas from Noobie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.wholechiro.com
Hello/Merry Xmas to all (and apologies in advance for my noobie errors),

I'm about to purchase a 1970 or 1971 FJ40, but have two very different options:
1. 1970: doesn't run, has engine replaced with Chevy 350 (but current one cracked block), 2nd engine in the wings; transmission replaced with 4-spd, power steering added (although sloppily--will post pics once I figure out how), mostly rust-free, solid frame, OK seats (broken mount on driver), has parts to replace windscreen--close to home and about $5000, but unknown whether trans will work, replacement 350 will work...
NOTES from owner: "Chevy V8 Conversion Roller Rockers with Girdle on Fuelie Heads Headers and Dual Exhaust Edelbrock Aluminum Performer Intake Holley 650 CFM 4 Barrel Carb with Electric Choke HEI Electronic Distributor Brand New Radiator 4spd Transmission 4 Wheel Disc Brake Conversion Saginaw Power Steering Conversion 4 Aluminum Wheels with Near New 31x10.5x15 All Terrain Radial Tires Tow Bar Grant Custom Steering Wheel Good Body with a little rust here and there Great Original Floors and Rear Bed All Doors (Front and Rear) in good solid shape"

2. 1971-ish: Runs, burns some oil, Chevy 350 replaced in 80s, 3-spd toyota trans replaced in 2000,
NOTES From owner: "Early 80's frame off resto-mod. Owned for last 25 years. Toyota 3 spd drive train w/350 chevy, power steering, hyd tilt front, one of a kind"..."The 350 is okay, little oil use, I installed a used Toyota 3 spd around 2000, vacuum 4wd never an issue. Someone in the 80's rebuilt the back half, installed 350 & pwr steering and built the tilt front end. I installed 3" or 4" rancho softride springs and monroe shocks. Painted it around 1990.I never really finished it."
--this one is about $12000 and have to drive a couple hours just to see it

Based on what I've read, there's going to be a lot of work and $$$ involved no matter which one I get, but am looking for some opinions that might tip the balance. Thanks!
-T

Click the 'attach file' button, below, and choose the pictures you wish to attach... I don't recall how many pics you are allowed to post initially...

Why are you limited to those two choices. Neither sounds ideal.

Why'd you choose that user name? U planning to be a noob forever? :)

WElcome to mud.

43684711-770-0@2X.jpg

43684698-770-0.jpg

43684694-770-0@2X.jpg

1971 Toyota FJ40 for Sale - Image 1 of 4

Why are you limited to those two choices. Neither sounds ideal.

Why'd you choose that user name? U planning to be a noob forever? :)

WElcome to mud.
Thx for the welcome--as I continue to learn every day, every day is new. Plus compared to most, I'll always be a noobie when it comes to cars.
No, neither are ideal, but I have trust issues with buying something sight-unseen, having it shipped across the country, therefore am limited in how far I can travel to see the FJ. Price is also a limiting factor.
Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong classifieds? Have tried Craigslist, Hemmings, Cruizers...just not many options on the East Coast (in Maryland)
I don't trust eBay. Found a couple "too good to be true" scams on Oodle and AmericanListed.com.

Check out the capital club, there will be more knowledge there about local rigs that may be for sale.

Welcome. Don't be too logical about this. You'll be spending no small amount of time in and under your Toy, so if it doesn't move your spirit in some way, forget about it. My PO said it was good to go. I bought it without seeing it other than photos. Well, it was as far from good to go as East is from West. But I love my Yotis and just don't care ;) Of course, this nonsense does NOT take into account the "B" word (budget).

Take your time and read all you can, including THIS LINK ... Read the FAQs at the top of the 40-55 Tech forum, read threads, ask questions.

Don't be afraid to look outside your local area ... use searchck.com and/or searchtempest.com and, if you find something promising, contact a MUD member, from a club (top of forum pages "CLUBHOUSE"), local to the vehicle of interest, and ask for someone to do a physical inspections for you... or, hire a professional inspector for $300 or so.

Ask opinions on 'contenders' and BE PATIENT.

Good luck!!

and Welcome!!

Danny,
Thanks so much--article and sales questions are great and super-detailed. Definitely gives me some things to think about (worry about!). Will check the other search links too. Appreciate it! Merry Xmas and thanks for the welcome!

Tom

Hey I was a total 'noob' to these things when I came on here too!!!! I have always worked on my own cars but usually the basics. If I can learn to do so many mechanical things anyone can!!!! Danny gave super advice....take your time and learn as much as you can. Don't be afraid to ask questions-some idiot will always say something like "did you do a search already??" But there will always be some assholes out there-most people here are really solid folks with a wealth of information! So don't be afraid to ask and WELCOME!

Hey I was a total 'noob' to these things when I came on here too!!!! I have always worked on my own cars but usually the basics. If I can learn to do so many mechanical things anyone can!!!! Danny gave super advice....take your time and learn as much as you can. Don't be afraid to ask questions-some idiot will always say something like "did you do a search already??" But there will always be some assholes out there-most people here are really solid folks with a wealth of information! So don't be afraid to ask and WELCOME!
Thanks for the welcome! It's definitely hard to restrain the human nature of wanting to get the thing done that one has decided to do, sometimes rational behavior be damned!

That blue one has a one piece fiberglass front end. Sometimes cause wiring issues.
I was wondering about that blue front end--in all the looking I've done I haven't seen a flip-up hood like that. Is that from a different model altogether?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom