Hello Everyone…From a newbie in Belmont, NC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just wanted to say hello to everyone and say a few things about myself. I just recently purchased a 71 FJ40 because I have always wanted one and since I'm kinda grown up now… I'd figure what the hell…you only live once. I have had an 86 FJ60, A Jeep CJ7, YJ, and TJ but the FJ 40 is the one that's on my bucket list.

On to the FJ. I bought it as a father and son or maybe daughter project. I have a feeling that my 6 yr old daughter might help me more than her 11 yr old brother :)

The FJ is at my buddy's house right now because it doesn't run and I am in an apartment and I don't want to bring it here until it's running. I hope to find a house within the next year so I can mess with it in peace.
So the PO told me that he bought it from his friend who was passing away and his friend had just rebuilt the motor back in 2005. The PO has about 300 acres of land that he and his family uses to camp and hunt and used it just to get around his land on the gravel roads there. He only put about 500 miles in the 12 yrs that he owned it. He parked it in a carport and had a tarp over it whenever he wasn't there to use it. Anyways, he said that it would crank up and run good until this last time when he tried to crank, nothing happened. He lives 3 hrs away and doesn't have time to mess with it and figured he should just pass it on to someone else to enjoy and just buy a side by side. I did notice the power wire for the ignition coil was hanging on for dear life but I did mess with it and got the motor to turn over at least. Battery seems very weak and the motor barely turned over. Could be bad battery, not getting a good connection, or maybe not getting good ground? Anyways, I haven't had a chance to mess with it yet but I will soon. I plan on keeping it stock for now and just enjoying it first. I have ordered a Pertronix coil and electronic ignition set
to replace the points. Also new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, thermostat and gaskets, fuel filter, oil filter...the usual tune up parts. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.
Storm.

IMG_7772.PNG

IMG_7774.PNG

IMG_7770.PNG

IMG_7769.PNG

IMG_7771.PNG

It's a creampuff, congrats!

Nice rig! Your kids will have great memories helping you and riding in your 40. My 6/71 has the 4 piece front seats. Yours must be a later production. That's definately a newer steering wheel on the 71 column, fyi.

What's under the hoodo_O
If you have the OEM 71 vacuum retard distributor you might follow FJ40jim's(cruiser guru) instructions. He's advised don't hook up to vacuum, cap the vac fittings, set timing to 10 deg TDC.

Looks like the rear of the tub has been repaired, missing rear side marker lights. No rust to deal with is good:cheers:

Nice rig! Your kids will have great memories helping you and riding in your 40. My 6/71 has the 4 piece front seats. Yours must be a later production. That's definately a newer steering wheel on the 71 column, fyi.

What's under the hoodo_O
If you have the OEM 71 vacuum retard distributor you might follow FJ40jim's(cruiser guru) instructions. He's advised don't hook up to vacuum, cap the vac fittings, set timing to 10 deg TDC.

Looks like the rear of the tub has been repaired, missing rear side marker lights. No rust to deal with is good:cheers:

Thanks thebigredrocker! I believe my production was 10/71 if I remember correctly. I got the stock inline 6 with the 3 spd. Thanks for the tip on the vacuum, I'll have to check that out. Don't let the picture fool you, there's some rust that will need addressing. The right rear quarter has rust and bondo. I plan on replacing the rear quarters and some of the floor because the PO just cut out a hole a slapped a thin piece of metal on top.

Hopefully it still has the stock Aisan carb.

The searching I've done has also led me to believe the VSV is not needed and can be removed or capped off.

You know...... if it has sat with the top off, you may want to crack open the transmission fill plug. Hopefully water doesn't piss out.

Hopefully it still has the stock Aisan carb.

The searching I've done has also led me to believe the VSV is not needed and can be removed or capped off.

You know...... if it has sat with the top off, you may want to crack open the transmission fill plug. Hopefully water doesn't piss out.
Thanks and I will do that. I need to do a lot to it before I can take it on the road. It has leaky wheel cylinders from what I can see and I didn't even realize until you mention the rear side markers. I also don't have the side mirrors and I plan to find some rear jump seats and a spare tire carrier as well.

Nice Rig This is the place to learn all the info you want and then some!! There is a lot of very smart people here that are willing to help you thru the process. Just read away and you will learn a bunch!! Welcome !!

JP

Nice Rig This is the place to learn all the info you want and then some!! There is a lot of very smart people here that are willing to help you thru the process. Just read away and you will learn a bunch!! Welcome !!

JP
Thanks JP! I am learning a lot already.

Good for you... course you'll be finding that you no longer need/want the Jeeps!:D

From time to time, i do spot a few FJs , and i really wish to restore them all :hillbilly:
Mine is a 1983 BJ and im born in 82, and i like my rig very much.
hope to see your rig restored soon , cheers

Nice rig. I recently moved from CA to Rock Hill SC. Owned an 80 for several years, now looking for a 40. Hope I can find one in as good as condition as yours.

Nice rig. I recently moved from CA to Rock Hill SC. Owned an 80 for several years, now looking for a 40. Hope I can find one in as good as condition as yours.
Thanks murphy744! I got my friend into the FJ40 now that it's sitting at his house and all his neighbors are complimenting it, he now is looking to buy one. Guess the FJs will do that to you. He's looking for one that doesn't need too much work so I just found a BJ40 in Charleston Craigslist and sent the link to him. Good luck finding yours and let's keep in contact so we can help each other out!

Storm.

@StormRider @murphy744 - welcome! Here's your target milestone for getting your rigs up and running(and purchased)!

You should look into joining a local club, both Olde North State Cruisers and Upstate Cruisers are active in your areas, great peeps with lots of knowledge and good events.

Below is a link to the Relic Run in June, from there u can check out our ONSC clubhouse and membership. Hope to meet u guys in person some time, I'm desperately trying to get my rusty , no wait "patina-ed" 40 trail ready by June but I have a 60 as a backup in case I miss my deadline.

ONSC's Relic Run 2017 - June 9th-11th 2017

NC- Olde North State Cruisers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom