Heater lines cracked and leaked out all my coolant (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tampacruiser95

Upgrades are coming.
Threads
Luckily my truck didn't overheat before I realized. Has anyone ever bypassed the heater lines altogether? Or at least the rear heater line - and for lack of a better term, just removed and "capped" under the hood? I don't use, nor do I anticipate a time when I will use the rear heater. I want to fix it with OEM parts, but not the one I don't use...

Yup on the rear bypass. Search here and their are like a 1000 threads on it, some with excellent pics. It shouldn't take long to do. Use Gates Green hose for the replacement/ bypass lines. Cheap to do and ensures a much more reliable cooling system.

Have you checked your Pesky Heater Hose(PHH) on the drivers side of the block?

No I haven't checked PHH, but I am glad a bypass is an option.

This is how I bypassed the rear:

39424510288480416162.jpg

40950934258274122864.jpg

97159620264670084046.jpg

that's how mine looks too. no rear heater in either of my 80s

Same, don't have a pic. While you are doing hoses get that PHH swapped out. It is a bomb waiting to happen

Yeah will do, same thing my go to car place told me. Thanks all...

does anyone actually use their rear heater anyways? if anyone needs one, i have one for sale :)

honestly, i've never turned them on in either 80. do they work well? i removed it in the marshmallow because the hardlines underneath looked like they'd been under the u.s.s. constitution for the last 20 years. i loved having the space under the seat for crap. so when the new engine went in fat bastard, bypassing the rear heater was the first thing that happened.

dammit....don't tempt me....was thinking the exact same.

indeed I have never used it - but for some odd reason (in my father voice) I was "keep my car stock so when I sell it...."
but damn considering it is just there waiting to fail - u got s me thinking again....

and come on - when am I going to sell ????

Bf

It all depends on the climate where you live. I use the rear heater in the winter here especially when its below zero and there are passengers (or the dog) in the back. It helps even out the heat so I'm not roasting in the front while trying to warm up the rear. If I lived in a warm climate a bypass would make a lot more sense.

The rear heater puts out a lot of heat since there is no temp adjustment. I can barely keep my hand over the vent it gets so hot.

Ebay

Do a search for HPS silicone hoses

There's a full replacement kit with all the hoses you need for the firewall and PHH, but to bypass you'll need to order straight hose and cut to fit

Thanks very much! This will be my next project. I have been meaning to do this for a very long time.

I also wanted to ask, where did you get those hose clamps? Those are considerably more heavy duty than the ones I have used previously.

So if I want the rear heater operational for northern Colorado winters, and install the HPS silicone kit for my existing heater hoses and the PHH hoses, what is so unreliable about the rear heater itself, or is it just the hoses from the firewall fwd?

I also wanted to ask, where did you get those hose clamps? Those are considerably more heavy duty than the ones I have used previously.

Also EBay.

Do a search for "Breeze Stainless Steel Constant Torque Hose Clamps"

what is so unreliable about the rear heater itself?

The piping leading back to the rear heater core has a tendency to rust and eventually fail.

It's a pita to replace since it's above the exhaust system, so I bypassed it as a means of PM.

Even though my rear heater was in perfect working order, I just felt it was one less thing to worry about :meh:

Call me one of the odd men out, but I like having the extra heat from the back when the temps are hovering around zero. This is on my future upgrade list as the OEM rear heater hoses are looking pretty bad ...

51BFslKSzUL.jpg

• Replace FZJ80 stock OEM rubber pesky heater Hoses (aka phh) and the firewall heater Hoses which can eventually weaken over time, leading to premature failure
  • Withstand the harsh high temperature and high pressure operating conditions of the engine yet still maintaining peak efficiency during competition or daily driving. Max Temperature Rating: 350 deg. F (177 deg. C)
  • Perfect fit replacement for your OEM rubber Heater Hose, it is not a cheap one size fits all universal hose you get at the local parts store that you have to fight with to install
  • Includes 100 percent stainless steel industrial grade liner clamps which would not cut thru the silicone hoses.
  • Vehicle Application: Lexus 1996 1997 LX450 FJ80 4.5L I6
:blackalien:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom