Headlight upgrades and VA Safety Inspection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dozer18

SILVER Star
Threads
Gents,

I'm looking to upgrade the headlights in my 62 using the popular harness from slcfj62 here on Mud, and wanted to upgrade the headlamps to H4/H1s. However, H4s - and any non-DOT headlamps - are technically illegal here in VA (but H1s are okay). Are any of you running these and/or have any of you had issues with the VA safety inspection with regards to upgraded lights?

I will retire from the Navy this summer and will have to officially become a VA resident, so I have to think ahead to registering my Cruiser here. I hate to relinquish those Florida tags... :cry:

Thanks in advance!

Dozer

How much do you drive the 62? Anything over 25 years old qualify for antique plates but you can't daily drive it. But if you get the antique plates there's no property taxes, no emissions and no safety inspection.

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/antique.html

We (state inspectors) did get a memo. The lights that are too bright are blinding people at night and causing problems. Make sure your aftermarket lights all have DOT on them.

How much do you drive the 62? Anything over 25 years old qualify for antique plates but you can't daily drive it. But if you get the antique plates there's no property taxes, no emissions and no safety inspection.

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/antique.html
It's my daily driver...

It's exempt from emissions in VA due to being over 25, and property tax is minimal based on blue book value.

We (state inspectors) did get a memo. The lights that are too bright are blinding people at night and causing problems. Make sure your aftermarket lights all have DOT on them.
Thanks for the heads up. I certainly want it to comply, but this particular thing with the headlights seems a little silly considering that E-code lights have been used for over 40 years in Europe. Not sure why we think DOT standards are so special, other than to prop up sh**ty headlight manufacturers in this case. It also drives me crazy that some states have inspections, while others (like Florida) don't. :bang:

Rob, Did they change the rules about having covers on them? The truck that I had that failed for non DOT fogs had covers. The inspector removed the covers to check the lenses and then failed them. I thought you used to be OK as long as they stayed covered on the street.

I will have to check but if they have covers I think they are fine.

Why not go with these? Hella Vision Plus Conversion Headlights 003427291
What do you do in the Nav? I retired 2 years ago and am happy to pass on my lessons learned.
Been working with Erik (slcfj62) to figure out what we can do. Was hoping to get away from sealed beam and do the H4/H1, but I don't want to dance with the inspectors every time it comes up. Vehicle inspections are new to me after 20 years as a Florida resident... Even when I lived in CA, I didn't have to worry about this stuff.

I was a pilot in the Navy but spent the last 7 years doing other things. We met briefly at the swap meet last fall; I recently returned from an attache tour in Hong Kong...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom