Has anyone advanced the timing on 1FZ-FE? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just bought my 97 LX450 and drove her home from SLC to Denver over several high altitude mountain passes. I heard no pinging but it seriously lacked power, especially up those passes. I'm having my local shop look it over this coming week and may ask about advancing the timing. I'm curious where it is set right now...

Just bought my 97 LX450 and drove her home from SLC to Denver over several high altitude mountain passes. I heard no pinging but it seriously lacked power, especially up those passes. I'm having my local shop look it over this coming week and may ask about advancing the timing. I'm curious where it is set right now...
My gut says it's just an old FZJ80 and you are at high altitude without a turbo. I'm at sea level and it lacks power compared to our '05 4Runner with 4.7 V8. You can probably get a little more power by making sure all the spark plugs, leads, distributor cap and rotor are all fresh and new. Make sure you have a battery in good shape.

I pushed mine forward 3° (6° total advance) about 3 years ago. I never really noticed any difference in power or fuel consumption. I have often thought about going back to stock but never get round to it.

I pushed mine forward 3° (6° total advance) about 3 years ago. I never really noticed any difference in power or fuel consumption. I have often thought about going back to stock but never get round to it.

That's what I run mine at too...but more to address any 'slop' that might be in my timing chain (325K miles).

I want to advance 4° (7° total advance), in your experience can I still run the lowest-grade 85/87 octane gas without pinging, or do I need to bump up to mid-grade/premium?

Try it. If you get any pre-detonation then screw it back a little. I have run 7° for a few years with no issues. YMMV..

Try it. If you get any pre-detonation then screw it back a little. I have run 7° for a few years with no issues. YMMV..
Will do. I'm not very sure what pinging sounds like (I watched a few Youtube videos), just don't want to hurt the engine. I guess the knock sensors will pull timing if necessary.

I've been running mine at 9-10⁰ static advance for about a year. Never had any sign of pinging.

Initially I noticed it pulled harder from low RPM.
Mine is manual trans. Taking off, or accelerating after a corner etc, it had stronger pick up.

More recent I've wondered if I should dial it back a bit. The initial improvement doesn't seem to be there, but may have just gotten used to it.

I experimented with different degrees of initial advance and used my electronic stethiscope to listen in on knock, i found whilst running 91 octane(opal fuel) and anything from 6-12° of advance the engine did not ping, but soon as i went over 13° it would ping, then the ecu retarded the timing, so i left it at 10°, it pulls hard from idle through the mid range, engine runs much smoother, idle quality is way better and the exhaust smells like an old engine running super, lol.
Fuel economy has gone from 16.7L per 100km to 15.3L per 100km.
Another thing, previous to changing the timing, the engine gave its best economy at 105km/h, it now likes to sit on 110km/h.

I have always ran advanced. Ran 3° after refreshing just to make sure, then back to 9° for the last 2 mountain trips. Soooo much better now....

I saw mention in 80scool archives, of advancing the timing ~ 3 deg of the FZJ80 (in service mode, without ECU control), to get more power and better efficiency.
The logic of why it is a win-win situation, as far as I can tell, is that the timing is set very conservatively to avoid really bad gas from causing a knock condition, kicking in the large incremental jumps to retarded timing. In countries where gas is generally good, the timing can be bumped up a little.
My question is, has anyone in the US tried this, and have you noticed any changes? I'm skeptical that this is a completely beneficial thing to do, even with great-quality gas. Seems like it would increase EGT, throw the O2 sensors off, increase NOx or other bad emission gases, or in some other way have a detrimental effect.
Thanks,
kenton
So what's the verdict on advancing the timing? I have a 93-80 and I just got the tune up parts for the car delivered to the house. Should I advance it a few deg? It currently runs like sewing machine but I would love little more power.

Great Thread, thanks to all for contributing. I just finished breaking in my refreshed 1fz, I'll start a 6* and see what's up.

Gonna bump an older thread here... regarding timing. I recently had to smog my 94, and while it passed emissions, evap etc. the tech came back and said he failed it because the timing was set at 15*

He set it back to the factory recommended 3* but advised me it would run more sluggish. I had him mark the dist where it was previously set just in case i want to bring it back to its presmog setting.
On the drive home I did notice it was running like a dogggggggg. I mean, 37's on stock gears its already a dog, but this was awful. I wasn't aware my timing was set so advanced.

So, finding this thread and reading that advancement is common, but 15* seems like a pretty aggressive number! However I never heard any pinging, knocking or other odd noises, and I usually mid grade gas.

Question is... do I set it back to the previous setting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom