Hard to start after driving (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1978 FJ40, Lately I've been experiencing difficult starts after driving. The initial start in the morning is without any hassle. Pull the choke, few pumps of the gas pedal and it starts with no problem. What I am having problems with is driving to the store and the engine is good and warm. When I come back and start the engine that is where I'm having my difficulty. It takes awhile to turn the engine over. It acts like it's been sitting in cold weather, or the battery has been drained. Once it turns over it's fine, but the restart is my issue. Any suggestions on what to check?

Steve

So are you saying the starter wont turn over the engine after it warms up? Sorry if I misunderstood.

If so, you can load test the battery at any auto part store. Same goes for the starter.

You can clean the terminals on both ends of the battery cables. The lazy way to confirm this is use jumper cables to bypass the battery cable in question.

The forty I drive did not have a ground cable from the starter directly to the frame. This actually help start the engine easier.

If you have issues try ohming out the ignition starter switch.

I had the same issue with my 1980 Toyota pickup. It always started great in the morning. But after driving some miles and then shutting down, it would not even crank at first like the battery was dead. Usually after a few tries it would finally decide to crank and then it fired right up. But it always worked after I tapped the starter. Turned out to be a dying starter solenoid. Cheap and easy fix.

So are you saying the starter wont turn over the engine after it warms up? Sorry if I misunderstood.

If so, you can load test the battery at any auto part store. Same goes for the starter.

You can clean the terminals on both ends of the battery cables. The lazy way to confirm this is use jumper cables to bypass the battery cable in question.

The forty I drive did not have a ground cable from the starter directly to the frame. This actually help start the engine easier.

If you have issues try ohming out the ignition starter switch.

I really don't know if there is an issue with the starter. On other vehicles that I have owned in the past, there was always a clicking sound when the starter was faulty. I'm not hearing that at all. I'm not saying that it's not the starter, maybe that would be a good starting point for me to look into. I drive a few miles, stop to get something and try to restart the engine and it takes a few times before it turns over. The engine just drags like the battery has drained, and then it starts right up after a few tries.

Not hard to find, but most shops want a matching core, so they will not want an old non-GR FJ40 starter in the 'core' box that you take back to the store. You could also try to find a place that sells starters without requiring a core. Or, eat the core charge. Check rockauto.com

I would also pull the battery cables and clean them, and the battery posts thoroughly. Do the same on the other ends of the cables. Also the Black/White wire from the key switch to the starter may have a poor connection made worse by heat. Next pull the starter, take it apart and clean and lube it, clean the commutator and brushes and inspect their length. It could just need some TLC. Then, since you have it off, take it to Auto Zone and have it load tested.

Cleaning grounds and contacts is always a good place to start... and you'll never regret having done it.

The FJ60 gear reduction starter will fit the FJ40. It uses a much smaller and faster spinning electric motor to drive a planetary gear system which drives the flywheel through the Bendix. The old starters drove the flywheel directly through the Bendix and spin MUCH slower.

The FJ60 starter is lighter, uses much less current and spins the motor faster. This all adds up to faster starts.

I would also pull the battery cables and clean them, and the battery posts thoroughly. Do the same on the other ends of the cables. Also the Black/White wire from the key switch to the starter may have a poor connection made worse by heat. Next pull the starter, take it apart and clean and lube it, clean the commutator and brushes and inspect their length. It could just need some TLC. Then, since you have it off, take it to Auto Zone and have it load tested.

Will do...start with the smaller easy troubleshooting and go from there. Also want to say that your numerous posts on these vehicles have certainly helped me in the past. Thanks Coolerman.

The only thing you need to change will be the connector on the Black/White wire going to the starter. You will need a female connector I sell to fit the FJ60 starter. Part # FLF1P6.3W $1.55 each.

The only thing you need to change will be the connector on the Black/White wire going to the starter. You will need a female connector I sell to fit the FJ60 starter. Part # FLF1P6.3W $1.55 each.

Can you please PM me with your address and payment method so I can purchase one

Pay-Pal to fj40coolerman at gmail dot com
Your total would be $4.55 including shipping via US Mail. Please include your shipping address on Pay-Pal or email it to me. I can ship it out tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom