Builds Hammersaurus Lex - The LX470 gets tons (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I made a rack to go above the spare tire:
4yXYx0i.jpg

30AqiNU.jpg

g7OhBQz.jpg

Rack looks good! Does it have to come out to get your spare out, or is there enough room to slide the tire out (and over the nut plate) while the rack is in place?

Rack looks good! Does it have to come out to get your spare out, or is there enough room to slide the tire out (and over the nut plate) while the rack is in place?
Thanks! Rack stays in place. There's about 1-1.5" of space above the tire so you just yank the tire backwards and it slides up and over the nut plate. I rounded over the nut edges to make it less work, as well. I assume I'll end up stuffing stuff in between the rack and the tire like a tarp, welding blankets, those little foam pads you interlock and put on the ground when you have to work on your rig in a parking lot, etc.

Yeah nice rack Nuke- I'd need a come-along to pry that friggin monster truck tire out of there. Hefting a 37 way up on your tail gate makes my nuts hurt thinking about it. Enjoying following the progress of you build.

I just noticed the fuel tank skid in post #298- cool idea. And then I noticed the 6T harbor freight jackstands in the background. Theres a recall on those- check to make sure you don't have the ones that will try to kill you.

Last edited:
I assume you can get your lug wrench through the mesh on your rack to get the tire hold-down unbolted?

Yeah nice rack Nuke- I'd need a come-along to pry that friggin monster truck tire out of there. Hefting a 37 way up on your tail gate makes my nuts hurt thinking about it. Enjoying following the progress of you build.

I just noticed the fuel tank skid in post #298- cool idea. And then I noticed the 6T harbor freight jackstands in the background. Theres a recall on those- check to make sure you don't have the ones that will try to kill you.
It's not a 37 - it's a "41.5" so its even more painful than you'd think.

I think those are "Torin" jackstands. I usually use 12T jackstands when supporting the rig, for whatever that's worth.

I assume you can get your lug wrench through the mesh on your rack to get the tire hold-down unbolted?
Yes, though twice now I've pulled the wrench back through the mesh and the socket came off the extension and then fell through the spokes in the wheel.

Some food for thought. If you wrapped a ratchet strap (or similar) around the diameter of your spare with a handle on the strap, it'd give you something to pull on for removal.

Some food for thought. If you wrapped a ratchet strap (or similar) around the diameter of your spare with a handle on the strap, it'd give you something to pull on for removal.
Yeah. It's easy already to remove

That's crazy that someone else has an LX470 that looks just like mine.

So I went for a shakedown run at Hollister. Other than adjusting coilover preloads and dual rate stops and other misc crap, it was mostly uneventful. We ran "white rock" up to Hector Heights, part of McCrazy, some stuff on the obstacle courses, etc. Relatively fun, until the end:

Pics:
gHVtEzZ.jpg

ggyOAEg.jpg

Overall impressions? It's bigger and dumpier than the 80. It's nicer so I'm less inclined to YOLO it for now. I need to adjust the bump stop pressures still and do some rear bumper "clearancing". The sway bar still also wants to rub the frame in the rear so I need to tweak that out a bit more. Skid plates work great, overall performance is fine. I forgot to carry a pressure gauge so I was running "something" psi all day, but it was overall pretty good. The V8 but especially the A750F is nice for the low first gear, but the gated shifter is annoying to go from R to L. I don't know how you guys do it, unless you don't really crawl your 100s that often so it's irrelevant or something. Maybe there's a manual valve body available?

Side note: I hate the "tesla" style radio and if anyone ever reads this, do yourself a favor and avoid it. The volume controls are on the wrong side of the screen, it doesn't reject any noise from my Yaesu VHF radio, it doesn't sound great, the screen is impossible to see, the HVAC controls suck, and it's slow to load etc.

Anyway, I ended up also having an embarassing failure at the end of the day - my upper link in the front "folded." For those of you who don't remember, I put a slight bend in it to clear the motor mount on the driver side. Well.... 2" 0.120 wall wasn't thick enough (the JKs use smaller OD tube for their bent upper 3-link, but that's in the rear...). Under throttle, near the end of the day, the link buckled and my front driveshaft prevented the axle from spinning all the way over. Oof. So now I need to either relocate the motor mount or beef up the link. I'm going to beef up the link, but also use a square tube instead of round, which has a greater moment of inertia in the plane I care about.

DxaXFzq.jpg

nswsOZb.jpg

am1xaK9.jpg

The nice thing about spicer 1350 joints is that they're easy as heck to swap out, so no biggie there.

Overall, it was a good shakedown run. I'm glad I found out one of the main weak points before doing anything more substantial with it!

PS night view did not help

When you stand back and look at it, do you think to yourself, "that's just a 100 on big ass tires," or do you think, "that's a bad ass 100 on big ass tires" all smug like?

If it was me and mine, I'd be smug as s***!

When you stand back and look at it, do you think to yourself, "that's just a 100 on big ass tires," or do you think, "that's a bad ass 100 on big ass tires" all smug like?

If it was me and mine, I'd be smug as s***!
A bit of both. I'm proud/smug about the complexity and overall (except for that upper link) proper engineering of the suspension and drivetrain "stuff" since it had quite a few challenges to sort out. The actual wheeling experience isn't as raw or visceral as my 80.

Oh, the front-facing camera is entirely worthless, too

Reactions: sxp
Man, this truck is so retarded and I love it.

Incredible work.

Seriously awesome build!
It could be the camera angle but doesn't look like there is much room to stuff the rears on the up travel - any issues there?
I get about 4-5" of uptravel. It's tight of course but it works ol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom